Indoctrinating children

railsquid

Last Saturday was papa day, but due to the rain, we had to stay inside mostly. It was decided to dedicate running trains to the fictional memory of the romantic Meitetsu interurbans.

PHOTO_20160709_170800.jpg

• Like 6
Martijn Meerts

I tried getting my kid to enjoy the trains as well, but he keeps trying to eat them.

Of course, my kid is a parrot, so I guess it's only natural :D

Probably the last 300-kei Shinkansen in active service.

squidlet-shinkansen-1.jpg

My wife won't let me put one in our back yard for her kid (me).

Jeff

serotta1972

My 20 month old sat by herself with the controls this time and I was able to capture the moment.  There were many jack rabbit starts and emergency stops but she was getting the hang of the speed control and at times maintained a constant speed.  Lots of yay, clapping and choo choo train!  I might have to buy some extra Kato 115's for her to play with and luckily their pretty cheap.

post-2776-0-91703300-1468817755_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-91632200-1468817763_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

We went to the next meta level yesterday in the Resort Express Yuu:

PHOTO_20160717_153452.jpg

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 5
serotta1972

Our age 0-5 demographics in the forum looks pretty good, the future of the hobby is looking bright!   :)

• Like 1

Unitrack is interesting.

squidlet-track.jpg

"let me plan a layout"...

squidlet-catalogue.jpg

And this totally other book of trains

squidlet-book.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

And today's lesson is... the Yamanote Line.

squidlet-yamanote-line.jpg

The Squidlet loves to go through his book and point at trains and make me say the name multiple times, which is kind of educational for me when it comes to wierd Kansai stuff (I am now aware of the existence of such things as a "Kintetetsu Aaban Rainaa Nekusuto" and a "Nanpuu") but after having to repeat "Yamanote-sen" for the dozenth time I decided it was a good opportunity for some strategic Youtube, and I do love the expression on his face when he realises "train thing in book is same as train thing on TV".

• Like 2

Hahaha, I recently realised that my son is as terrible as I am. While watching tv, somewhere far in the background of a scene, a glimpse of a E231-500 passed, and instantly "A! Yamanote-sen!" Was uttered. The same in a train last weekend when he spotted a far away advertisement and shouted "Kirakira Uetsu da!"... My wife just stared at me with that 'things are getting out of hand' look.

• Like 5

Hahaha, I recently realised that my son is as terrible as I am. While watching tv, somewhere far in the background of a scene, a glimpse of a E231-500 passed, and instantly "A! Yamanote-sen!" Was uttered. The same in a train last weekend when he spotted a far away advertisement and shouted "Kirakira Uetsu da!"... My wife just stared at me with that 'things are getting out of hand' look.

Well she should be happy he could not be an observant kid or he could be observing much less desirable things!

Unfortunately he sounds like a chip off the old block, but not bad as your wife loves you (even with your proclivities!)

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Well she should be happy he could not be an observant kid or he could be observing much less desirable things!

Unfortunately he sounds like a chip off the old block, but not bad as your wife loves you (even with your proclivities!)

That's true. The only thing that can distract him when he's focussing on trains are pretty girls, so there is some room for improvement.

• Like 1

Earlier tonight at the club:

post-22-0-67346900-1471010525_thumb.jpg. post-22-0-13904400-1471010566_thumb.jpg

Cool t-shirt courtesy of forum moderator Jeff. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3

Coming home from the club the following day we saw this bendy bus and stopped to have a look at it. It's a very unusual bus to find in Port Kembla - can anybody guess why?

gallery_22_222_1469999.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Bored Squidlet, too hot and humid to play outside, so what better idea than to take a series of nice air-conditioned buses and trains to see some genuine Shinkansen? The ticket machine only wanted to issue a platform ticket in conjunction with the excess fare to Tokyo Station, but the nice lady at the ticket counter very happily sold us one for cash, no questions asked other than to check I wasn't intending to exit the system at the same station we entered. And gave us a little strip of Shinkansen magnets.

squidlet-shinkansen.jpg

• Like 5

My wife and I had some book-off days that coincided, so we headed south to Canberra to visit my brother and his tribe. We also paid a visit to the railway museum there:

gallery_22_222_1647192.jpg

gallery_22_222_594553.jpg

gallery_22_222_546579.jpg

gallery_22_222_1413001.jpg

gallery_22_222_1172259.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 3

Live from a little red train from Odawara to Hakone Yumoto.

IMG_20160923_133228_HDR.jpg

This is so cute... he even has the VSE50000 Plarail train and the Odakyu bus with him! Looks like an upcoming hardcore Odakyu fan!  :)   

This is so cute... he even has the VSE50000 Plarail train and the Odakyu bus with him! Looks like an upcoming hardcore Odakyu fan! :)

The bus is actually a German M.A.N. bus from Siku, but it looks a bit like the Mercedes Citaros we have running in nearby Machida on the Machi-13 Express (on top of my head). I'm considering getting a real Kanachu Tomica bus for him though, plus I'm seriously considering getting a few Odakyu model trains at the moment...

• Like 1