Indoctrinating children

railsquid

It takes a long time to walk down this street, as every time a train passes it must be Pointed At while standing still. Bonus points if a train comes along while the manhole cover is being Inspected

Nice one! Caught a Red Arrow in the act!

But it's not just trains in our house...

post-22-0-84224500-1465818320_thumb.jpg post-22-0-00706700-1465818372_thumb.jpg post-22-0-93042300-1465818406_thumb.jpg post-22-0-93949400-1465818450_thumb.jpg post-22-0-61214000-1465818483_thumb.jpg

Harry and I spent the day visiting the Fleet Air Arm museum at HMAS Albatross at Nowra. They have a large collection of aircraft and helicopters representing the various types flown by the Royal Australian Navy over the years. It's a great little museum which we both enjoyed seeing.

One thing surprised me, though. As a kid I built many Airfix models with my dad, some of which were types we saw today. I was surprised by how big some of them were. I always thought the Douglas A-4 was a smallish aircraft, but today I learned that they're not. I could walk under the thing without ducking!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Great photos of the kids! I recently saw a photo of a child playing with a handheld video game at a table with a pile of "creative toy" piled up on the other side untouched.

For me it was really sad to see.....growing up my favorite toys were trains (of course) racing cars, erector sets and building blocks.....all of these toys kept my mind active and i always thought of creative ways to design and build things. You guys are keeping the creativity alive in your children!

• Like 1

Riding some good old 205 Series. These'll probably stick around for a while, but let's see if they can make it until the Linear Shinkansen arrives in town.

PHOTO_20160618_105847.jpg

Switchback and snack stop: Hashimoto sta.

PHOTO_20160618_110445.jpg

Somewhere on the way between Kamimizo sta. and Banda sta. The bottle is an Odakyū Romance Car themed one that is used daily in daycare. There is one boy in a higher grade who has the same one and always boasts about it. I guess it's a thing to be proud of ;)

• Like 3

You think the hobby's expensive now. Get you're kid hooked and you'll spend twice as much. Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 1

You think the hobby's expensive now. Get you're kid hooked and you'll spend twice as much. Don't ask me how I know.

He came into the room this morning and pointed excitedly at the layout, so as a dutiful father I had to run a train for a while until he got bored :D

I think I'll have enough surplus left over to build him a mini-layout in couple of years, before that there's some Plarail and fake Brio which will be brought out from storage.

• Like 1

And he gets 3/4 the trains and stuff, eh todd!?

Jeff

More like all of it...

He came into the room this morning and pointed excitedly at the layout, so as a dutiful father I had to run a train for a while until he got bored :D

I think I'll have enough surplus left over to build him a mini-layout in couple of years, before that there's some Plarail and fake Brio which will be brought out from storage.

A mini layout'll keep him going for a bit but don't ever let him on the internet or show him pictures of other layouts and you may be safe. It's a slippery slope. But a fun one! No better way to spend time with your kids.

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

This is my 18 month old comedian at the controls of my HO layout.  Well, it seems he has taken ownership of it now.

l53.jpg

Edited by VJM
  • Like 6
serotta1972

I had that exact viewpoint last night while my 18 month old was running the Kato Green Liner with the Kato controller.  She goes full throttle and starts clapping and saying yay and chop choo!  I was just enjoying the moment and wasn't able to take a picture.  

• Like 3

This is my 18 month old comedian at the controls of my HO layout.

Nice one! VR prototype?

Cheers,

Mark.

Freelance VR.  The station is based on Bannockburn (but not the trackwork obviously); I had someone do all the buildings for me (scratch built).

• Like 1

At JNMA someone very thoughtfully put some pictures at toddler-friendly height:

squidlet-trains.jpg

Full marks to the Squidlet for excitedly pointing out the Seibu trains.

• Like 4

It was nice of the presenters to put train Picts down at kid level! We need to do more of that with the jrm layout displays. It is a good way to indoctrinate the small ones!

We have done this on a couple of museum exhibit exhibit designs, running a second kid exhibit down at the little kid level as if on foot or in a stroller they see only blank walls and mouldings and even the exhibit material itself a lot of the time have little attraction to a 5 year old or below! But clients never want to spend the money on it and fear it will cheapen thier main level exhibit. Sad as it can really help the family experience and bring kids into the museum more rather than just putting in a play area or attempting a kid only exhibit that rarely does much and does not help the rest of the visit for kid or parent...

Jeff

• Like 2

To be honest it definitely wasn't a child-friendly show, mainly hordes of people gathered round sales tables, this one happened to use some pictures of trains to block off the front instead of a sheet/tablecloth. JAM would be better in that respect, but I sure ain't taking him this year.

There was another vendor who had laid out some miscelleanous parts in boxes on the floor, which proved very tempting for a small toddler.

Anyway I think the Squidlet has finally understood the purpose of trains and definitely enjoys being on them, he was also totally unfazed by the crowds, which is a good qualification for life in Tokyo :D