Your Avatar, how did you come to choose it?

About to start work on the August icon.

Okay Aaron, who is your Avatar, not the character from Heroes?

Wow!

thats fantastic!  Anime dedicated to railfans, are there robots and tentacles and schoolgirls?  (it would be nice to have a break from them! :)

Graham

Wow!

thats fantastic!  Anime dedicated to railfans, are there robots and tentacles and schoolgirls?  (it would be nice to have a break from them! :)

Graham

No, no and no to the three in this series. It's a slice of life series for railfans.

I just find out a whole package of little Japanese train face. So cute!!! They will be perfect for implemented forum avatar.

post-156-1356992321459_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923214667_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923214733_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923214801_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923214865_thumb.gif

post-156-1356992321493_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923214994_thumb.gif

post-156-13569923215058_thumb.gif

hey were did you find these? i had some of those sites in japan bookmarked a few years back but the links went dead. i want to eventually put them on as stickers on all my train case ends (like microace does with a lot of theirs) to make it easier to find stuff visually. i have a neat jr stock book with n scale sized pictures, but would need to scan, easier if the art is already available. keep meaning to make a bento data base as well of all my trains and would be fun to have the art there in the db to do grid views, etc.

cheers

jeff

cool stuff, those front views, and I even found almost all  trains which use my home-station (zurich main station)....

I choose my avatar because it shows my main interest in modelrailroading. High-speed, ultra modern trains not much time yet for elaborate layouts*. I used a darkish picture (from Japan Railfan) of the E5 because the livery colour is less shocking in the dark.... But I have to say: the shape of nose is certainly amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on the model...

cheers

nozomi

*I have a layout (3200mm x 1200mm) but it's just a double track oval. the quite large space insinde the oval is filled with a yard. I have to find a way to staple at least 20 long trainsets and still be able to have a more fun circuit....

I always look forward to see if Aaron has changed his Avatar and try to guess what it's going to be next. I used to hope he would do it at the 1st of every month just as a reminder to me not to forget to buy a Month Rail pass for my commute to work.

Now I look forward to being surprised.  :grin

This month's icon, is from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya.

Love those front views.

Sorry - I found this thread a few months too late but heh why not?

My avatar is the Shinkansen Sign located inside Tokyo station. I was there in January this year and took a 300 series to Kyoto moments later.

Seems appropriate that collecting mostly Shinkansens that this sign would dictate where you will find them!!! :laugh:

And I didn't think anyone would notice....  :-)

Those pages make me feel better about our, um, mixed roster.  :grin

Disturbman's edit: all further conversation about CaptOblivious' roster will now take place in the following topic: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,2441.msg23769/topicseen.html#new

It's quite subtle but totally noticeable... it got me out of the corner of my eye. Like: "hey, something is wrong here. Look at the colors!"

Another thread I just found, I should look around more.

If you look closely at my avatar you'll see that's me sitting in C57 1's drivers seat.

I figured that must have been you in the cab of the C57. But surely you're on the fireman's side?  That's where all the real work gets done! :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I figured that must have been you in the cab of the C57. But surely you're on the fireman's side?  That's where all the real work gets done! :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Shhh. I know the fireman sits on the right in Japan but my story sounds better.

qwertyaardvark

it appears i haven't participated in this thread yet, so here goes~

my icon is from a scene in Byousoku 5 SENCHIMEETORU (5 centimeters per second, 秒速5センチメートル) and this "shot" is inside Shinjuku station. The movie, as well other Makoto Shinkai movies, have a lot of train motifs/scenes scattered about them. I loved his artwork ever since his first work, From a Distant Star; as you can see in the picture, his work is very detailed. Here's the official music video made for the 5cm/s movie with the theme song "One more time, one more chance."

The particular scene that i took a snapshot of just reminded me of my many hours that i spent looking at the abundant signage and wandering the train stations during my first visit to Tokyo. Yay Japan Rail Pass! While i wasn't exactly rail fanning, I did start my habit of joyriding metro systems in Japan (and elsewhere) to take a break from touristy activities or academic responsibilities.  :grin

post-221-13569923949938_thumb.png

Shhh. I know the fireman sits on the right in Japan but my story sounds better.

Sorry, didn't mean to give the game away!  :grin  But seriously, did you get to travel on the engine or have a play?

Cheers,

Mark.

I'm back to the long-term avatar. I asked HS to cancel my Sunrise Express order--it was too much of a splurge right now, plus I had ordered the 455 that I "needed" more. I tried a 455 avatar for a little while, but I need to re-do it.