Wanna buy a subway car? Cheap!

tossedman

Oh,

STM is just taking out of service one the best looking subway trains ever...

...and replacing it with uglier ones.

I hope they preserve some MR-63, especially a Jeumont set, for tour rides of the Métro.

Altrought the price (from 750 to 1000$) looks irrisory compared to the Eidan 500 series on sale by Metrovias (Buenos Aires Metro) wich costs 100'000 $ !

student design contest sounds like a great idea, maybe some novel things w/o scrapping. bridge sounds good as they are pretty well sealed steel tubes. just some supports and a couple of support girders! coat of good epoxy paint for the weather and a little maintenance (usually the real missing bit).

will be fun to see what they come up with. nice way to keep the old train history alive in the city as practical art/design as well for the future.

jeff

We just spent a schwack of cash on home renos. My son said it would've been better spent buying a bunch of subway cars. Guess he wants a 1:1 layout now.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Todd

Or a great layout room off the back of the house cheap!

Car $1000

Concrete pads. $4000

Transport $1000

Crain to lift it off the trailer and drop it in the back yard on the concrete pads $3000

Paying off the neighbors $$$

Probably still cheaper than a stick build addition and way cooler!

Still way cheaper than a stupid bathroom remodel -- and there is only one or two things they are really useful for!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Biggest expense would be the yard. Mine's pretty tiny. Make a neat layout room though. We saw a caboose in Fort Langley, BC last summer with a layout in it. Cool beans.

Todd

Edited by tossedman

The concrete pad is too expensive. How about: ballast, ties, used rail and placing it in a way next to the house that it can be jacked onto its own bogies placed onto temporary tracks then slid into place. Afaik someone in Japan did exactly this with an old cab car.

Layout room is a nice idea.

Reminds me of the Modeltrain Club Mainz. Their club-"house" is a Type 1934 Eilzugwagen.

post-3895-0-89009700-1459706374_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-33948500-1459706222_thumb.pngpost-3895-0-47312900-1459706237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Suica

I have always wanted a calaboose as a man cave. The cost of getting one shipped to the UK would probably be completely prohibitive though.

If the codes are like ours it will need to be a structure with a proper foundation to hold up to a 3 story structure (never know when you may expand up later!)

Seriously our screen porch addition has a cement foundation that can take 3 story load!

Todd,

Do you like the neighbors behind you or next to you? Then do it halvsies in both yards and share it!

Jeff

Wouldn't work Jeff. We've got 8 feet between the two houses. But my porch only has piles holing it up.

Todd

Edited by tossedman

The concrete pad is too expensive. How about: ballast, ties, used rail and placing it in a way next to the house that it can be jacked onto its own bogies placed onto temporary tracks then slid into place. Afaik someone in Japan did exactly this with an old cab car.

Except the cars have rubber tires.

• Like 1

Except the cars have rubber tires.

If this is the infamous french system, then the safety metal wheels shound be still there behind the rubber ones and they won't deflate over time.