Kato 700 Series Motor Car Issues

KomachiMaster427

KomachiMaster427

I've been having a problem with my power car for a little over a year, and I've sent to a friend that I thought could help, but he couldn't do anything. The car has power, as I can hear it humming when I turn up the track voltage, but the lights I installed don't come on, and it doesn't move at all. My friend did clean out the gear boxes and said that it should work fine, but to no avail nothing is happening. For those unfamiliar with this car it is item number 717-2 from the Ambitious Japan Starter Set. Please help!!!!

Hi,

Does the motor spin with power? It could be stripped drive shaft ends if the motor spins but the truck gears don't turn.

Jeff

KomachiMaster427

I'm honestly not sure. I'd have take the wheel assemblies apart and take a look at them. I'm trying to sell this set, even though it was my first ever Japanese set. I'm trying to upgrade. At this point I'd even consider buying a whole new car if necessary.

I'll take a look at one Saturday to see if there is an easy way to see the shaft on those. Usually if you open the top of the mech you can see the motor and shaft to see what is going on w.o removing the trucks.

When you say you hear it humming, does it sound like the motor is running?

Jeff

I think this is the picture of the 500 motor car which may be the same as the 700.

This is the drive shaft which has a plastic hexagon shape head that fits into the black cup (hexagon receiver).

If I'm not mistaken there is a long and short shaft.

The questions are .....

1. Is the humming the motor turning or is it humming because it is seized
  2. Is the motor turning
  3. Is the black receiver turning
  4. Is the drive shaft turning

The answer to these questions will dictate where the problem is.

gallery_153_24_1357005279_1052.jpg

to answer the questions you have to turn it over and apply voltage to the wheels to see which answer hold true.

Inobu

Spaceman Spiff

to answer the questions you have to turn it over and apply voltage to the wheels to see which answer hold true.

Inobu

The easiest way to do this is touching the drive wheels with a 9v battery.

Spiff