Tomytec motor chassis - couplers

velotrain

I've added these chassis to a number of shells, Tomytec and others, but haven't previously tried fitting couplers.  I'd like to do that on a current project, but the parts supplied mystify me.

gallery_941_192_11651.jpg

Here I've mounted the largest of what I consider to be shims, designed to bring the chassis closer to the body length.  What is the function of the two closely spaced holes at the end?

gallery_941_192_24036.jpg

Here are the coupler mounts, and this is where it gets really confusing for me.  There appear to be short and long mounts, each of which will lock into the actual coupler piece.  However, the longer one also has a female interface, which may or may not be intended to join with the male interface of the shorter mount.

Further confusing things for me is that even though the pins on these are at the same spacing as the holes at the chassis ends, their design will not allow them to attach securely - unlike the basic shim.

I've searched through the forums and the web generally, but find no info on this.  The miniscule Tomytec diagram is of no use.

I have used chassis TM-ED01 for my project, but it should be very similar to yours.  As you said the coupler has a female connection, which matches a male connection on the chassis.  

post-3846-0-63337500-1459216826_thumb.jpg

For mine the male mount was on the end of each truck.  

post-3846-0-11000200-1459216869_thumb.jpg

post-3846-0-06746300-1459217176_thumb.jpg

The spacers should each have both a make and a female end, and you just use one (or both, or none) of them to extend the coupler to whatever the correct length is for your body shell.

post-3846-0-48184100-1459217215_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The 2 close holes are for dummy couplers fitted on various models.  If the original did have dummy couplers, then ignore the closer holes.

The rapido coupler extenders are there to widen the gap between the cars to allow running on smaller radi curves.  Of the 20 something sets, I only found myself to use the smaller extender once.

This post from the Tomytec thread might help:- http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9842-keihan-Ōtsu-lines-model-trains/?p=132060

Edited by katoftw

Thanks guys.

One other question - the prongs on the coupler spacers are not long enough to connect firmly with the holes in the chassis, as the design doesn't allow them to fully penetrate - unlike the non-coupler spacers.

I take it this means that glue is required to secure them?

I believe it is designed to use either the holes/prongs to the chassis or male/female to the trucks, but not both.

The extdnders are not symmetric, but slightly wedge shaped to stay put on the bogies. You can use a bit of glue if you find the longer ones loose.

The 2 small holes are for the dummy couplers and the 4 tiny side studs are for the body mount close (tn) couplers.

You can only have one type on at a time. Many people use the dummies on the ends of a set and rapidos on the inside. Using close couplers everywhere is also possible but it might need the removal of the rapido mounts like on standard tomix stock.

Does anyone know where you can get more of these couplers/coupler extender sets? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy just those parts, and I just ordered 4 of these, and they all arrived with the rapido couplers, but no conversion pieces... I can't seem to get the couplers onto the base without that intermediate wedge-like converter piece.