Waterfall

marknewton

My son Harry is seen here running his 81 class loco and some passenger cars on our other club layout, Waterfall. It's a model of the station that I work out of, and that I live next door to. Harry has a small but growing collection of models that are suitable for running on Waterfall - the 81 is the first NSW loco he owned. Also visible is his Austrac 48 class, which I bought for him a couple of weekends ago while his mum and I were on a short break in the Southern Highlands town of Bowral. After I'd been in and out of what seemed like 20 antique shops I found a model railway shop, and that's where I spent my pocket money for the weekend! :)

25958069231_2b445970b8_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5
Das Steinkopf

Always enjoyed looking at that layout, I'm not a big fan of Australian prototype but It will say it is certainly one of the better layouts that I have seen at the exhibitions.

Mark,

Bet you are not more likely to go along on the antique shop runs if a model shop might turn up in the hunt! ;-p

it certainly was good news for Harry!

Great layout! its great you all have the space for a layout home like that for the club! so which house is yours there? Is there a little model of you on the front porch?

jeff

Mark - I'm curious.  That class 81 looks like overkill for a 4-car passenger train.  Was/is it actually operated in such a mode?

Das Steinkopf

Mark - I'm curious.  That class 81 looks like overkill for a 4-car passenger train.  Was/is it actually operated in such a mode?

When introduced the 81 class were used primarily for freight but would also do some passenger services, the coaching stock used on this train is reminiscent of of the nightly mail trains, those trains would leave Sydney Central at around 8:00pm and would have a couple of baggage cars carrying mail as well as a mix of passenger coaches. The days of locomotive hauled passenger services in New South Wales are sadly gone with the exception of the Indian Pacific, all country passenger services are run using either XPT's or Explorer DMU's with the more frequently used lines using the XPT, even then the XPT's are rather tired and need to be replaced after 30 odd years of service. These days the 81 class are purely used for freight as their ownership was transferred over to Pacific National when the New South Wales government sold its Freightcorp network, they are mainly used on container or wheat trains.