Unitrack switch connector

nah00

So I was pulling up some track to paint and one of the clear connectors on a turnout managed to snag itself and pull itself off of the wires. What's the easiet way to get it back on? I don't want to mangle it (anymore...).

If it still has the metal connector attached, then they just need to be pushed back into the connector.

If it does not have the metal connectors attached, the you will need to buy some more connectors and plastic clips and crimp the connectors.

Or if you don't like the sound of that.  Just get a spare extender cable, cut the wires and solder the turnout and extender cable together.

Edited by katoftw

Yeah the connectors are still in the plastic clip. I thought there was some way to push them out of there to re-crimp the wires and use the same connector.

Yeah you could possible attempt to push them out.  But they might warp into weird shapes as they are designed to go in and not come out.  It is worth a try.

Edited by katoftw

Look carefully the internal metal connector usually has one prong that pops out inside the housing to hold it in. Sometimes you can snake a small screwdriver tip into it and puts the prong back and then use an end of a piece of rod to push the connector back out the back (towards the wire side). I'll look at the kato tonight to see if it's possible. Some are pretty much one way!

Jeff

I was able to get a screwdriver in and push the two little prongs in to pop them out. You do warp it a bit but it's nothing that can't be fixed with pliers and tweezers. Hardest part was trying to uncrimp the conections - I eventually just gave up and pinched the wires on the top of them. Didn't sodler them as the switch works reliably now. Definitely was a pain though. 

Great to hear! Sorry slipped my mind last night to look. Good to hear the prongs can be popped in to pull them out, some are one way! I never pulled one apart.

I'll dig out the cheap clone ones I found on ebay and see if the metal bits are identical, the plastic housing needed a tad of shaving to fit well in kato sockets. You can find the tamya connector kits on ebay at times that are interoperable with kato connectors, but they can be more expensive.

Jeff