British Rail Class 800/801 (Hitachi AT300 / Intercity Express Programme)

Densha

The "privatized" British railway industry has produced worse...

Kind of sad that this will be running past/through areas which gave birth to the world's railways...

Kind of sad that this will be running past/through areas which gave birth to the world's railways...

Why exactly? Because of the livery...? Apart from the livery I think it's a pretty good looking train.

Or do you mean that the British now need to import technology that they actually invented, which I actually keep finding kind of ironic in some sense.

bikkuri bahn

Well, (correct or not) it was deemed sometime back in the seventies that moving around other people's money was more viable than actually building things...

Many probably know my aversion to using lots of white on rolling stock (some of the worst IMO are the ICE units on DB- very pleasing designs ruined by coloration, making them seem like the worms that come out of someone's nether regions...) The Great Western versions of these trains are much better.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Why exactly? Because of the livery...? Apart from the livery I think it's a pretty good looking train.

Or do you mean that the British now need to import technology that they actually invented, which I actually keep finding kind of ironic in some sense.

The latter...

• Like 1

I think the yellow nose is a british tradition and most old liveries had either white or creme in them. Imho these trains look good.

On the other hand, if you look in the US, most train orders that go to japanese firms are to replace Budd made cars with technology that was licenced from Budd to japanese firms. This is a side effect of globalism when the local government fails to protect local interests. At least Japan tries to avoid this error.

The bright side is that the UK will get the newest railway technology off the shelf and right now.

Claude_Dreyfus

Since the 80s, UK trains have had to have a high-intensity headlight to increase visibility, reducing the need for the yellow warning panel (itself designed for better visibility of 'quiet' diesels and electrics as they were replacing steam). The yellow panel itself has become less critical from a visibility point of view and there have been plenty of moves to get rid of them. That said, the unions aren't keen on this idea, so if it boils down to a safety verses aesthetics argument, we won't be seeing the end of them just yet.

TransPennine Express just announced they ordered 19 five-car bi-mode electro-diesel AT300's. These are basically the same as the IEP Class 800's. And... surprise, surprise... they don't feature the yellow nose any more. I really like this livery.

Sources:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/hitachi-awarded-transpennine-express-multiple-unit-contract.html

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2016/03/31/new-bi-mode-trains-for-transpennine-express/

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Interesting development. Not trying to be too cynical, but I really cannot see the need for 140mph (225kph) working on trans-pennine; 125mph is pretty much the UK maximum and a lot of trans-pennine workings involve circuitous and gradient-heavy routes where 125kph would be an aspiration, as opposed to a realistic target! Wait and see about the warning panel as well...this is only an artist's impression, reality may still bite.

They are electro diesels. The extra power could be used to keep a lower speed on a higher grade instead of slowing down and to have a higher acceleration from a stop. Also there is no rationality in ordering different trains when two other companies have already purchased them and can use the same spare parts pool.

Claude_Dreyfus

I don't dispute why the units have been ordered...it makes sense to piggyback off other orders, even if the trains are not 100% suitable; see the class 66 for a jack-of-all-trades, master of none (suspect build-quality, poor rail adhesion). There is limited scope for higher speed running, on the electrified East Coast and West Coast main lines, but the bit in between calls for decent acceleration and a good power to weight ratio. Can an electro-diesel provide such flexibility?

My cynicism is born out by some suspect train orders in the past. For example, the Cross Country Voyagers were nowhere near the quality of the HSTs they replaced (inferior seating, worse facilities, poorer ride-quality and half the length).

My cynicism is born out by some suspect train orders in the past. For example, the Cross Country Voyagers were nowhere near the quality of the HSTs they replaced (inferior seating, worse facilities, poorer ride-quality and half the length).

Unfortunately, I think the replacing old but better trains with new but inferior trains thing is something not only exclusive to the UK. I find a lot of modern European rolling stock to be nowhere near the quality of certain older stock. But on the other hand, there is also bad older stock and good new ones. I guess there have been good and bad quality trains at all times.

The GWR (Great Western Railway, not be to confused with Great Western Railway) presented its first Class 800 set yesterday at London Paddington station: http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/main-line/great-western-launches-hitachi-class-800-fleet.html

The GWR IEP leaving Paddington:

A 5-car GWR set passing Twyford:

360 degrees VR cab view:

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2

Hello,

If it wasn't for the yellow zinc cream on its nose, this train would look beautiful.

I agree, the GWR livery is one of my favorite