Tram stations for single-line track?

scott

I've been trying to figure out how to add a tram line to our layout (I know, when will the madness stop?). I drew it up in RailModeller as a single line, but then realized the tram stops might look odd with platforms on either side of a single line.

But then I found this page about the Toyama Portrams, which has a photo with the caption: "Stop has platform each side of single track because of one-man operation." But this is obviously an exception, since there are double-tracked areas, too.

So--will platforms on either side of a single track look weird? I could deal with them, unless it turns out that they just don't make sense for some reason I've missed.

I've been trying to figure out how to add a tram line to our layout (I know, when will the madness stop?). I drew it up in RailModeller as a single line, but then realized the tram stops might look odd with platforms on either side of a single line.

But then I found this page about the Toyama Portrams, which has a photo with the caption: "Stop has platform each side of single track because of one-man operation." But this is obviously an exception, since there are double-tracked areas, too.

So--will platforms on either side of a single track look weird? I could deal with them, unless it turns out that they just don't make sense for some reason I've missed.

Depends on whether your light rail has doors on both sides? If it is a double ender I would assume you have doors on both sides.

But I'm assuming you want a station on each side of the tracks because let's say the station on the north side of the track would be let's say outbound while the south side track be inbound? I think I understand.

In all practicality though I'm not sure anyone would builds two platforms for a single track to denote direction of travel on a single track line. I recall there are a few station on the Enoshima that have only one platform that serves both directions of traffic.

Well, single-sided would save space. But my n-scale passengers would have to be on their toes and not get on the wrong tram.

Well, single-sided would save space. But my n-scale passengers would have to be on their toes and not get on the wrong tram.

that's what destination boards, flipdot signs and rollboards are for  :laugh:

marknewton

Scott, there are examples of double platforms on single track used in Japan, as well as other countries, but they not very common. The deciding factor is the use of one-man cars with an passenger entry door on one side only , such as the Toyama Portrams.

The passengers will always enter from the driver's left, hence the need for platforms on that side in either direction on single track. If you are going to use Portrams or similar cars, go with the double platform, otherwise a conventional tram will only need a single platform for either direction of travel.

Cheers,

Mark.

disturbman

Anyway, Scott, if you don't put a loop at each end of your single track the double platform scheme doesn't work at all.

Martijn Meerts

And a loop of course means lots of extra wiring to make sure the polarization of the track changes so the tram doesn't short circuit ..

Unless you'll run them using DCC, in which case there are devices which are easy to hook up, and take care of the problems that come with return loops.

marknewton

Anyway, Scott, if you don't put a loop at each end of your single track the double platform scheme doesn't work at all.

Eh? It would most certainly work with a loop at each end.

Cheers,

Mark.

alpineaustralia
Unless you'll run them using DCC, in which case there are devices which are easy to hook up, and take care of the problems that come with return loops.

Martijn, can you give extra information on this?

disturbman

Eh? It would most certainly work with a loop at each end.

Maybe my english is too french. So let's rephrase it. If you don't have a return loop at each end of the single track then having a platform on each side doesn't serve any prurpose because the doors will be allways on the same side. After all double platforms are only needed in one man operations/unidirectional trams.

Martijn Meerts

Martijn, can you give extra information on this?

Not sure which companies have return loop devices, but I know Lenz has one for DCC. They're easy to connect, you just hook up 2 wires to the main track, and 2 wires to the isolated loop bit (the loop has to be as long as the longest train that will use the loop.) When a train goes through the loop and the polarity is wrong, there'll be a short circuit. The Lenz device detects this, and inverts the polarity on the loop bit. They used to have one that used a relais, but they recently released a new one that does it electronically, and is much faster.

There's some info here: http://www.lenz.com/products/modules/lk100.htm .. That's the older version, the US Lenz pages aren't quite up to date ;)

Scott - I know your set up is DC but have you thought of using a DC Auto Reverse Unit for your Tram line?

You would have to add 2 loops onto your layout, just a point to point section with bumpers at each end.

Here is a link to a thread here but this unit RU1-1 only does 2 points:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,813.0.html

Jeff is also doing an auto reverse unit but he bought the RU2-1 which does multiple stops along a route.

Here is his thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1255.0.html

Take a look it's another option.

Scott - I know your set up is DC but have you thought of using a DC Auto Reverse Unit for your Tram line?

Yeah, I was thinking of using an auto-reverser, but I thought there was a three-stop version. Is the two-stop version just one for each end of the line?

You would have to add 2 loops onto your layout, just a point to point section with bumpers at each end.

I'm not sure I can picture this....

The RU2-1 can do multiple stops, I think 5 is the max with what miniatronics supplies you. Check with Jeff.

A "point to point" is just a single piece of track with bumpers at each end, when the tram passes over a light sensor in the track, it automatically reverses the polarity sending the tram in the other direction.

A reverse loop is a loop at each end that returns back to your main line. You will need 2 turnouts for this plus a manual switch to reverse the polatity on the rails. For me personally, in DC I find manual reverse loops a pain.

Also by having 2 loops, it will take up more space on your layout which could be a problem if you didn't plan for this on your current layout. A "point to point" takes up less space. (Take a look at my Bullet train USA in personal projects towards the end of the thread, I have a "point to point" Tram line set up.)