Kato Hobby Centre Kyoto Station

katoftw

On March 19th. "A new concept shop", they call it, with a "traditional Japanese atmosphere" (!), so I guess mainly models of rickshaws and palanquins ;)

Looks really beautiful inside, more like a jewelry store than a hobby shop. 

If I ever visit the city as a tourist, I will definitely stop by the store and purchase a souvenir or two.

bikkuri bahn

The Kato hobby center in Osaka will close permanently on Mar. 10. The Kyoto store, with the higher rent Kyoto Station location, will not sell parts from the "Assy" line like the Osaka Store, so likely it will be of less interest to serious hobbyists.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

The Kato hobby center in Osaka will close permanently on Mar. 10. The Kyoto store, with the higher rent Kyoto Station location, will not sell parts from the "Assy" line like the Osaka Store, so likely it will be of less interest to serious hobbyists.

A shame as that was about the only reason to go to a Kato hobby centre over regular stores that stock all brands at usually discounted prices.  Still worth a look when I pass through Kyoto station in September though.

Edited by westfalen

One thing to cross off the to-do list.  As above.  Prices aren't great but it is the hobby side of it that appeals moreso over other shops.  Now it is just a shop.  It loses a lot appeal.  Luckily enough it is still in a building close to everything, so worth 5 minutes to look.

Unless I missed it with my terrible Japanese skills.  What part of the Kyoto station building will it be in?

Edited by katoftw

I'll take a look when passing through in August. Says that it is tax free so that could save 8% for overseas visitors (like me). i won't have time to get to the Tokyo one.

Edited by tridentalx

My next trip I will visit also.  I fail to walk around the Kyoto Station Main Building on my last trip due to time constraints.  And didn't go to the Osaka Hobby Centre cos it was a little out of the way from my travels.  But this now allows both in the same location.  But being a store moreso than a hobby centre, I'm doubtful of any huge surprises.