September 2009 Project Party

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

All,

JNS would like to invite you to participate in a project party. These parties have proved very popular amongst various hobby groups, particularly those over at ARC (www.arcair.com). They give the members a chance to showcase their abilities whilst creating something for their layouts.

Taking a lead from ARC, we here at JNS are going to allow one of you to host this party. It will then be up to you to decide what subject we base it around (if any), post some inspirational pictures, and take a vote at the end for the winning entry.

Also you will need to moderate the board set aside for this party, and that of the critiques board we set up for finished articles.

There are only a few guidelines (rules if you wish) that we would like to follow:

• Entries must fit in with the subject picked by the host
  • Final date is non moveable
  • The winning entry will receive a prize funded by the forum, which has yet to be decided. (The host is eligable for the prize as the winner will be voted for by the whole memberbase.)

So first things first, could anybody who is interested in hosting this, please PM me to register your interest. Bear in mind i would like to make a decision on the host by the end of this week with a view to starting the party August 1st.

Cheers!

Darren Jeffries

Bump!

I am extending the deadline for ideas and volunteers until July 17th. We are also postponing the proposed start until September 1st to allow people to get the summer out of the way.

Darren Jeffries

So basically, it'd be a modeling competition, with the judging held at someone's house?

Mudkip, no. The judging would be held by a vote on the forum.

No travelling required :grin

Darren Jeffries

Ok,

I would like to expand this question....

Who would be interested in participating in the party? I need an idea of numbers to work out which ideas to use that have been suggested.

I might be interested, but it depends on the project--if it's something I can handle with my very limited skills, then sure.

For me it will be something small, like a TT-Track module or a shelf layout using Tomix's tight curves. It will be my first trial so I don't want to see things too big and get other my ass. In fact the proposition I made to Darren was somewhat along those lines.

If it's something else than I will see. I might hop on the train as well but who knows. The only thing I really would like is too embark on some project that will enable me to run trains. I'm craving for it. If I was not renovating my appartment I think I will launch myself into some rail adventures. ;)

I don't even know what sort of thing was being proposed--are we talking about scratchbuilding a shed, or building a new layout, or something in between?

Darren Jeffries

Ok, I have 2 contenders for a party theme, just need to think a little more and will announce the winning entry tomorrow (Friday)

In the meantime, if anyone else has any further ideas, please pm me with them.

If you can't decide you can ultimately make the board choose what theme they want. Polls are also made for that. ;)

serenityFan

Ok, I have 2 contenders for a party theme, just need to think a little more and will announce the winning entry tomorrow (Friday)

the suspense is killing me  :BangHead:

LOL

If you can't decide you can ultimately make the board choose what theme they want. Polls are also made for that. ;)

I agree, I think the options should be posted as a poll and members vote on which project they would like to do. There are various skill levels and I would want members to choose a project they would feel most comfortable doing.

Darren Jeffries

I agree, I think the options should be posted as a poll and members vote on which project they would like to do. There are various skill levels and I would want members to choose a project they would feel most comfortable doing.

Unfortunately the 2 options are vastly different in complexity, and judging by some of the comments i have already had, people are going  to want a simple project theme this time around.

So here's what I am  thinking, both options are very good and i cant choose between them so we will do both. One for Starting in September and one for next March. How does that sound?

The two options I have had were:

• Vincent (Disturbman) - Mini Layout - Size restricted to no bigger than 35 by 70 cm
  • BC6 - Unusual Layout design party - the most unusual track configuration, extreme scenery, or track lengths

My thoughts are that we go  with these in that order.

Anybody disagree?

And just to put a spanner in the works, I'd like to throw in this idea:

Take a piece of MDF or your favourite wood, size 15cm by 15cm and create a diorama that can easily be slotted into a larger display.

My opinion, I would go with Vincent's idea and like you suggested, Darren, give the option of either a small layout or a diorama. Also I wouldn't limit the size of the project too much. For example, someone might have an idea for a diorama that needs to be at least 1'x2' (30cm x 60cm)

For me, bc6's idea is too extreme, it is more like an advanced fantasy layout that could be problematic. I wouldn't commit for March because we don't know what we will have as members in 8 months from now.

Otherwise it I'm excited about it.  

serenityFan

I'm excited as well ...

I could go for a diorama with some track going across (is that the same as a mini layout?  :grin)

Not sure yet if it is going to be stand alone or if it is designed to be part of my layout. The second option requires more thought on how it will all fit in ...

So what is the general rule? I am assuming you have to start from scratch on Aug 1, finish within the month?

Darren Jeffries

So what is the general rule? I am assuming you have to start from scratch on Aug 1, finish within the month?

Ok, Watch out for a new post from Vincent shortly. Full details will be given on the schedule and rules.

How should the organization be for the Party? Should there be a New Platform titled Project Party where each participating member has their own thread or do it through Blogs?

My personal choice would be a New Platform because Aaron already has a well designed and extensive Blog on his layout and people might think his Blog is part of the Project Party Blog. (There is no rush on a decision but it's something to think about.)

Bernard, there is allready a new Platform ready to accomodate posting, Number 2.5.

Each participant will have two threads:

- one for his updates.

- another one for questions and comments related to his project.