JNS world tour train?

cteno4

Martijn Meerts

I think the problem with the decals is that they don't go on a container all that well due to all the detail on a container (depending on the container of course). Using something like a setter/softener (Mr Mark Setter, Mr Mark Softer for example) should help some though. Basically it would mean painting a container grey, then add a gloss coat, then apply the decal using the setter/softer, and then seal it all with a flat or semi-gloss.

Toni, a mascot could be fun to have, I do think the logo is fine though. Although, the initial idea was to have multiple logo's and color themes based on various trains, the way the forum software does the theming makes it far too time consuming to keep them all updated.

serotta1972

I too vote for the original idea of having the same JNS car photographed in people's layout and shared as it travels around different parts of the world.

Yes I think perhaps keeping it simple might be best. Folks could photograph their own custom containers with the JNS container if they wished.

If Toni can get the art together I can get the container painted and decaled. I can see if I can find a lightweight box for a koki for shipping. One that is stiff, but not brittle.

The decals go on the containers well, We had no problems with the 19d containers doing the JRM containers. Only tough thing there was we numbered each with a tiny serial number that, unfortunately, was done with a separate tiny tiny decal... I was ready with softener but not needed.

If folks were interested I could make some extra JNS containers, but with shipping they would probably come out like $10 ea. Any little profit would go to the cost of the traveling koki and container. We can also have the decal artwork available for folks to make their own if they want, especially for those in places where it may be prohibitive to ship the traveling car due to customs and such.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I think we just need the JNS logo in high resolution. Martijn has it, doesn't he?

Are we then doing three JNS-logo'ed 19D containers on the KoKi? A single container feels so lonely on a large container flat car... Alternatively, I found a larger container that takes up half of the KoKi length, so of which you can put two on a KoKi.  I think the JNS logo also fits better on a longer container.

Yes for the logo we can use the larger containers.mthe 19d was if others were adding them and we wanted to keep it from growing too fast. Toni was going to see if he could come up with a mascot and maybe something special so that the car would pop a bit. Maybe one car with jsut the logo, one with a mascot and or one with a world tour. We can have 2 or 3 containers on the car.

Maybe one side of a container is a world map and folks could put a tiny dot with a fine tip marker for the locations visited.

Jeff

I like this idea, I also like a copy of the JNS container to keep it with me, then there is the other container that will travel around the world

Martijn Meerts

Sounds like we may need to do a whole bunch of JNS containers then ;)

I wonder if it might be possible to get some 3D printed, and then leave an opening for the logo on the container, and have the logo itself printed as a separate piece that slots into the opening. That way you don't have to do the whole decal thing.

(Also, I should still have a vector image of the logo, I just need to be reminded to actually go look for it, because I keep forgetting ;))

Yes it would be great! Actually there are companies who can do UV cured inkjet printing on 3D surfaces as long as the base color is white. This would allow printing anything (even photos or custom serial numbers) on the containers easily. I would buy one for sure. (that would probably mean 3 containers to Hungary)

The decals are actually pretty easy to do. It was only a few hours to do like 75 JRM containers. The only pain were those tiny serial number decals unique to each container which I would not do again! So doing a dozen or two for folks interested would not take a whole lot more time than making one. It's the shipping that will cost more than the container!

The only issue with decals is any white elements. But the logo does not have any!

Files can also be available for any that may want to print their own decals.

We can also make a papercraft version probably for those on limited budgets!

Jeff

• Like 4

I think there should be space on the container for individuals to place their own identification like layout or club name along with their location by whatever means they have, otherwise it will just be a train of JNS containers with nothing to show where its been.

My idea would be one of these lettered 'JNS World Tour' or whatever with each particpant adding their own container and the train growing as it travels.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10049707a2/20/2

It would be possible to ship JNS containers with blank ones. Then each club or person could decorate the blank one and send it back, while keeping the JNS ones. For example in case of HJMTC, we would pay for the (at least) 3 JNS containers and get a blank extra with them, decorate it for HJMTC and send it back. The decorated containers would eventually get back to Jeff.

To decrease the postage costs, multiple persons or clubs could organise relays, where the 1st one gets package, takes out a JNS container and decorates one in its place. Then the next one would do another swap until all the JNS containers are taken and all the blank ones are decorated, when the last person in the chain sends them back. It would be possible to do smaller runs for each region, passing the package in person between people/clubs near each other. This would mean two long distance shippings per region.

The photo runs would start with all JNS containers and the 1st custom one and end with all custom containers and the last person's lone JNS container. Then Jeff could pool the result of each run and get a full world tour set with one custom container for each person/club participating.

To decrease the postage costs, multiple persons or clubs could organise relays, where the 1st one gets package, takes out a JNS container and decorates one in its place. Then the next one would do another swap until all the JNS containers are taken and all the blank ones are decorated, when the last person in the chain sends them back. It would be possible to do smaller runs for each region, passing the package in person between people/clubs near each other. This would mean two long distance shippings per region.

would be cheaper to do the the original planned way the.  usa to uk, uk to euro, euro to jp, jp to aus, aus to usa.  only one long distance ship per region then.

We still have the issue to deal with if we add containers of where they all end up when this peters out. If it's just the originating container and kook then it can just reside with JNS admin until needed for another run or another use later.

Also I do worry that both it will put a lot of pressure on many to have to decorate a container (and that may discourage some) and it might also end up lengthing stays at places for the container to get done (especially if JNS is supplying the blank containers) and this could muck the whole process up. To decrease shipping costs we are probably going to be using slower shipping that will be 1-3 weeks between international jumps.

Increasing the package will just increase the shipping costs as well as potential customs and duty issues if they arise.

Last adding a string of custom containers does run the risk of disaster of loss along the way that would be hard to recover from, whereas if just the JNS containers they could easily be replaced.

I will print out a world map at the 20' width and see if it can stand having a bunch of dots put on it to allow something that could be added each location as an alternative.

Shipping w.in countries will help but we will need to have a detailed plan of its route to utilize this. Others who come in later will need to try to find ways to fit it in.

Jeff

• Like 1