Lamest excuse for buying a Train

serotta1972

serotta1972

or most creative justification!

The livery matches my local pro sports team color SF 49ers - I bought the Tobu 100 Nikko Special Event Color

The engine number is my birthday - Hogwarths Express 5972

This is one I hear a lot - "I've ridden on it"  :)

What are some of yours?

"I had one like it when I was a child"?

I do find myself ending up with locomotives or rolling stock as part of auction job lots then deciding I really need to find the rest of the train to match.

Some other 'excuses'?

- It's Cheap?

- I can brag I have this set

- Limited edition, what the heck...

- I don't have a train in this colour

- Looks like it will match my 'XXX' train

- Don't want to regret later

Davo Dentetsu

"I once saw it in an anime..."

Guilty guilty guilty.  DE10 would be my one that falls under this, although technically my Hokutosei EF81 was purchased before seeing it in a show... works both ways then.

serotta1972

"I had one like it when I was a child"?

I do find myself ending up with locomotives or rolling stock as part of auction job lots then deciding I really need to find the rest of the train to match.

I'm trying to replicate my first HO train set in N scale - I'm on the constant lookout!  So far I have a couple of the boxcars.  

Some other 'excuses'?

- It's Cheap?

- I can brag I have this set

- Limited edition, what the heck...

- I don't have a train in this colour

- Looks like it will match my 'XXX' train

- Don't want to regret later

Gotta have them in different colors!

Helping to keep the Japanese hobby economy alive...

It will be educational for the public displays with the club layout!

Actually used this a few times! Once was not cheap with the POMPA train as we were having a disagreement within the club about if we should run Thomas trains on it at shows for kids. first thought was to recreate the tourist train, but the POMPA turned out to be an easy fix as the kids thought it was Thomas and the bright cars helped, but interesting story with the real train!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

It looked lonely sitting on the shelf on its own...

Well, I could hardly buy one and leave the other...

I nearly bought a kit-built OO scale GWR Prairie tank today (2-6-2). It was labelled as a "project", apparently ran but shorted out. Body looked to have been assembled to a good standard. Would have needed new wheels (modern ones have finer spokes), new couplings (screw link to replace the clunky old three links it had - I'd guess they were ultra-scale in the '70s), probably a repaint, new numberplates and a sheet of lettering. You know what? If it's still there next time I pass that shop I'll probably end up buying it. I have nowhere to run it, but it looked like a fun rebuild!

• Like 1

I'm trying to replicate my first HO train set in N scale - I'm on the constant lookout!  So far I have a couple of the boxcars.  

Oh yes, that too:

gallery_1206_166_16236.jpg

1)I have a project/s in mind that this would be great for!

2) I am sure I can repair this and put it back on auction for a profit (mostly, I have been able to repair, but end up becoming attached to the item and keeping)

• Like 1

"I've ridden on it" applies to all but I think one of my trains. And that one was "I wish I could have ridden on it" (Twilight Express).

I certainly wouldn't be above "it looks cool" or "it's on sale!", though. But I have enough trains that I've ridden on to keep my wallet empty for a while, so I'll probably stick with that for now.

• Like 1
serotta1972

Wow spacecadet, I am envious!  I hope to ride some of the trains I already own next year that are of course still in operation.  

Of course, it becomes even harder when you're justifying buying something you can't find all of.

In my case that would be the Tomix Twilight Express. I have the restaurant car with working table lamps from a few years ago, and I'm looking at the basic set with the EF81, generator van and coach. Can't see the additional sets to complete it, but still tempted even if it will only be a three coach train!

In my case that would be the Tomix Twilight Express. I have the restaurant car with working table lamps from a few years ago, and I'm looking at the basic set with the EF81, generator van and coach. Can't see the additional sets to complete it, but still tempted even if it will only be a three coach train!

You can find these on Ebay periodically. I *might* be tempted to sell mine someday, since I never did get to ride it (my general criteria otherwise) :)

Edited by spacecadet

If I visit the new Kato shop in September I'll probably have to buy something because the place looks so good I'll be ashamed to leave empty handed.

How much is a rerailer or a packet of Unijoiners? :toothy11:

serotta1972

When Franciscan Hobbies existed in SF,  I would spend a good amount of time just looking at the display cases full of trains and would always buy something in the $10 range because I would feel bad leaving empty handed.  This is where I was introduced to Kato and got my first couple of Japanese Trains. I miss hobby shops, a lot more fun than browsing online stores. 

You can find these on Ebay periodically. I *might* be tempted to sell mine someday, since I never did get to ride it (my general criteria otherwise) :)

Oh, it's a way down the list yet. Need to order another two Tomytec motors and I really should buy the other expansion pack for my Tomix 500 Series Nozomi, as it won't be available forever and I'd have a fourteen car Shinkansen with both pantographs then. It's currently ten coaches long with only one pantograph, which looks a bit odd when you know the real thing has two.

Could also do with the Kato eight car add-on for my 700 Series, but Kato is rather easier to come by than Tomix here so it's lower on the list.

Drunkenclam

I just brought the kato 223-1000 4 car add on set from YJA. To smuggle some anime cels in the same package past the Missus. Hope she doesn't read this :D

Edited by Drunkenclam
  • Like 1