Maximum track - no scenery

velotrain

I've got two sets of Tomix 91011 - Tomix wide pc layout set pattern CA, coming in from David @  Loco1Hobby later this week, and I've been playing around with possible track plans.

The sets give me full loops of R354 and R371, so I started with those and a double crossover on a 3' x 6' board, the minimum space they would fit in.

I had a station on one side with one short track (4 cars?) and a longer siding on the outside (6-7 cars?).  I flirted with trying to fit a Kato overhead station with two island platforms.  I know the track spacing is different, but it seemed that zibbu had come up with a workable solution:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8079-my-modular-layout-shin-yamanote/

However, I ended up deciding that the inside tracks were going to be express only and those trains wouldn't stop here, so instead plan to have platforms for the outside of the outer tracks.

I realized that I'd need some storage tracks, so started to add some.  I didn't want any yard tracks coming off the station tracks, so added a long curved lead track to the yard on the station side of the layout.  On the other side, I decided to use a headshunt so the trains could be backed out of the yard tracks, then enter the inner main facing the correct direction.

I don't have many long passenger trains, but do have an Odakyu Romance 11-car set, a 12-car blue sleeper set, and an 8-car Twilight Express on reserve, so decided to try curved turnouts to give me even longer sidings at the station - I am aware that these are currently "long sold out".

I then realized that my existing yard tracks weren't even close to being long enough for these trains, so added two more curved turnouts to the yard lead near the station - giving me a couple of extra-long storage tracks that should do the trick.

Next I decided I really needed an enginehouse, which meant two more tracks.

Finally - I was looking at the headshunt on the bottom side and realizing that I also have a growing freight car fleet.  This got me thinking that I might dedicate the "south" yard to freight operations, and I created a run-around track (I think the Brits may call this a loop?) so I could manipulate freight car consists, even though all the cars will still have ugly Rapido couplers for the time being.  I also added short spurs for a road engine and the yard shunter.

I think I've succeeded in fitting all the track I possibly can, and have no idea if I'll ever build this monstrosity.  I would see it as a place to store and run the maximum amount of stock in a relatively small space, and perhaps use it to help discover what I might want in a more elegant and sceniced layout.

gallery_941_192_9290.jpg

Not too complex and if you replace the r280 turnouts with normal ones in a diagonal ladder, then you can either double the yard density or have some space for scenery.

MANDESS!?

THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DavideTreni