Gerry's Tomytec Bus and Tram Module Planning

gerryo

I will be starting to build a Moving Bus and Tram layout. After seeing Pauljag900's Video I just can't resist.

The track layout will be very similar, but my theme will be Japanese. The size will also be similar - just slightly smaller. I measured my car pretty closely before deciding on the size.

I felt that the way the Tomytec Bus and Tram roads fit together, there was not much option for the track plan, on a layout of this size. My layout will be 48 inches x 36 inches. This will fit on any community center table.

I will also use the adjustable legs as used on small T-Track modules to make the layout level.

For now I just have the A starter set from Tomytec, have ordered the A1 starter set, and this will get me started on buses.

As for Trams I have one Kato Unitram tram, which needs to be leveled up. I figure that someone had some old stock and saw a good mark in a far away Canadian. My other tram is a Modemo NT149.

My Japanese theme will include the Matsumoto Castle which I have recently built.

That is it for now, until I get some more stuff.

Gerry

Edited by cteno4

Welcome to the world of buses! The moving bus system has now become even more fun and interesting with the introduction of T-junctions, Cross Junctions, turnouts and U-turns, with maximum capability for expansion and complexity.

Please share with us the progress as i am very interested too in planning a moving bus system on my layout too ~

Gordon Werner

I will be starting to build a Moving Bus and Tram layout.  After seeing Paupjag900's Video I just can't resist.

The track layout will be very similar, but my theme will be Japanese.  The size will also be similar - just slightly larger.  I measured my car pretty closely before deciding on the size.

I felt that the way the Tomytec Bus and Tram roads fit together, there was not much option for the track plan, on a layout of this size.  My layout will be 150mm x 80mm.  This will fit on any community center table.

I will also use the adjustable legs as used on small T-Track modules to make the layout level.

For now I just have the A starter set from Tomytec, have ordered the A1 starter set, and this will get me started on buses.

As for Trams I have one Kato Unitram tram, which needs to be leveled up.  I figure that someone had some old stock and saw a good mark in a far away Canadian.  My other tram is a Modemo, but I don't remember the number right now.

My Japanese theme will include the Matsumoto Castle which I have recently built.

That is it for now, until I get some more stuff.

Gerry

which video are you referring to?

HI gordon.

I am referring to the video posted by Paul in "Tomytec Moving Buses", fitst item on page 2, video titled "Granddads tram 3."

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Thanx Jeff.  I knew there must be a simple way to do that.  Just one more thing I couldn't figure out on my own.

Gerry

gerry,

most welcome, no worries there are a million little hidden features, icons and buttons to deal with these days! handy one once you find it!

cheers

jeff

I think that you fellows are mean, cruel, mongrels, out after my sanity.  And yes I blame all of you.

When I first got interested in Japanese N Scale, it was simple.  T-Track did not offer much of a challenge except that I got to know Kato Unitrack.  There are no Japanese Models here in Canada.  Then I got to wondering what more could be done with Unitrack, and found a supplier in the US who even had some of the Unitram stuff and I said, "Well, why not."

This was fine until I found a Japanese Forum which told me about lots of other Unitram stuff, and even the internet addresses for where I could buy all this stuff, and not pay in US dollars.  So I did.  I had enough Unitram for a layout of 2 feet by over 6 feet.  I was even converted to using metric measure instead of feet.

Then, as I wandered more through this forum, I saw many neat layouts with all kinds of Japanese models.  Trains, buildings, fancy Double Track Viaducts with long sleek Shinkansens going very fast on them.  Yes, it was all there.  All I had to do was build a small layout to accommodate these things.

SMALL.shmall.  It took almost 2 years for me to design the layout that pleased me.  My wife said, go ahead Gerry and use the second bedroom.  So my design pretty well filled it.  The layout is 8 feet X 11 feet.  I have Just about all the viaduct and track and stations to build this.  All the module tops are partly finished, even some viaduct mounted.

Then along comes a problem.  Someone on the site displays a video of a fantastic bus and tram layout.  Now, I had toyed with the idea of using trams and buses on my layout, but just couldn't seem to get them to fit properly.  Now a brilliant idea forms in my head.  Why not do a separate small layout just for busses and trams?  So next thing I know that's all I can think about.

So now I have this idea to scrap the big layout, sell off my Unitrack, and do only a bus and tram layout.  Now, this is a sickness.  I am right back where I started with Unitram, but on this one it will be all Tomytec.

Please pray for me, Guys, 'cause I'm not sure where this will end.  Even my wife agrees that this is the way to go.  Wow.

I'm 74 years old and I sometimes think I am still a little boy.

I have to stop with this one, and make it my last.  I'm really not blaming anyone but myself

OK.  Enough crying into my Iced Tea. So here goes.  Busses and trams with lots of Japanese buildings and a castle, and maybe down the back length of the layout a short train track. 

Gerry   

• Like 1

Don't worry Gerry, there are a lot of little boys on here who really can't decide what they want to do. They have their mind set on one plan and SQUIRREL!!! Something else comes along. Don't get rid of all of your unitrack until you're happy with the buses and  trams. You might see something else that grabs your attention in the meantime.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 1

Not wanting to burst you bubble Gerry.  But that woeful tale is the same for every model train modeler.  Myself included.

Edited by katoftw

Todd has it spot on! SQUIRREL! me its Bright Shiny Objects!

No worries, just try to get enough done on the layout to have running trains here and that will keep you from getting stalled on it while the other things grab your attention. 

At least you are having fun, enjoying a hobby and doing something rather than the TV in the spare time!

the borg said it best, "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!"

cheers

jeff

Thanx Jeff.

I've been wondering if I do a build thread for this tram layout, should it be done here or in the projects file?

Gerry

About a month ago I received a Tomytec Moving Bus Set A.  Over the weekend I got some batteries, put the Road together and the bus stop.  Managed to finally get the magnets in the right places, got the tires properly in place so that they are straight and turned it on and presto- it worked.

However, the bus runs very slowly.  The lights in the bus work where they are supposed to.  The red light comes on when the bus is stopped, and the yellow light comes on when the bus is to slow down, just before it stops, and again when it is supposed to pick up speed.  But the increase in speed is just barely noticeable. 

While watching Paul's video of his bus and tram layout I could very plainly see the increase in speed, and the overall speed is vey much faster than mine.

Question:  Is there any adjustment on the motor unit for speed that I am missing?

Gerry

gerry,

i think there is a magnet that changes the speed from the slow to the fast speed that is put down and upstream of your stop magnet. im sure the bus guys can give you the details and will chime in!

jeff

Thanx katoftw.  When the bus sensor magnets are in the right place it does make a difference.

It's too bad that they could not include those instructions  - in English - with the set.

Gerry

I know that this has been a long time coming, but I finally have a drawing which I need opinions on.

Now all I have to do is try to remember how to do pictures.

This is no longer a module, it is 9 feet long by 4 feet wide. 

post-2768-0-38319500-1459556137_thumb.jpg

OK.

"No comment",  so I guess it's perfect. 

I guess that's the end.

Gerry  

Gerry,

Sorry I missed that you asked for comments. It's kind of hard to tell what track is what. Is there just one double viaduct for Shinkansen and then other tracks are locals and run under the station? Maybe color code the track to help distinguish lines. It is a lot of track for 4'x9'. Have you tried to lay this out with any track software? Looks like a few things won't fit as drawn like those yards.

Not sure if that elaborate of a bus system can go in a 18"x4' space. How were you going to do that bus layout, with had laid wire or the plates? Also the bus system is in the center of all this and it's the thing you will need to fiddle with a lot and reaching in up to 2' over viaduct stations on each side and plus buildings there in the diotown will be tough. I assume you have this in the center of the room so you can get access from all sides?

I have a 4x8 table I use to set up a double viaduct loop on to play with with one Shinkansen station in it and that takes up a lot of the space right there.

Have you scrapped the old layout? I would first play with adding some of the bus system to it where you can and maybe a point to point tram before scrapping it. The around the room layout gave you so much more scenery space and track length, I fear doing the center of the room style layout will require removing a bit more fro what you have in the plan above to fit it in.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

I have access on all 4 sides.  The room is 9' x 15'.

I believe that the acceptable track center distance for Kato is 33 mm or 1.5 inches as is most other track systems except T-Track originally.  But, just for good measure, I have changed the yard to 2" centers.

I do not use Track Software as my CAD is CadRail and the metric objects for KATO, that they use, are ridiculous.  So everything is done in inch equivalents.

The Bus system is as described by Tomytec, and uses their BRT-A layout and their X-001 layout.  2 of each.  These are oriented to have access to my Matsumoto Castle as well as to the city center. 

The tram track will be a combination of Unitrack, and Wide Track Tram Track with appropriate turnouts where needed.   

post-2768-0-27339800-1460334980_thumb.jpg