An idea for displaying trains

Evening chaps,

some of you might already know what I would like to point you to, but anyway - if you should not like normal showcases for some reason or be unable to put any in your rooms due to other furniture or whatever other reasons there might be, you might consider acrylic display tubes from Train Safe. I have no relation to the company other than being very satisfied with their products which I have been using for my H0 stock for some years. These tubes come in a variety of lengths and gauges (including N) and are very well suited for putting our endlessly long Japanese units on display :grin . Besides the basic variant which has grooves in the bottom as a substitute for rails there are variants with actual metal rails, so you can actually turn headlights and interior lighting on if you connect the tubes to a suitable power supply. Far as I know Train Safe ship their stuff directly all over the world, but also have sales partners in several countries outside Germany.

I am, in fact, planning on getting a couple of N gauge tubes from them to store my fleet of Japanese trains.

Hope this might be of interest to some of you! :cheesy

alpineaustralia

Briliant idea but a little pricey. If these were 50% of the price I would be buying these for most of my trains. 

That's really neat. Sadly I'd hate to think how to get a train out if it derails inside the case. I like the idea of being physically able to display my trains like that rather than letting them sit in my bookshelf.

That's really neat. Sadly I'd hate to think how to get a train out if it derails inside the case. I like the idea of being physically able to display my trains like that rather than letting them sit in my bookshelf.

It's not very likely that a train will derail inside the case as they are not sufficiently wide for models to tip over. Of course, bogies may "derail" - I had this happen a few times, but often rattling the case a bit will let the derailed model slide back on track.

I actually have one of the 1m trainsafe transportation tubes that was given to me.

http://train-safe.de/index_en.php?section=17

have not really played with it. very expensive system!

i have been knoodling a long time on a home display system consisting of just strips of wood (like 1.5" w x 0.25 thick x 4' long) with track attached to them. then have a slot on the layout yard where these strips can just drop on to roll into the yard. then just have rack on the wall that these strips can sit on (ie just little pegs that stick out for the strips to rest on that are attached to some sort of back plate).

i am thinking then a simple plex cover like 2" deep could just slip over the whole thing to keep the dust off the train shelves.

have to be very careful pulling them on and off the shelves and also will probably need to make some sort of little clamp i can screw across the rails at each end of the train so it wont shoot off if tipped a bit too much! of course this will be limited to like 7-8 cars, dont think i would want to try to pick up a 8.5' long 16 car train!

i have looked into plex and clear plastic acetate tubes for a long time for the train safe type system, but i have never found an economical alternative. also i would rather have a nice cabinet of trains rather than tubes with individual trains on the wall, think the cabinet is a better display option.

cheers

jeff