Tool Recommendations

serotta1972

Hello,

I'm sure if I go through the threads in the Tool Shed I will find my answer but sorry for being lazy.

Can someone recommend a good set of tweezers for installing those microscopic detail parts and a pair of nice spruce cutters.  I like fine and well made tools and willing to pay for quality.  My regular tweezers for pulling nose hairs and trimming my eyebrows isn't quite doing the job well enough.  :)

Thank you for your time.

Junior

Junior,

I've picked up a smattering of them on ebay cheap. Some are not so great but you can find some nice fine ones like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Stainless-Steel-Tweezers-Fine-Tip-Straight-Forceps-Tool-HL-14-5-/170900352222?hash=item27ca746cde:m:m2Z3cvDLHN-XeXkdPkyTZsg

A good fine pair are usually what you want for putting on small parts.

Also widget supply has a good selection cheap along with many other useful small tools.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/category/tweezer-sharp.html

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks 1954G and Jeff.  I'm on my way to becoming a modeler yet.  I need to spruce up my trains with their extra details for my running sessions and photo shoots.  :)

If you want a really nice set of tweezers to hand down to your grand-kids, you might try any of the Hozan range.

I use the P-840 Anti-acid Anti-Magnetic series for SMD work - and they also work great for modelling.

Or maybe the P-894 for something a bit heavier duty.

Hozan also make a really nice set of flush cutters - the N-34.

post-2339-0-08324200-1455028054_thumb.jpg

I’m a total Hozan convert - always browsing their catalog when I feed the need to buy some new tools!

• Like 3

MRP,

thanks for the links of Hozan tools.. surprisingly they also have supplier here. Will try to contact them and see if they have good offer.. Thanks..

Seeing their location in the electronic center in town, I guess price would be good...

Edited by Robert46

Mr. MRP, are those your surgical tools prep and ready to do some detailing and or other delicate procedures. Yes, exactly what I'm after. Thank you for the link!

Mr. MRP, are those your surgical tools prep and ready to do some detailing and or other delicate procedures.

Hmmm.  Now that you come to mention it, I can see that it might be considered by some as a little excessive for model railroading…  :)

post-2339-0-60472500-1455246294_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

Ooooh nice dissection scope! Man you are good at keeping a neat workbench!

Mine is a very old one!

The nice surgical tweezers are wonderful, I have many pairs for grad school. Great for hobby stiff but not cheap. Also the ultra fine points you need to take great care with the tips as they can get ruined very easily. For the regular stuff I've found many of the inexpensive ones on ebay or places like widget are great and only $1-2. Some are junk , but if they are no big loss.

Cheers

Jeff

We use the same oscilloscope type in my workplace and i also have the exact same pickit programmer on my desk. No optical microscope though, just a movable arm mounted magnifier... :)

Hmmm.  Now that you come to mention it, I can see that it might be considered by some as a little excessive for model railroading…  :)

Wow.. I am speechless to see the workbench. :) it's more like a scientist research room... cool!

Wow.. I am speechless to see the workbench. :) it's more like a scientist research room... cool!

Ha ha.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the bare minimum amount of equipment if you want to work with surface-mount electronic parts.
And since SMD has pretty much replaced through-hole components, you don't have much choice if you want to experiment with any of the newer MCUs, drivers or sensors.
Actually, I think it's going to be a big hurdle in future for kids getting into electronics as a hobby.

Actually, I think it's going to be a big hurdle in future for kids getting into electronics as a hobby.

The trend is to mount these components on breakout boards and package them in plug and play kits. One good example is the arduino, where you have the oldest dip and the newest smd chips on mostly standard boards with easy to connect sockets around the edges. They are also tested and running out of the box, with easy to use development kits and cost very little.

For the future, i really hope that more than 4 axis robots (cnc/3d printer matchines) will get cheaper as they can also be used for assembling electronics with a parts placement head and by using heat gun reflow soldering.

Got my Excel tweezers and Xuron spruce cutter, straight needle nose and bent nose pliers.  I know it's a bit overkill to install detail parts but I really like precision tools.  I aspire to become a modeler and not just a train buyer. :)

I really liked the Hozan stuff too but decided to stay domestic.

Getting ready to do some detailing work - where do I begin?  

post-2776-0-68861700-1456551129_thumb.jpg

Serotta,

No these will last you a very long time and are quality tools!

One thing if you want practice look for an inexpensive 1/144 scale model to practice gluing little bits if you feel nervous diving straight in. Mainly it's just applying very small amounts of glue. If there is a hole all the way thru for the stem of the detail part then you can fit it without glue and the put a dab of glue on the inside hole. This way you won't get extra glue around the insertion point.

Jeff

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Look up Sprue Cutter at micromark.com  it will locate the tweezers and cutterGood tools to have.

Dentist style, LED magnifying lamp will help a lot.

White paper to work on so the little pieces don't get lost.

A white or black cloth on the work surface is great to use when working with tiny parts, one like a softer felt. It prevents parts from bouncing and rolling (they tend to get caught in the fuzz) if dropped.

It's an old watchmakers trick. They actually use an apron that attaches to the workbench so if you are holding something in front of you and it flys it's caught on the apron fabric and not on the floor or your lap. Just have to remeber to take it off before getting up!

Jeff