Hobby Search

bill937ca

2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

It's down right now.  Almost 5am in Tokyo. Perhaps later tonight.

Working now.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/infodetails

"2018/06/12A failure of the network equipment occurred, and the service was unusable. We have greatly inconvenienced our guests."

Edited by bill937ca
6 hours ago, Pashina12 said:

Every time a sale starts my ability to control myself and only buy stuff I need for my Aizu project is tested.

This is compounded by the fact that the more I learn about Japanese railways, the more I find is interesting...

But no. Only 1960s Aizu stuff, and eventually a JNR EF66, because I love those.

And maybe a 485系... and maybe something Enoden. And, well... Taisho and early Showa JGR is really nifty too... and Hokkaido... and....

Resistance is futile, you know what they say!  🙂

8 hours ago, chadbag said:

Anyone else having a problem connecting to Hobby Search today?   Keeps saying "cannot make a secure connection to 1999.co.jp..."  (or very similar message)

Yeam me too.. it's up again though ~ 

• Like 1

From time to time I buy something at HS that I like but don't need urgently in any way. Is it possible to have these purchases just lay around accumulating at HS and then have them all sent together when enough of them have accumulated?

1 minute ago, gavino200 said:

From time to time I buy something at HS that I like but don't need urgently in any way. Is it possible to have these purchases just lay around accumulating at HS and then have them all sent together when enough of them have accumulated?

I believe you can have them do monthly shipments, although it seems to be at the end of each calendar month.  I usually do that for preorders so I can see if I want to combine them with any other orders when they come in.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately for instock items once you place an order you can only recombine with a reserve item coming up soon and you have to catch it and recombine before the instock order goes to shipping stage. It’s all a bit convoluted in their faq. I’ve only recombined a couple of preorders that I see coming up about the same time. Others have had a few situations with their customer support on some recombinations they have attempted. The monthly shipment only looks to be automatic potentially for reserved items and I guess you could try getting an instock order ready to go with a monthly preorder if you have one there.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/faq/104#cmbrsafri

hobby link japan is the place that has the really slick virtual warehouse where you can orde items and just plop them there for up to 60days and then send stuff as you want in what ever combo shipping you want. 

Cheers

jeff

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Unfortunately for instock items once you place an order you can only recombine with a reserve item coming up soon and you have to catch it and recombine before the instock order goes to shipping stage. It’s all a bit convoluted in their faq. I’ve only recombined a couple of preorders that I see coming up about the same time. Others have had a few situations with their customer support on some recombinations they have attempted. The monthly shipment only looks to be automatic potentially for reserved items and I guess you could try getting an instock order ready to go with a monthly preorder if you have one there.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/faq/104#cmbrsafri

hobby link japan is the place that has the really slick virtual warehouse where you can orde items and just plop them there for up to 60days and then send stuff as you want in what ever combo shipping you want. 

Cheers

jeff

Thanks. It's not a big deal. I just figured I'd check. I actually like getting my random tiny parcels, even though technically it's a bit wasteful. 

Sometimes it can work out cheaper.  If you are getting close to 2kg, it sometimes works out cheaper with shipping to have a multiple 600-800g SAL parcels.

• Like 1

Actually the current sal small packet gets slightly cheaper per gram as you approach 2kg. Just don’t want to go over 2kg or you get full sal or ems...

the old sal had an odd curve in them, but now just a slight downward curve.

jeff

As of the 3rd of August, HS will only offer 1% for their loyalty points, not the current 3%.  If you place any orders before the 3rd of August, you'll still receive the 3%.

Das Steinkopf

I placed my very first order with them today ironically it was for my wife, she really likes Gudetama and asked me to buy the Tomytec Seibu 30000 Series in Gudetama wrapping for her, she only wanted the 3 car basic set and TM-08R as she said that it was too expensive to get the 5 car add on as well, my son and I explained to her that she can't just get the 3 car set as it just wouldn't look right. I ordered the 5 car add on set which I will give to her as a present, it is great that my wife has finally seen a train that she would like to own the only problem is that I have tried to avoid Tokyo suburban trains like the plague and I fear this one will drag me down a rather expensive rabbit hole predominantly populated by Greenmax models. I do quite like the canary yellow livery of the Seibu trains and had many fond memories from our first trip to Tokyo watching them speeding along the Seibu's Shinjuku Line as I was waiting for a train at Shin Okubu station on the Yamanote Line.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/758/0/1

Sale just started... nothing much to shout about though...

There were a few interesting things, but nothing to tempt a sin against the moratorium.

I am a sucker for JR 103 types and there were a few various things related to that and a few locomotives that on sale are slightly cheaper.

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I find this and this  wildly unbelievable, especially more so when the news of MA releasing the newer model oh so recently... 

Actually this is not the first time this year that the MSE restocked. They did so as well a few months ago.

Since when did Tomytec release their Nankai 2000 series sets into the wild anyway? I thought they were only sold at the Nankai shop at Namba station...

Questions about returns/exchanges.

I made an ordering error and ordered a Tomix 92463 basic set when I meant to order a Tomix 92464 add-on set. I emailed HS about whether I can return/exchange, but It will probably take a few days to hear back. 

I've never tried to return anything to Japan and don't know the custom regarding this. Is it possible? Would it be better to just sell the thing on Ebay and buy the other set. What would the market be like for a JR E233 Subway five car basic set on ebay? Would it even sell?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10205573

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10205574

I had to do it once because of a HS shipping error.  Shipping to Japan is 3-4 times shipping from Japan. i think subsidizes shipping to support exports.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

I had to do it once because of a HS shipping error.  Shipping to Japan is 3-4 times shipping from Japan. i think subsidizes shipping to support exports.

Ah, good to know. Probably better to sell it on ebay then. 

• Like 1

From the US, the shipping to Japan is probably not 3-4x the cost of shipping form Japan (unless shipped as Small Packet SAL, but it won't be 3-4x more).  Depending on how much it weighs there is First Class Mail Parcel International, and Priority Mail International (including a flat rate option).   I don't remember off hand but I think the limit for First Class Mail Parcel is 13 oz.  So it depends on what the weight is.   You can figure out shipping costs on USPS.com pretty easily.

It still may be cheaper to list it here or on eBay or on Facebook or somewhere.  You need to package it up and see the weight and figure out the cost versus what you could realistically expect to sell it for (and the chance of selling it).

• Like 1