Hobby Search

bill937ca

I never saw an announcement when they started taking PP again lol.

Your memory is short.  HS ended the sale of adult goods in November. You said your wallet "is screaming."   :laughing6:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1363.0.html

Maybe they hit another snag.

Yes I remember saying that, but I still didnt see anything saying they took PP on their website. Personally I don't think they ever resumed taking PP.

Rainbow ten and hw seem to do fine with sal. for me over 100 sal shipments and never a problem! ems is the only one i had a problem with ironically, but that was the usps not holding the ems package while i had a vacation hold (obscure postal reg they dont publish)

cheers

jeff

it's about damn time.

Was being sarcastic. HS has all sorts of issues with the PP, and I suspect that SAL may cause them some trouble as well.

Unfortunately the change has also removed the shipping estimate from the first order screen. You have to enter credit card information to proceed beyond that screen, so I won't know until my next order if you even get a shipping total prior to completing the order. Given the way shipping can sharply increase with some items on HobbySearch (try adding an empty train case to a small EMS order) this may actually put me off from ordering from them if I have no way of knowing how much I'll be charged until they've already taken my money.

And that's it. Starting today HS offers SAL shipping. The eligible articles now show a SAL icon on the name header.

But have you read all the rules?  Whew! I noticed the dimensions of SAL eligible items have been added to each product's page.

http://www.1999.co.jp/faq_e.asp?Typ1_c=101#s2

There is an interesting EMS/SAL chart.

http://www.1999.co.jp/ems.asp

Hmm, I bought 2 Kato 2010 catalogs, an old Kato news and a Kato track plan book from HS. I checked the SAL box instead of EMS, but when I tried to end the confirmation process, the software changed the shipping method to EMS. I thought that I missed the checkbox so I rewrite the datas, but it happened again. It would be better if something warn me that 'hey man, your package will be more than 2 kgs', but no similar screen appeared.

And I was shocked when I saw that I paid 5400 JPY shipping cost while the products was 3800 JPY. Pfffff.

It was a hard lesson to me.

Hmm, I bought 2 Kato 2010 catalogs, an old Kato news and a Kato track plan book from HS. I checked the SAL box instead of EMS, but when I tried to end the confirmation process, the software changed the shipping method to EMS. I thought that I missed the checkbox so I rewrite the datas, but it happened again. It would be better if something warn me that 'hey man, your package will be more than 2 kgs', but no similar screen appeared.

And I was shocked when I saw that I paid 5400 JPY shipping cost while the products was 3800 JPY. Pfffff.

It was a hard lesson to me.

All Japanese train catalogs are extremely heavy with heavy coated stock. I'm sure two catalogs would easily go well over the limit alone.

All Japanese train catalogs are extremely heavy with heavy coated stock. I'm sure two catalogs would easily go well over the limit alone.

That's why I didn't get any when I was in Japan... There I said it.

I have a 2008 Kato catalogue, but I did not measure it, I thought it is not so heavy. But it is.

Just a small idea to HS: it will be very useful if the weight of the products would be in the item description.

All in all:

I was the idiot, I paid the price. Next time, I will be smarter.

Next time look at Hobby World before ordering such items with HS. They gave you the weight of each item and how much you would pay for EMS or SAL shipping.

Next time look at Hobby Word before ordering such items with HS. They gave you the weight of each item and how much you would pay for EMS or SAL shipping.

Hobbyworld is currently my choice Japanese online retailer.

Next time look at Hobby World before ordering such items with HS. They gave you the weight of each item and how much you would pay for EMS or SAL shipping.

Don't care all that much for their website navigation.

Don't care all that much for their website navigation.

yes, you have to get into hunter/gatherer mode to shop there! its kind of like finding stuff at home despot. stuff is sort of organized in sometimes good order, other times by a schizophrenic. sometimes the advanced search function is really great, other times it tails you... i now find it a fun thing to do when i have a spare 10 minutes and want a break. granted its not the nicely organized HS site! Also they tend to have their pre-orders up for a very short period, but usually give a good discount on them!

cheers

jeff

Yeah, I agree. It's not the more ergonomic website on earth but once you looked around for some time you get used to it. And I must admit, I love going there and just browse. Anyway, I have now a very good system to find what I want. I just use the search engine. For the time being they are, like for Leo, my choice Japanese online retailer.

Plaza Japan also sells Kato catalogs and quotes shipping rates.

Yes but they also will backorder stuff for you. I tend to break my orders into instock and backorder ones. sometimes it may take a month to get the full backorder there and shipped (sometimes they will say its taking too long to get something do i want to drop it or ship the other stuff first, nice), but its nice to get ahold of things that are still around, but they just are not stocking. cant be in a rush with hwj! hs is the zippier service.

cheers

jeff

Plaza Japan also sells Kato catalogs and quotes shipping rates.

Currently Plaza Japan has no 2010 Kato catalog. I did not find it in the shop, then I asked in an e-mail and the answer was negative.

Thanks for the advices, next time I will take more effort on finding items.