Hobby Search

bill937ca

If you have friends or family in the area it might be worth it to have the address changed to that location while the uncertainty is going on.  Usually while I am away for work (usually around 2 months at a time) I have my packages sent to my parents home.  

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I've actually found Hobby Search to be very helpful, considering their size. They've managed to get me several replacement parts of World Kougei kits that they normally don't have listed, and that are normally only available when asking World Kougei for them directly. I'd say it's definitely worth asking at least.

• Like 1

It takes five seconds to change your address on their system.  I've moved 3 times in the past 7 years, and had no issues with HS orders.  Just change you address when the timing is right.  You know most orders are processed at the start of the month.  And if using SAL, you know how long it will take to get to you.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2019 at 9:20 PM, Das Steinkopf said:

I have ended up cancelling 3 preorders with Hobby Search due to them having to implement the GHT, I had to go back to the devil I know and place orders to replace a number of the items I had to cancel but I am unable to replace all of them, I will still use Hobby Search to some extent due to their greater product variety but that said it's sad for them to now lose the financial advantage that they had as an incentive to shop there.

I am doing the same.  AmiAmi now for us is 7-12% cheaper than HobbySearch.

I always like AmiAmi's order system the best of all our common retailers.  Easy to add back-orders or sale items to pre-orders with a click of a button.  AmiAmi's forced EMS at such a low yen amount has always sucked.

I have already resigned myself to the fact that 2019 has meant a 10% increase in the cost of the hobby.

Thanks guys. I sent off an email to HS. If they can hold the orders that would be best. That way I don't have to hassle a friend. I actually have no idea how long it takes for SAL or any other postage method to arrive. I never check tracking or calculate shipping time. I like being surprised by the train packet on the doorstep.

• Like 1

Hobby Search has listed a very large number of Kobaru items for pre-order.  Today's Hobby Search newsletter notes that Kobaru will cease operations at the end of June and currently is clearing out stock.

Kobaru Meister Series (Diorama Material and Accessory) are open for reservation now. (Get the manufacturer's stock. If the manufacturer's inventory is exhausted, we will cancel it. Kobaru will end its business in June 2019.)

Hobby Search NEWS  Model Train N  2019/05/31

Edited by bill937ca

This is very sad news. Kobaru had picked up after the prohobby series ended with all those interesting bits and figures that are just have for Japanese layout details to make the scene real. Always quality items. Their porta potties are excellent!

last order in we will see what I get.

jeff

• Like 1

Very sad news... it seems railway hobby is looking at the sunset? I seriously hope not... Kobaru has one of the most extensive range of products, and like they say, devils in the details! 

I would not read a sunset for the hobby into this. Small businesses like kobaru go out of business for many reasons. Usually they are run by a single person and maybe some employee help. Health, retirement, changes in life/family, or financial issues for the owner can force it to close as businesses like can be really hard to transfer or sell. Banks also don’t make cheap loans to odd little businesses not to the owners or folks wanting to purchase them and needing working capital. Banks like the more traditional businesses that they have numbers on and understand the variables better. Even things like loosing a main manufacturer can be a killer as it takes a lot of investment in a manufacturer to get things going smoothly, efficiently and economically.

also kobaru’s items only really sold to the more detail oriented Modelers so smaller niche market that is good and bad. They also had a pretty wide product range as well and that is not cheap and easy to do.

jeff

2019/07/01Although Japan Post’s mail service of SAL to following countries were suspended since December 18th.2017,
we are glad to inform that SAL shipment service will finally resume as of July 1st, 2019 (Japan time GMT+9).

- France
- Netherlands
- Spain
- Ukraine (excluding Crimea and Sevastopol)
- Algeria

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/infodetails

• Like 2

Just learnt an expensive lesson with preorders, I ordered a 115-2000 and thought i’d grab some smaller items that were being released in the same month as they would not cost any more in postage. Unfortunately the 115 got delayed and so a few low price items are now being shipped for the month with postage costing more than the items. Need to consider a better plan next time. I do like HLJ’s virtual warehouse but they seem to have limited items available.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EdF said:

If you know before hand you can ask they hold them.

Thank you for the advice, I will try next time as I still have a bit on pre order.

But that happens with any vendor.  Dunno how many times I've planned adding items to my pre-orders only to find the order moved back one month.  Hence splitting the order.

I find HS has been the least accommodating with requests.  MTP and AA were always very good.

• Like 1
Welshbloke

MTP were excellent last year when I asked if they could add a Casco case to a pre-order and dispatch it all in one go, they just put the case aside and sent one big parcel.

HS don't seem to offer the option which is a bit unhelpful. All I want is to be able to say "I'd like to preorder a Kato Kokuden set, and can you chuck a couple of packs of detailing parts in with it when you post it?" As it is, I'm not bothering to pre-order as I'll wait and order the lot in one go.

• Like 1

I've had some good luck with HS holding some stuff that got split and waiting for the pieces to all come in.  However, they won't hold it forever and I try and not ask on a regular basis.

• Like 1

From today's Hobby Search newsletter.

From editor
Due to our building maintenance, Hobby Search will not be operating during 10th to 20th August (Japan time, GMT+9), and will not be able to ship orders or check emails during this period.  There will also be delays in shipments for orders around this period.
We apologize for any inconveniences, and your patience will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/infodetails

As far as I’m concerned, HS is in limbo right now. (See my DD51 thread in the train doctor forum.) I won’t be giving them any money until I find out what they intend to do.