Calgary C Train

tossedman

Calgary, Alberta is ordering 63 new LRT cars for its "C Train" from Siemens. Here's a video about how they make the new S200 cars. They'll even have heated floors to keep your toes warm on those -30° C winter days.

The design book is interesting to look at as well.

Now someone needs to make this in N Scale!

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 3

I'm quite sure miyakoji meant what does the riding public think of the previous procurements from Siemens - not just the new cars specifically.

The base type was designed by duewag as a high floor tram. These sets tend to work reliably and since it's a bogie design, the ride quality is much better than on modern 2 axle low floor trams. The led door indicators are nice and i'm sure people will like the tv screen pa system (the first which i saw in Graz, austria more than a decade ago on a duewag tram) The glass back cab was popular in europe in the last 50 years, so i think kids and railfans will love it (if the operator doesn't cover it foil or ads).

I'm quite sure miyakoji meant what does the riding public think of the previous procurements from Siemens - not just the new cars specifically.

You're quite right sir. Surveys have shown that 75% of the population is satisfied with Calgary Transit's service. I couldn't find any data as to Siemens providing the cars. People complained about congestion and crowding the most. Calgary transit has just begun running 4 car trains after running three car trains for the past 34 years. The new S200 cars will allow for up to 800 passengers per train which should help with crowding somewhat. They're also looking at expanding new lines to different parts of the city. Just need a few billion dollars to do so.

Yeah I was just wondering about overall acceptance of the network in Calgary.  75% sounds very good, I don't know what it is throughout the US.

Probably not very high in Houston :grin

Edited by miyakoji
Mudkip Orange

That video (one of my favorites) is from the first year the rail opened, in 2004. Houstonians had been driving that route for 45 years with uncontrolled left turns, so there was a bit of a learning curve.

The newer lines are designed better (i.e. the left turn lane isn't ON TOP of the tracks) and people are more used to trains now, so there haven't been as many problems.

• Like 2

Yes i could see it being a hard transition! every time i drive in a city around trams its always challenging as each city seems to try different approaches as to signage and the whole lane design and what you can and cant do when and where!

how well are the trams being used and accepted in houston mudkip?

jeff