Grade crossing barriers

emkay_777

Hi Guys,

In looking through many photos on the web, I've noticed that there are different kinds of grade crossing signal/barriers in Japan.  Can anyone explain why?  Also, what modeling company makes an acceptable rendition of a grade barrier?  Thanks,

Evan

In looking through many photos on the web, I've noticed that there are different kinds of grade crossing signal/barriers in Japan.  Can anyone explain why? 

Many many grade crossings of a wide variety of arrangements and types operated by a wide variety of companies, resulting in all kinds of variations.

As far as manufacturers go, the Tomytec one is the most common (due to being cheap), though it's a bit crude and clunky; here's the one I'm using on my layout:

gallery_1206_165_204797.jpg

Greenmax also do one, IIRC TGW, and probably a couple of other companies. Not something I've looked into in great detail yet.

I have the TGW coming in my next Hobbysearch box, I'll let you know what they look like. They look smaller than the Tomytec one and seem to have a bit more detail to them and more suited for a smaller crossing. 

Thanks for the input guys.  I've searched for all you mentioned, but the only Tomytec ones I can find seem to be the automatic crossings.  The TGW doesn't have the gates.  Can you tell me the part numbers so I can refine my search?  Thanks,

Evan

I only use the Green Max pre-painted crossing gates. The Tomytec ones are too clunky looking as Railsquid said, and the Tsugawa ones are painted so poorly that there's no way I'd waste my money on them.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I only use the Green Max pre-painted crossing gates. The Tomytec ones are too clunky looking as Railsquid said, and the Tsugawa ones are painted so poorly that there's no way I'd waste my money on them.

I have 4 packs of the TGW ones and I think they are alright, I compared them physically to the other brands when I was in Popondetta and found detail wise they were one of the better ones especially if using them for protecting small lanes that cross the lines, the colour is a bit on the darker side but when you factor in natural weathering they look okay.

So as for the TGW gates...they're a little on the small side compared to the Tomytec ones. The gate only covers one small lane of traffic instead of 2 lanes like the Tomytec one making them suitable for small crossings. I do think the coloring is slightly better and they don't look quite a chunky as the Tomytec ones (probably due to the fact they're 3 separate pieces instead of one chunk like the Tomyec one) so they have a better appearance and are more adaptable for smaller spaces or corners. The orange color though is a bit off to me.