Nankai Hamaderakōen Station building to be "retired," preserved

This was posted on the FB Japanese Trains group.  Nankai is elevating this section of the line, so a new station will be built.  This whole building will be moved from its present location and preserved, or rather it will just continue to be used and maintained, as a community center.

This is the right way to preserve history, as opposed to letting it deteriorate for a few decades and then saying "hey guys, we should really preserve x/y/z for blah" by which point it needs loads of money to restore to anything worth looking at.

The nearby Hankai station is Hamaderakoen Ekimae Eki.  "Ekimae eki" being the station in front of the station.  So if this moves between its current location and Hamaderakoen Ekimae Eki, does Hamaderakoen Ekimae Eki then have to become Hamaderakoen Ekimae Ekimae Eki?  Food for thought :grin

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201601280044

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamaderak%C5%8Den_Station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFpz2PBZL1A

• Like 4

I have always included this station as a stop on my Kansai roundabouts.  Other than the exteriors, it has wonderful passenger waiting rooms of the old style- wood benches, frosted glass, etc.  Also the track layout is unusual as it has an auxiliary loop track served by platform 4.  There is a nice cafe with lunch sets on the other (mountain) side of the station, too.  Anyway, I suppose the track layout won't change much if at all for the time being.  Once the station is elevated, it will just become another cookie cutter station with terrible sight lines.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

So if this moves between its current location and Hamaderakoen Ekimae Eki, does Hamaderakoen Ekimae Eki then have to become Hamaderakoen Ekimae Ekimae Eki?  Food for thought :grin

Nice thought, it seems that the tramstop name would be much longer than the expected  :grin  :grin

After reading the article of Hamaderakoen station on Japanese Wikipedia, it seems that this station (along with the neighboring Suwanomori station) faces difficult problem regarding the track elevating work, since the old station building (yes, I wrote this as "old station building", as the station building has been moved to a temporary structure that would exist until the completion of new elevated station) is registered as part of Japan's tangible cultural property. I hope that the old station building would be completely preserved in its well-maintained condition  :grin

Interesting station. It looks like from the aerial photos that the station had a small goods yard (1 or 2 tracks) next to track 5, which was on the other side of the side platform. Also that side platform seem to had two stub tracks with no turnouts near the building. It would be interesting to model a station like this even as a station on a single track line or double tracked only on one side, which this layout seem to suggest from the past. I hope they preserve at least parts of the platform roofing that surrounds the station building as this looks to be original too.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Additional note: this station originally has a crossover that allows trains to terminate at Hamaderakoen station and returns back to Namba, but it was later removed. As the result, services terminating at Hamaderakoen are no longer available on Nankai's timetable

Hamadera koen was surrounded by farmland fields many decades ago.  Not many houses or companies out there.  It was a terminus station that also serviced freight.

In Seasoning the Seasons - Japan's Historic Tramways, the 60-70yo sweets maker describes when he was a child going to Hamadera Koen on the tram and it was all fields back them.

Edited by katoftw
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Hamadera koen was surrounded by farmland fields many decades ago.  Not many houses or companies out there.  It was a terminus station that also serviced freight.

In Seasoning the Seasons - Japan's Historic Tramways, the 60-70yo sweets maker describes when he was a child going to Hamadera Koen on the tram and it was all fields back them.

Interesting fact... It seems that the station building's size really explains about the history of surrounding area in the past  :grin