Train epochs or eras

Dani

Hello,

I use to see in Europe a classification of the train models according to its era, more or less as follows:

I : -1925

II : 1925-1945

III : 1945-1970

IV : 1970-1990

V : 1990-2006

VI : 2006 -

But I've never seen this classification or epoch shown in a Japanese train case. Is this classification used (or do you use it?) for Japanese trains? Do you know if in japan use any similar classification? I was thinking may be trains are also classified in their normal eras (Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei, ......).

Thanks,

Dani

I don't believe they use such a classification in the Japanese model rail scene, although I could be wrong. I don't really see the point in using such classifications either, also in Europe. It serves little purpose, to me at least.

Also, this topic is so gonna become a topic where everyone proposes their own era classifications for Japanese model trains.

Actually there is at least one classification, that i often see:

-pre JGR

-JGR

-JNR

-post JNR (aka. JR companies)

This covers most of the japanese train network, but private companies have their own epochs, sometimes completly independent from everyone else. Because of this, the larger historical events and the history of the JGR/JNR/JRs are only a guide to determine the epochs for each company.

The JNR era could be divided into smaller parts, but there were no large breaks between them, just a gradual progress, very much like between ep.3 and ep.4 in Europe. Epoch 5 started around the fall of the Berlin wall and the large scale privatisation of most european national railways, the latter suggested by some rather clever capitalists. This was done around the same time in the UK, Japan and eastern Europe. The european system is not universal either, as for example the UK train network was privatised a few years earlier, so the epochs are mostly usable for Germany and its neighbouring countries.

I don't believe they use such a classification in the Japanese model rail scene, although I could be wrong.

I think Dani meant model in the prototype sense.

The models are usually labeled for the company and trainset type. This determines the time range they are usable. Further narrowing has to be done by checking the prototype. For some sets multiple letterings are available, like jnr and jr marks, so the set is usable for both. Wikipedia (english or japanese) usually has the prototype info. Usually there is some prototype info attached to each set, which is usually some paper inside or in case of some tomytec train collection sets on the back of the box with route maps and operating years.

Ps: the european system is only good for Germany and some neighbours and only for the main operators, so it's of very limited use but still being used for lack of proper info about the contents of the sets

Hello,

First of all thanks for all answers. I meant model classification in the prototype sense. But looking at the discussion, looks quite clear that there is no epoch classification system for Japanese models, or at least standard enough across all builders and railroad modelers.

I think an example will be easier to understand: here in Europe, when you meet a railroad modeler, the first question one does to the other is "what scale or gauge do you model and collect?". Here there are many HO modelers, may be as much as N gauge modelers.

And second question one normally makes to the other is "and what's your epoch?". People focus on epoch I and II, or just VI, or whatever. But answering the number/s of epoch we know the rolling stock a modeler has. Last question normally is (in Spain) do you collect only Renfe or European trains (DB, SNF, ...). Normally all trains classified in the same era or epoch mean there is a coincidence in time when they where in use. So if you go to a Railroad Club and put two trains of different epoch together, any purist modeler will really get irritated. XDDDD

In all catalogues of European brands the epoch of each model is clearly indicated in all catalogs and flyers. And also software systems have a property in the train tables to indicate which of the epochs is the train. You can see it for example in Rocrail, in the General tab inside Train Properties. Rocrail also has a functionality to start run all trains you have on your layout of a certain epoch, and keep the rest stopped in the hidden yard. In this way you will never see a shinkansen passing an old steam locomotive.

I didn't know if this so much known epoch classification used in Europe was general and also used in Japan or America, or is just an European convention of model classification.

Thanks,

Dani

Edited by Dani

I would like to add here the UK eras: (copied from Hattons Model Railways)

UK rail era 1. Pioneering (1804 - 1874)
UK rail era 2. Pre-grouping (1875 - 1922)
UK rail era 3. The Big Four - LMS, GWR, LNER & SR (1923 - 1947)
UK rail era 4. BR steam. Early Crest (1948 - 1956)
UK rail era 5. BR steam. Late Crest (1957 - 1966)
UK rail era 6. BR Corporate Blue. Pre -TOPS (1967 - 1971)
UK rail era 7. BR Corporate Blue. Post -TOPS (1972 - 1982)
UK rail era 9. Post-privatisation (1995 - 2011)

As you can see, it has little to do with the german epochs and the UK is an european country.

I would like to add here the UK eras: (copied from Hattons Model Railways)

the UK is an european country.

Of sorts - it is not part of continental Europe and has retained it's own currency, among other things.

A Japanese Era Classification should be:

I: 1872-1906

Opening of Japan's first railway between Shimbashi (Tokyo) and Yokohama

Foundation of Nippon Railway, first private railway company,

Opening of Horonai Railway, first railway in Hokkaidō, Opening of Iyo Railway, first railway in Shikoku, Opening of Kyūshū Railway, first railway in Kyūshū, Completion of the Tōkaidō Main Line, Promulgation of Railway Construction Act, Class 860 steam locomotive, first locomotive built in Japan, Opening of Japan's first streetcar, in Kyoto

II: 1906-1949

Acquisition of railway in Taiwan, Opening of Keijin Railway, first railway in Korea, Opening of first railway in Karafuto, Foundation of South Manchuria RailwayNationalization of 17 private railways, Light Railway Act, Opening of Tokyo Station, Introduction of automatic couplers to national network, Inauguration of the Yamanote Loop Line, Opening of Tokyo subway, the first subway in the East, Adoption of metric system.

III: 1949-1969s

Foundation of Japanese National Railways as public corporation, Completion of electrification of the Tōkaidō Main Line, Opening of Ueno Zoo Monorail, Japan's first monorail, Kodama, the first EMU express between Tokyo and OsakaHatsukari, the first DMU express between Ueno (Tokyo) and Aomori, Opening of the first Shinkansen line, between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka.

IV: 1969s-1987

Retirement of steam locomotives from all JNR services (switchers remained until 1976),  JNR Reconstruction Act; low-profit lines were to be abandoned, Opening of Portliner, Japan's first Automated guideway transit, Privatization of JNR, succeeded by the Japan Railways Group.

With Tokyu 8000s field chopper control is intorduced.

V: 1987-2010

The JNR have been privatized, so the JR's group companies start to operate, but with the older JNR stock. However newer trains are being phased in.

VI: 2010s-Today

last JNR EMUs are finally retired, we see the first effects of JR East policy of "Half the weight, Half the cost, Half the life span" .

• Like 2

Also my "Era classification" for japanese trains is based a lot on their design:

Example: JR/JNR EMUs for commuter/suburban services (Era I is omitted).

Era II (1906-1949)

KuMoHa 63 series

206-5WEB.jpg 

KuMoHa 72 series

p226.jpg

Highlights of these designs are:

- Full dark-brown liviery

-Single panel doors

-A single top-mounted headlight

-All trains use rheostatic electric controls

Era III (1949-1969)

We see the rise of the line-colour-matching-trains such as the series 101 but mainly the series 103.

ejr103-3500.jpg

Design Highlights:

-Minimalist front

-Single top mounted headlight with two lamps

-Two-Panel doors; this solution will replace the single-panel doors on all trains.

-Line-color-matching liviery

And the debut of the classical Japanese "Tokai Style" firstly used by the 163 series and then by 165 and 167 series for mainline express services and on the commuter and suburban trains such as the series 115 and 113 (in the picture).

113kei7-30.jpg

Design Highlights:

-Central door on the front

-The mayority of these trainset had the "Shonan" liviery of green and orange.

-Instead of the top, the headlights were placed underneath the windows.

Era IV

JNR creates a new group of trains with asymmetrical front, the first being the 201 series wich was also the first JNR train to use an electronic chopper control instead of a rheostatic one ( the first train in japan and in the entire world to do so was the Tokyu 8000).

The trains bulit whitin this period had asymmetrical cab windows, the 201 was full-body painted with top mounted headlights, reminescent of the earlier 103 series.

975e13ca3f1a55ec5f1ad535db669ce6.jpg

And one of the last JNR designs: the JR 205 series.

This was a radical departure from precedent designs: the headlights were moved under the cab windows, the train was left with it's unpainted alluminium alloy body except for some coloured panels matching the line color. They retained the asymmetrical cab windows of the 201 series.

yamanote.jpg

V (1987-2000):

We will focus on JR East from now on.

To replace older JNR trains such as the series 103, JR East created a new line of trains wich were distinguished by a particular thing:

Their triple-lamp headlight.

(E217 series)

JR_East_E217-2.JPG

(E251 series)

JR_East_251_Series_%22Super_View_Odoriko

(255 series)

jre255_4014m_07-06-06.jpg

• Like 1