Old wooden houses.

katoftw

Funny I was just looking at those very sheets on Hobby Search but they're long sold out.

Sold out at HS, but not at Nanyo Bussan itself. You can email Mr. Sato for direct orders.

Toni would you PM me Mr. Sato's email please. Does he understand English or will we need to communicate through Google translate?

Thanks,

Todd

10190747b.jpg

10007612p.jpg

I forgot I have a few of these random structure kits in a box awaiting to be used.  The roofing could be used and Kobaru walls, doors and windows could be substituted for older wooden style items?

That way window and door fittings can be painted separately, unlike the horror job Jeff tells us about for the Greenmax kits.

Well, not a horror really, just tedious if you want to have all your window frames painted up nicely in different colors! Really not too hard to just paint them with a brush, just more frustrated it was not as easy as like the dpm kits with separate window, doors and walls that made doing nice paint jobs a breeze! I was more frustrated as I just couldn't come up with some cleaver trick to mask and paint the integrated Windows on the gm easily! It's not too hard, just tedious! Being spoiled...

Trying to combine all those bits and cut window holes and paint those clear window mullions would be wayyyy more hard work. Cutting Windows and doors in stryene nice and perfectly square takes time, patience, practice and some redos! It's doable just be prepared for some work. Learning and trial and error.

Those clear Windows with the frames and mullions are really hard to paint nicely. I've done them on several kits like the walthers engine house and warehouses and they are really nasty. Some you can pad print if the frame and mullions are the same height, otherwise it's careful brushing or metallic marker work. Mistakes are hard to clean up on the clear.

Jeff

Thank you sir!

My pleasure!

Regarding the transparent windows (Kobaru in this case) and painting them, wouldn't it be an idea to mask the windows that should remain transparent with a liquid masking solution? I know Mr. Hobby makes a product named 'Mr. Masking Sol' for these kind of purposes. You can peel it off and/or even wash it off, as it's water soluble.

I've been thinking about this option a bit for many different purposes, including clear resin casting of 3D printed models that have very thin window sills which are integral parts of the structure (e.g. old-style coaches and so on).

Masking glazing like this sounds easier than it is! I played with both tamya masking tape and liquid mask on the himiko water bus windows and it's a lot of work! It also does not work perfectly. Carefully cutting the bits of masking separately and then placing is tough as is cleanly cutting mask put onto the glazing first. The liquid masking was touchy getting cut out cleanly. Btw the nice modeling liquid mask appears to be the same stuff you can get for a third the price that is used for painting fingernails! Yes another nail art bit for modeling!

Granted those were very oddly shaped windows and mullions. When doing the large rectangular warehouse windows I got pretty good at doing them as they were all straight bits.

Jeff

maihama eki

Here is my Sankei MP03-14 Soba Shop with a plastic dimensional tile roof.  I bought several tile sheets and ended up using one from Nanyo Busan because it was the thinnest and easiest to cut.

Notice the details in the back photo from Kabuto Models.

post-550-0-65527200-1458110236_thumb.jpg

post-550-0-84681900-1458110245_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Awesome! That's a great collaboration of various items from various makers together. It looks very authentic! Would it be okay to share this image with Mr. Satō from Nanyō Bussan?

• Like 1

Here is my Sankei MP03-14 Soba Shop with a plastic dimensional tile roof.  I bought several tile sheets and ended up using one from Nanyo Busan because it was the thinnest and easiest to cut.

attachicon.giffrontsmall.jpg

attachicon.gifbacksmall.jpg

Awesome, thank for sharing.

maihama eki

Awesome! That's a great collaboration of various items from various makers together. It looks very authentic! Would it be okay to share this image with Mr. Satō from Nanyō Bussan?

Yes, certainly.

Maihama,

Wow, that really pops! Kudos! Excellent use of plastic to supplement the sankei laser cut chipboard. I've been a very firm believer that this kind of combo would really have nice results getting the best out of both worlds and you really prove it with this!

I agree many of the tile and other texture sheets are a pin to cut. I've usually cut them with the mini table saw or scroll saw as they were not easily done by hand!

Where did you order the Nanyō Bussan from?

Cheers

Jeff

I was just reading this, what a coincidence: https://saninstory.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/izumo-soba-more-buckwheat-for-your-buck/

maihama eki

Maihama,

Wow, that really pops! Kudos! Excellent use of plastic to supplement the sankei laser cut chipboard. I've been a very firm believer that this kind of combo would really have nice results getting the best out of both worlds and you really prove it with this!

I agree many of the tile and other texture sheets are a pin to cut. I've usually cut them with the mini table saw or scroll saw as they were not easily done by hand!

Where did you order the Nanyō Bussan from?

Cheers

Jeff

I bought the Nanyo Bussan tile material from Hobby Search.  It seems to be sold out there now as mentioned before.  I will contact NB directly the next time I guess.

I love good soba.  One of my favorite Japanese foods.  It's so hard to find here in the U.S.  

After seeing this I had to go ahead and order some Nanyō Bussan roofing tiles from Mr. Sato. I've got a few Sankei kits that are just waiting for the 3D tile treatment. I think that's the only area the Sankei kits are lacking in.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 1

I'm currently talking with Mr. Sato to make it easier to obtain his building sheets (roof and wall plates) for customers abroad. These are much cheaper than any other commercial counterparts, so attractive to many of us modellers out there. Even with shipping costs.

I'm currently talking with Mr. Sato to make it easier to obtain his building sheets (roof and wall plates) for customers abroad. These are much cheaper than any other commercial counterparts, so attractive to many of us modellers out there. Even with shipping costs.

It'd be great if he had a secure payment method on his site. Thanks for the heads up Toni.

Thanks Toni,

I would love to get some and I'm sure a number of our club members as well. All seems oos at HS. Sure it's tough to get into the distribution chains!

Jeff