Pin Vice/Drill

katoftw

Just got one recently to drill the holes in the roofs of the Tomytec Railway Collection trains.

Although unsure about it.  It ended up being quite an easy job.  I've heard horror stories, but doing it just this once.  It is easy.

You just line up the drill bit to the hole on the Tomytec shell and push and turn.  Goes through like butter.  Before:-

post-1782-0-87397100-1453784815_thumb.jpg

Then drill out hole.  Cut away antennas from sprews.  Put a drop of glue in a container. And dip the required end into the glue.  Tweezers are a must unless you want shocking results.

post-1782-0-79354400-1453784823_thumb.jpg

The pin vice/drill cost 808 yen and the 1.0mm drill bit cost 275 yen.  They come in various different arrangments.  But this was the cheapest for me as I only needed the 1.0mm bit.

post-1782-0-20889100-1453784833_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-62716700-1453784840_thumb.jpg

I wish I brought one sooner.  Forget the horror stories.  Now onto the extended Otsu fleet.

Edited by katoftw

Gluing from the underside might be an alternative if someone (like me) is a bit clumsy. Just put the part into the hole, take a bit of glue with a toothpick and dab it on the underside of the roof where the bottom of the part pokes through.

Yep, I usually glue them from underneath.

A tiny blob of gel superglue on the underside of the hole after you've fitted the part will do the trick, just leave the roof off the model until the glue has hardened in case it fogs the glazing. I say gel for two reasons - you get a few seconds to make sure the part is straight, and it isn't as prone to climbing up the sides of the part and onto the roof.

I have found that the quoted drill sizes can often be a bit big or a bit small. The latter is easier to correct than the former!

Yes much better from the underside or if not accessible from the bottom, then I usually use a needle and put the glue in the hole down it there as far as I can w.o trying to get it up near the opening and that prevents much oozing out the joint or a missed or not perfect poke with the part going in!

Sewing needs are good for gluing like this as most glues just pop off them with a scrape of a hobby knife after drying. I get the 40 pack at the dollar store. For depositing more glue in small places flip the needle over and take an old pair hardened wire cutters and you can clip half the needle eye off (put a small cloth over it when clipping as the hardened needle can really shoot). Now you have a nice little Y on the end to get a small dab of AC glue on it. You can also use the full needle eye bit just not as dirctanle as making a Y end.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4