Worst and Best designs of Subway Trains.

Socimi

What do yu think are the Best and the Worst designs of subway trains around the world?

The worst for me are:

1) The MP-68 from Mexico city's subway.

Metro_Mexico_DF_MP68_R93_01.jpg

2) The M1 from Amsterdam's Metro.

Amsterdam_Metro_LHB_M2_003.JPG

3) Milan Metro's New "Leonardo" EMU.

382493_1.png

Made me homesick Mudkip, we lived about a mile from that photo!

I have to love Bart as I was a kid in Oakland when it was going in. Always felt futuristic, but of course I did not know about Japanese trains then!

Jeff

Berlin U-Bahn Baureihe "G" and variants? "Make it square and boxy".

I kinda like that one.  Utilitarian, but its compactness keeps it from appearing too clumsy or uncouth in design.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

One of the first, still very good and my favourite: The Budapest underground electric railway's first cars from 1896:

img_5169.jpg

-100% low floor

-all electric, powered bogies and single arm power collectors

-equipped with electric ATS from the start

-designed for one man operation

-overhead third rail (in tunnels) / overhead wire power (depot and old surface section before the extension)

The original fleet had 10 BVVV and 10 BKVT cars, one of them a higher speed express unit. They were used in the next 70 years with various upgrades every 20-30 years, including non powered trailers and electric multiple operation connections. 5 cars still exist, 2 in restored original and 3 in various modernised forms, including one full set with a non powered cab car added after WW2. This year, museum unit 11 will celebrate its 120th year in operation. (a video made in 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBce11PnMU) Car 1 and push-pull set 19 is exhibited in the abandonded old station at Deak square, reachable from level 1 of the metro station. The rest of the original stations are still in operation and retained their original look. The line currently uses modern articulated rolling stock built in the early 1970ies and runs on a 1 minute headway during rush hours.

• Like 1

I kinda like that one.  Utilitarian, but its compactness keeps it from appearing too clumsy or uncouth in design.

I'm quite partial to them myself, lived next to the line they run on for many years, they have a very distinctive "whine". They were replacements for the original stock, which was around 80 years old (!) at the time, some were lent out to Greece for a while, and some were sold to North Korea after they became surplus to requirements. Actually come to think of it, if I ever have the time and energy to experiment with scratchbuilding, it's something I'd try due to the relative simplicity of the shape...