N-Gauge train (simulated) car diaphragms (bendy things between railcars)

Gordon Werner

Gordon Werner

found out about these on a video recommended by YouTube ... seem to have problems w/tn couplers & tight curves (w/o modifications) but I am thinking about buying a set to try on display models that I have on my desk at work which don't need to actually bend but which would be an improvement to the "gap" between the two cars.

fp_01-2.jpg

They're just folded paper (I think) that are attached via heavy duty double-sided tape to the train end doors ... but I think the effect will be great on otherwise static display models 

I figure I'll give them a try (for my req.) and report back

more photos: http://www.hankyu.in/fp_02.html

product page: http://www.hankyu.in/fp.html

and the video that brought this to my attention (and illustrate potential issues w/tn couplers)

and

• Like 2

gordon,

did you find a good source for them? price? i was intrigued when i saw that video last month and was thinking maybe some small magnets might work inside the diaphragms to create the coupling. was interesting in experimenting some.

cheers

jeff

I like the idea in principle.  But actually doing it would be a pain in the bum in working.  On a 2 car consist (like a Keihan 600/700) it would be fine.  But I'd hate attaching the things every time I wanna pull a 8 car consist out of the case.

p.s.  They are called hoods.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Another candidate for the Japanese-English railway dictionary, since commonly, these are known as 'gangway/corridor connections'.

The direct Japanese translation would be 'through hood/canopy' (貫通幌) however.

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

I like the idea in principle.  But actually doing it would be a pain in the bum in working.  On a 2 car consist (like a Keihan 600/700) it would be fine.  But I'd hate attaching the things every time I wanna pull a 8 car consist out of the case.

p.s.  They are called hoods.

Here in the states they are usually called diaphragms.

Jeff

I only have 3 cars that I want to try them on and they always sit in a nice desktop display case ... but yeah could get troublesome if you have a large fleet.

as for the name ... hence my title ... wasn't sure what to call them

Gordon Werner

gordon,

did you find a good source for them? price? i was intrigued when i saw that video last month and was thinking maybe some small magnets might work inside the diaphragms to create the coupling. was interesting in experimenting some.

cheers

jeff

they sell them on their website http://hibarimodels.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=2038082&csid=0 but i don't know if they ship internationally ... I have asked  Nariichi-san of ModelTrainPlus if he can source a set for me.

The classic Tomix way is to add static ones to both cars and let the close couplers pull them together on straights, but those open on curves and S curves. For shinkansen both cars have spring mounted end plates that press together on straights and curves, but move aside in S curves.

I've seen a solution that had one side of a foam based flexible gangway permanently attached to one car and a small tab on the end slotting into the other to keep the other side in. Another variant that was used on an european train had solid gangways that attached to mountings on both cars also serving as a coupler. A home made variant used drawbars that connected to NEM coupler sockets on the cars and mounted the flexible gangway on top of these. The best hack i've seen so far used vertical sockets on the cars that attached to the gangway with pins, while the pins were wired together under the flexible cover. This way the cars connected both visually and electrically, while the normal couplers provided the mechanical connection.

My idea would be to create a gangway cover that just slides on top of the factory fitted plastic gangways after connecting the sets and grab into the sides and top of those, while stretching in the middle in curves. This could create a non permanent and easy to disconnect way to add these flexible gangways. (could even be added and removed on the fly during on layout shunting)

• Like 2

The classic Tomix way is to add static ones to both cars and let the close couplers pull them together on straights, but those open on curves and S curves. For shinkansen both cars have spring mounted end plates that press together on straights and curves, but move aside in S curves.

I've seen a solution that had one side of a foam based flexible gangway permanently attached to one car and a small tab on the end slotting into the other to keep the other side in. Another variant that was used on an european train had solid gangways that attached to mountings on both cars also serving as a coupler. A home made variant used drawbars that connected to NEM coupler sockets on the cars and mounted the flexible gangway on top of these. The best hack i've seen so far used vertical sockets on the cars that attached to the gangway with pins, while the pins were wired together under the flexible cover. This way the cars connected both visually and electrically, while the normal couplers provided the mechanical connection.

My idea would be to create a gangway cover that just slides on top of the factory fitted plastic gangways after connecting the sets and grab into the sides and top of those, while stretching in the middle in curves. This could create a non permanent and easy to disconnect way to add these flexible gangways. (could even be added and removed on the fly during on layout shunting)

That could be an interesting product idea.

Edited by chouw99

imho stock gangway with body mount TN coupler would be a better combo..

The idea was to use stock gangways + TN couplers + flexible covers, so the gangway connections remain closed even on curves.

The idea was to use stock gangways + TN couplers + flexible covers, so the gangway connections remain closed even on curves.

that would be nice. how about completely replacing the old gangway? it seems that we can't even fit 5 sheets of paper between the gap with body TN equipped.

I've looked for diaphragms like that! Just emailed them to see if they ship to the us. Been interested in what could be done. Thinking tiny 1x2mm magnets to hold them to the cars.

Thanks

Jeff