Finally... a plan!

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

Ok, well heres a rather crude plan of the benchwork... yes i have no cad skills (or software!)

The plan for the shed had to be revised to 20x8. This still allows  for 2 feet of walkway between the benches.

The green is supposed to represent a hilly area where i can hide some spurs off to a helix downward to a lower storage yard. So in total end to end it gives me 48 feet of track run and looping would obviously double that.

Now to work out a track plan... I want (yes thanks vince) a multi line local/shinkansen station... thought maybe have a double level station.

A tram line from somewhere into the city to the hill to link up with a cable car system is a must too. I want to include a fairly densely packed city side and a more rural side.

Image1.jpg

disturbman

So it seems that the mountain should be used as a divider between the two sides of your layout, city and rural... Or should the city build at the foot of the mountain... The idea of the mountain, the city and the cable car reminds me a lot of Hakodate.

The plan for the shed had to be revised to 20x8. This still allows  for 2 feet of walkway between the benches.

You could curve the outer edges of the benchwork inward in a spot or two, to make passing places for bipeds. :)

Darren - Is the Landlord, aka the wife, giving you the whole shed? If so I would do some serious advance planning.

I wouldn't use the entire shed for just the layout, consider using an area along the wall for your work bench, this will be a vital element for you layout and you probably be doing most of your work here.

I would do a wall mounted layout with angle brackets coming off the wall this will give you easy access to the wiring underneath plus storage.

Think also about a "free form" style bench work with curves using a facia board, this material easily bends and I would use it on the corners of your shed so that they curve and the corners aren't angular. With this type of layout you can do beautiful backdrops to enhance your scenery. (Clouds, distant structures, etc.)

I would start checking out prices of wood at your local lumber yard, and put together a list of materials you will need for your bench work, wood can be expensive.

Best of luck you must be excited!

disturbman

Oky, I'm still plyaing with the idea of a big loop using a duck under or some other device. I'm conviced that it will help you greatly.

In black: the Shinkansen line

In grey: the local lines

In pink: the tram

The big blue/white thing being the stations.

Then you can really work on everything, maybe loose the upper right spur to accomodate some work place or others.

post-156-13569922893374_thumb.jpg

Darren Jeffries

Bernard,

Yes I have got the whole shed, it is going to be purpose bought just for my hobbies. I will have some high shelves in there too for my model aircraft.

I wont need any workbench space because as you can see from the pics, I have two other sheds. The new shed will go onto the side of the double door shed you see in the picture. The smaller shed houses the tools (Household tools, lawnmower etc... ) the double door shed at the moment has got my unstarted model kits and some general junk... the junk needs getting rid of anyway so one half of that is going to be my workbench area for all my modelmaking.

Vince, I was inspired by the memories of Nagano... i remember seeing some cable cars and skiiers... but this mountain is going to be fairly green...

The idea is to use the mountain to split the layout as you say. Also to hide the spur to a helix down. I will try and utilise Bernards removable mountaintop technique as well.

Scott... I did think of almost splitting the rural side in two leaving enough support only for a bridge but actually i might use that idea for a removable section as vince has suggested....

Great ideas guys....

DSC00216.JPG

DSC00217.JPG

DSC00218.JPG

Darren, how's the weather going to affect things as the layout won't be in a client controlled location? I know out little layout at the railroad and the track likes to do all sorts of funky things between summer and winter plus the humidity and lack thereof?