Finally... a plan!

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

So guys, finally i have an initial plan in mind. Kato track plan 615 is going to be the basis for my layout. It will be somewhat modified to include a local tram loop and also a storage yard.

I plan to initially lay it down as a temporary layout until i am completely happy, then will work to draw up more realistic and detailed scenery plans...

Here is where i need your help... how can i adapt this plan so I can run a storage yard off. I want 12 roads in the yard and the building i am going to house this in is 20'1 ft by 10'1 ft.

Also I do wonder if the measurements given on the plan are for the baseboard area and not the whole track area which is a little smaller.

So peeps.... thoughts?

layout_615.jpg

disturbman

Nice plan, pack with action. I'm not sure where you are going to have room for a city or even a tram loop here but, okay. The same goes for the 12 tracks yard. This is huge!!! Maybe you can fit him on the left where everything is empty. Maybe you can even split him in two yards. There is allready some storage tracks (5 I think) in the midle of the layout and two near the main station.

disturbman

Yeah, maybe you should take of the tracks and the yard in the middle of the layout and put him, the yard, on the left side.

Darren Jeffries

My plan was to take out the storage yards in the middle, making a unbroken loop. Also the storage yards near the station on the far right of the plan can come out. I will have 9 feet or so of space on the end of the layout that i can accomodate a storage yard in, but I am trying to figure out how to spur off the two distinct loops into a storage yard (which will be hidden by a Hill/Mountain.)

As I said, I am only using this plan as a basis and with the storage tracks gone from the middle of the layout, there should be plenty of room for a city scene.

One thought i had was to have the tram track running from the far bottom to the centre station so I can connect with a Faller cable car kit i plan to put in the mountain.

Darren Jeffries

Here's a VERY crude idea of what i plan... sorry for the bad drawing using paint!!!!

As you can see, this leaves lots of space for a city scene and room to think about a tram line... not sure if a loop will work, maybe end to end across the front?

ideas1.jpg

Darren Jeffries

Whoa, that;'s a lot of Unitrack to that plan.

It is... and i figured from going through Hobbysearch that its £900 minimum. However If i can replace some of the less visible stuff with finescale, it should be less.

Congratulations on getting the "real estate" to start your dream layout!

I do have a couple of questions:

1) What are the dimensions of this layout for benchwork?

2) Will this layout be "free standing" or built up against a wall?

Third question since I just saw your last post,

Is money a factor for track since there is a lot of Unitrack involved.

Why I ask this is you might save yourself some money if you go to Peco Flex track instead. The sections are longer, it looks fantastic and they make bullet proof turnouts. Plus you have the added bonus I don't have, it's made in England and it will be easy for you to get.

disturbman

You want to break the "Shinkansen" loop with a spur going to the yard? Is that even remotely possible on a viaduc?

I'm still thinking "out loud"... I don't know the pieces but maybe you can spur it from the station connecting the outer track's turnout with another turnout leading toward the yard. But that's very crude and I'm sure not prototypical at all.

Usually HST yard are situated on the ground, not far away from normal train yard and near big stations. Maybe then you should think about of a way of joining the two stations, the shinkanse one and the not shinkansen one, in a bigger one.

:)

Darren Jeffries

Congratulations on getting the "real estate" to start your dream layout!

I do have a couple of questions:

1) What are the dimensions of this layout for benchwork?

2) Will this layout be "free standing" or built up against a wall?

Bernard, I figure the benchwork is 11.5ft by nearly 8ft with the layout slightly smaller. The "hobby shed" is 20x10 so should be just big enough to walk around it, so freestanding. Come to think of it, thats going to be tight. May need to rethink the shed to a 20x12.

You want to break the "Shinkansen" loop with a spur going to the yard? Is that even remotely possible on a viaduc?

I'm still thinking "out loud"... I don't know the pieces but maybe you can spur it from the station connecting the outer track's turnout with another turnout leading toward the yard. But that's very crude and I'm sure not prototypical at all.

Usually HST yard are situated on the ground, not far away from normal train yard and near big stations. Maybe then you should think about of a way of joining the two stations, the shinkanse one and the not shinkansen one, in a bigger one.

:)

Vince, Maybe joining the two stations to make one big station is a good idea... got me thinking. That would allow for a hidden spur inside the mountain. I dont plan to have a shinkansen yard as part of the visual element of the layout, and will be more of a hidden fiddleyard.

Bernard, I figure the benchwork is 11.5ft by nearly 8ft with the layout slightly smaller. The "hobby shed" is 20x10 so should be just big enough to walk around it, so freestanding.

Darren - One rule of thumb is not to make a layout more than 4ft in width if it's free standing, 3ft if it's against a wall.  It really becomes a pain when you start laying track and working on scenery, you are constantly walking around the benchwork trying to reach areas and with an 8ft wideth it might be very difficult. I'm basing this on my first layout, it was a constant pain, and that was a 16'x5' rectangle free standing, I was constantly on a step stood.

I'm basing this from the plan that the benchwork will be a rectangle.  Is the original plan based on the 11.5' x 8'?

Darren Jeffries

hmmm... food for thought. Back to the drawing board... well i'll stick with 20x10 and see what i can come up with.

disturbman

Darren, what Bernard says is true but if you have a whole shed for yourself and your layout then you will be able to make it a "around the walls".

I can't believe I'm about to say this about a layout with £900 worth of Unitrack, but--it looks like it could use some more track. :)

If you have trains long enough to fill that large station, then you only have about 2-3 train-lengths of track before they're back in the station again. If the elevated line ran farther toward the edges of the table, you might get some more running time.

That said, Bernard's idea is worth thinking about, too--a 3-foot-deep layout around the walls of a 20x10 shed would leave you a four-foot walkway in the middle. But you might need some narrower spots for turnarounds.

Anyway--I don't mean to sound critical--it looks like a lot of fun!

disturbman

You could really make it an "around the walls" layout with breakable trackage along the doors so you can enter and have a complete loop when they are closed.  :cool:

At the far end, far from the doors, you put the core of the layout. The city, the tram loop and the station will be there and you use the other walls for the loop and maybe a suburban station.

Yeah, I'm stopping right here. Other wise I will go to far from what you had in mind... What? I've allready done that. Sorry.  :laugh:

Darren--

This is a really crude drawing, I know, but -- here's a comparison of a three-foot-deep "along the walls" setup in that shed, versus the table layout in the track plan above (shown in dashed lines). The 3-foot depth should be enough for 180-degree turns at the ends with the 15"/16.5"-radius double track.

post-151-13569922891786_thumb.jpg

Tenorikuma

I can't believe I'm about to say this about a layout with £900 worth of Unitrack, but--it looks like it could use some more track. :)

How much do you pay for track? The total given on that sheet is about $300 worth.

Darren Jeffries

How much do you pay for track? The total given on that sheet is about $300 worth.

Even if those prices on the sheet were accurate (which they are not as hobby search are a little cheaper) the cost would be:

248,441 Japanese Yen = 1,561.92 British Pound

So.... if you can tell me where to get that amount of track for $300, i'll jump at the chance!!!!!

Darren Jeffries

Darren--

This is a really crude drawing, I know, but -- here's a comparison of a three-foot-deep "along the walls" setup in that shed, versus the table layout in the track plan above (shown in dashed lines). The 3-foot depth should be enough for 180-degree turns at the ends with the 15"/16.5"-radius double track.

Scott, thanks for this, I would even consider helixing down to a storage yard to save space for the layout.

Tenorikuma

So.... if you can tell me where to get that amount of track for $300, i'll jump at the chance!!!!!

My mistake, I was looking at the wrong number!  :icon_joker:

Darren Jeffries

My mistake, I was looking at the wrong number!  :icon_joker:

Doh! I was getting my hopes up there that you could get me a deal! ;-)