HELP!!! what loco are those?!?!?!

FastFranz

Ciao,

To me are american (still at work, nowadays, on the ivorian rails), but in detail?

The first one (PIC ONE: partially hidden by a wall, but it's the only pic I have) is/could be an EMD GP40?

The second one (PIC TWO: full loco in sight) is ... errrrrrr ... an EMD GT26?

I will be "off-line" for about a week - from tomorrow morning - but on my return any input will be appreciated, THX!!!

Francesco

PS: ... ONCE MORE MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY BODY!!!

post-2923-0-28644900-1451069420_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-93816300-1451069429_thumb.jpg

Edited by FastFranz

Ciao.

The first one looks like a GP38 variant of some kind.

Could be! As a matter of fact both of them are (still today, seen two days ago on the rails) on duty here, Ivory Coast where I live now.

SITARAIL, the Ivorian railways (mainly a "single rail" long line connecting the port of Abidjan with the manganese mines of Burkina Faso) has a metric gauge (1.000 mm) and show an extremely simple livery: bright orange - when clean, of course - with large logo on the side, a small logo on the nose and the "road number" (in white) on cabin crew).

I'm considering a kitbashing of an US model (and f*ck the metric gauge) then GP38/40 coud be a fair/good "starting point"

train.jpg

We'll see ... ... ... ;)

Francesco

• Like 1

Both locos are GT-series engines. The one hidden behind the wall looks like an ex-Spoornet (South Africa) loco. The one crossing the street is definitivelt a GT26.

Cheers NB

Both locos are GT-series engines. The one hidden behind the wall looks like an ex-Spoornet (South Africa) loco. The one crossing the street is definitivelt a GT26.

Cheers NB

Looking at the first one again, I think you're right - I didn't notice the shape of the short hood nose on the first one before.

Ciao,

This  makes things a bit more complicated! My idea is/was to get - during my next italian holidays - a GP 38/40 and mimiching the ivorian  diesel unit with that.

Decal are NOT a problem (I will apply where I got those used for my CRH), livery is rather simple: orange with dark grey boogies,  logos on nose/sides and white road number on cabin crew

Here there'is no option to scratchbuilt anything (and also kitbashing is rather complicated): guys, do You think (first image of loco) a GP unit is too far and way from reality?

Here  they made a "mess" of everything and repairs are only made - when made ... - if absolutely unvoaidable and with the aim to ... "go ahed" resulting, then, in the must incredible transplant.

THX, see You - likely - next week.

Francesco

PS: PLS - webmaster - remove image should any copyright problem arise, THX!

post-2923-0-01132300-1451118225_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-71515600-1451118242_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-47832800-1451118271.jpg

Edited by FastFranz

Ciao,

I kept investigating: it looks like no GT26 (N gauge) is available, true? The other loco (the one partially hidden by the wall) could be anything, and its reverse, as may of You have said. I got, almost the same answer on other forums I checked.

On the internet I only found images of the GT26 (really widespread in Africa) and then I decided to put fantasy at work and and ended up with the image I add. It's based on an EMD SD40 since few of them arrived in Western Africa. Color, side logo (could be a bit bigger) and "numbers" are those shown by the GT26. Accessing to the rail terminal is - almost ... - impossible since it's considered a "risky area" and is under close control! Then I'm blocked. :(

The key point is - in order to be "as little as possible" away from reality - understanding how many axles each bogie has? TWO/THREE? To make  a long story short (and assuming no GT26 model is available) going as in the image (considering a GP 38/40 or SD 40) has to be considered a monkey business ... ;)

Francesco

PS: Should I end up understanding it's a "four axles" loco I could switch to a GP38/40.

post-2923-0-27787200-1452206331_thumb.jpg

Edited by FastFranz

Imho essentially it looks like an emd sd40 variant with 3 axle trucks. It might be possible to add 3rd party 3 axle bogies to an sd40 frame. (from a broken 6 axle unit)

The same axle number conversion was done for the gm nohab f7p-s, first to a1a-a1a bogies and later builds to to Co-Co.

Ciao,

Soty, I'm afraid I haven't got You:

... it looks like an emd sd40 variant with 3 axle trucks ...

If You point to my design/loco it true end correct: I found an SD40 image over the net and painted it the way the ivorian loco (when, seldom, are cleanded) looks like. If You refer to "real" loco - image previously posted - this is a good new since that could be the way to go ...

The question - I'm not able to answer - is: what kind of loco is that and above all what boogies (2/3 axles each)?

... It might be possible to add 3rd party 3 axle bogies to an sd40 frame. (from a broken 6 axle unit) ...

Considering the going here, the absolutely"out of date" rail net, the scarcity of spare spare parts (as a general rule) the one You suggest could be the way they went!

But again nothing sure! ... ... ... AND I CAN'T LOOK BEHIND THAT DAMNED WALL!!!

Francesco

PS: I'm afraid I enterd a "mouse-trap". LLLOOOLLL!!!

Edited by FastFranz

Ciao,

I will try again (sooner or later), but (beyond my problem with french) I already went twice to the rail-terminal asking for, at least, a close view of the loco. I was told, politely but firmly, that access to that (restricted) area is limited to employees. Security members "yellowed" me loudly while I was taking the (only I have) picture shown here.

Trains on the go - other two pictures - are a different thing but I never met this loco: Sitarail runs four trains (in all) a week, all heading to Ouagadougou (in Burkina Faso).

Well, You have to live here to try to understand, Africa is DIFFERENT!!! ... Like it or leave it!! ;)

Francesco

Perhaps the approach is not the right one. I would suggest you to ask an engineer to take a few photos for you. This means you don't have to go in there or even talk to or approach security, just try to find someone who could help you without going in. (emailing the company would be my 1st idea, asking someone who works there the 2nd)

ps: technical staff who maintain and run an american locomotive is likely to speak at least a bit of english and may even have access to the maintenance documentation and you may even ask them to take a few photos of that too

Ciao

Give it a try won't cost me a dime ... so! But - frankly - I'm not that positive: after almost three years I live here there are many aspects of the ivorian way to deal with "real life" that are, to me at least, absolutely NON understandable (hoping the term is correct) ... I'll see!

Francesco

Ciao,

I kept searching (over the internet, no response to e-mail, phone call or alike) and ended up with the following statement (a Frech Forum, as a matter of fact Ivory Coas was, until 1960, a French Colony):

... le modèle GT26 est équipé du même groupe diesel, l' EMD 16-645 que les universelles SD40 et SD40-2 des réseaux d'outre-Atlantique, de Mauritanie et de Guinée. Basiquement et techniquement, les GT26 sont des SD40 adaptées ...

That - basically - says the GT26 are descending from SD40 and SD40-2 - sharing among the rest the same engine EMD 16-645 - used in Africa, among the rest, by Morocco and Guinea (rather close to Ivory Coast) thus I dare to consider that (half hidden) loco a EMD SD 40/SD40-2. AM I TOO WRONG?

Francesco

Edited by FastFranz

Almost. The bogies are different, but internally they are almost identical. You can find some nice drawings and photos of both and could compare them.

Ciao,

NOPE!!! The differences between a GT26 (full pictured Ivorian loco) and SD 40/SD40-2 (lot of images everywhere) are clear and easy to detect, even for me!

My question: an SD40 could be used - without going "too far" - to "mimic" the loco half hidden by the wall?

Someone - previously - stated it could be something related to a EMD GP38, others stated it could be an ex-Spoornet or alike, the french guy added some SD40 where used elsewhere in Africa (and Giunea is not that far from here).

I'm still trying to get - before taking any decision - a "full body" image of the loco ... Then in the end I could even consider to go for a "full-fantasy" loco, but this is a whole different issue ... ;)

Francesco

My question: an SD40 could be used - without going "too far" - to "mimic" the loco half hidden by the wall?

I would say if you could detect the differences and doesn't want to ignore them, then probably not. It all depends on how much difference you are willing to ignore and how much you are willing to modifiy your model. I think nobody could really answer your question for you. If you are unsure, then checking for more data is still possible, even if it takes time or you could try to model the visible part as good as you can and just make up the rest based on similar types and assumptions.

ps: It could turn out to be a half stripped loco, with no bogies and most of the frame missing and just propped up on some blocks. :)

By the way, i think this is your loco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_33-200

778px-SAR_Class_33-200_33-203.JPG

Of the remainder, four locomotives went to SitaRail in Côte d'Ivoire, one to the Sudan Railways and one to the Nkana mine of Mopani Copper Mines in Zambia.

Especially considering each locomotive was slightly different and this was the only one with the two larger side lamps above the cab.

Ciao,

One of the - few - things I do not miss is time (it passes way differently in Africa). What I - instead - miss (actually) are even the simplest modelling "tools"/"materials", ie: a plasticard sheet in something unheard at all, modelling paint is the same (what I used for the chinese train) come from a industrial paint shop ...

Under this circumstances in not easy even think of "modifing" a loco beyond the very basic element (such as moving horns elsewhere and alike), for this reason I'm trying to gather as much info as I can and try to guess which loco goes as closer as possible to the original one.

Of course a"real loco" picture will end the discussion but. so far, I haven't been able to get it, and as a matter of fact - damned wall!!! - I don't even know how much axles has a single bogie!!!

So I keep the investigation going (even if I am, step by step, convincing myself the only way to go is a "full-fantasy" loco). We'll see ... ;)

Francesco

PS: the loco in Your image COULD BE the one in my pic!

Edited by FastFranz

Ciao,

Yes, the SITARAIL (Société Internationale de Transport Africain par RAIL). It’s a, sort of, joint venture between Ivorian Government and a private “logistic operator.

SITARAIL runs a "single rail" long line – using the, quite common in Africa, metric gauge: 1.000 mm - connecting the port of Abidjan with the manganese mines of Burkina Faso. The line is 1.260 Km long and is “run” at an average speed of 25 Km/h, who cares abour "bullet trains"?!?!?!

All loco SITARAIL runs seem to be EMD GT26, even if, I took a pic, may be there's something else.

I live, now, in Ivory Coast and would like to reproduce one of those locos, but it looks like such a model (N gauge) doesn't exist ... so either I'll give up or, else, I'll end up with a "fantasy-loco". I'm puzzled ...

Francesco

Ciao,

@kvp: You were right the loco in Your image IS the loco (Class 33-200). Got no picture but - still beyond the wall - I managed to observe the whole upper part ... THAT'S IT!

Question, now: go for a "fantasy-loco" or not? ;)

Francesco