You know what really grinds my gears?

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

Of late my MA Keihan 8000 has been acting up.

At low throttle it moves perhaps a quarter inch, then seizes up. If you reverse it the same happens in the other direction.

If you immediately switch to full throttle, it runs, but there's a noise that sounds exactly like the car is derailed. Only, it's not. The noise is coming from INSIDE the train.

Something is catching in there, and I'm not sure what - or how to disassemble it to find out.

My MA Keihan 800 series is the same.  I think the motor brushes are making contact as they rotate.  And it needs a lot of juice to make it run.  I have had the motor car completely disassembled into every piece.  So the only thing that can be the issue it the motor.

If you noise is metallic, then maybe the motor.  If your noise is more plastic, then it may be the axles between the motor and bogies.  I had a Tomix N700 that had issues with the axles until I pulled the motor car apart and realigned everything.

One of the plastic truck gear got damaged, one of the tooth probably cracked and got misaligned. Better replace it asap. Or you could just remove it if you can't find a replacement, usually losing one motorized axle won't affect the performance much.