Totoro module layout

tossedman

As many of you may have seen in my post in the off topic forum, I've decided to create a Totoro module for our shelf layout. I've started a new thread here in this forum as it seems the more appropriate place to document my progress. This first post is a bit redundant as it's basically the same as the post in the Totoro train post in the Off Topic forum.

The module will be 18 inches deep and 60 inches wide. That's a standard module size isn't it? :toothy12:

It'll have a single track crossing the back. I tried cutting some scrap foam that I had lying around and it'll look something like this. Got to make the foam under the rails wider though, with sides that are less steep.

Here's the module that I'll be building on. I'll move it to the middle of the three that you see along the wall in the second photo below.

totoro5.thumb.jpg.c746d0d2f6c6db13e6378f11cff2b16f.jpg

totoro6.thumb.jpg.4ef0179527f5cf47dc8cf203838aa8fa.jpg

The table in the foreground is where my son Noah is building his ever-changing layouts. Just bought that set of drawers that you see underneath the table layout to store his trains in. Works like a charm. Gotta like Ikea.

I took this map that I'd posted earlier and adapted it to get the picture below it.

map.jpg

totoromap.thumb.jpg.61cea5cee2e850a01642d72a515abf60.jpg

There will be a 12 inch by 60 inch module with a reversing loop on either end. They won't necessarily follow the Totoro theme but may be related to the same era, which is around 1956 apparently.

I've got the [Miniatuart] Limited Edition 'My Neighbour Totoro' Satsuki & Mei's House, [Miniatuart] Diorama Option Kit : Bell Tower, [Miniatuart] Diorama Option Kit : Bus Stop A, [Miniatuart] Good Old Diorama Series : Private House C, [Miniatuart] Good Old Diorama Series : Small Shrine, [Miniatuart] Good Old Diorama Series : Farm House B, and the [Miniatuart] Good Old Diorama Series : Farm House. I've got some rice paddies on the way. Now I need to get a mess of trees including one for the big Camphor tree, I'd also like to get an old style bonnet bus and some figures that look like those in the movie. Maybe a Catbus if I can find one. I'm going to try 3D printing some different sized Totoros. Probably from Shapeways as my 3D printer just isn't high enough resolution.

Here's the atmosphere I'm looking to replicate.

totoro3.thumb.jpg.ad5be394607127e00af8cb7e30e2ee5f.jpg

I've got a small bridge like this one on the way from Japan. Some rice paddies as well. Now I need to learn how to model water, water with a tiny waterfall.

totoro4.thumb.jpg.f73731dcef13830a8e998fe7b978fa5b.jpg

Next, I need to find an N scale version of something like this. Sankei makes this one but I'm pretty sure that it's a lot bigger than 1/150.

totoro1.thumb.jpg.34411e47973652fb39bc1642fdf27f75.jpg

And a bus like this. Tomytec made these but so far I haven't found one

totoro2.thumb.jpg.70876450f41e2083b54430c6e75c84dc.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come. Santa's on the way with some bits and pieces for this layout.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 8

Here's what the left module is shaping up to look like. That'll be a soy sauce brewery on left end. The whole thing needs to shift away from the wall a bit. I should also mention that B Train Shorties will be the trains prowling these tracks.

totoro7.thumb.jpg.1e371853ade640399c3ccc72acc7bc4d.jpg

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded image
  • Like 3
Krackel Hopper

Next, I need to find an N scale version of something like this. Snake makes this one but I'm pretty sure that it's a lot bigger than 1/150.

The 3 wheeled trucks have a few n scale options.

Not sure how easy/difficult it would be to find, but Tomytec has two styles available in their Basic Collection I1

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10163724

Also, Tsugawa makes a couple..

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10347164 (I think this one is probably the closest to matching)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10347155

Are those the Kato CV 150mm curves?

Module design looks fantastic!  So does the brewery on the other end!

Thanks guys. Krackel, I'd seen all of those trucks, might get the Tsugawa one if I can't find any others. 

Those are Kato Unitrack Compact Curved Track R117mm curves. Even smaller! That's what's limiting this layout to the B Train Shorties. I didn't plan it that way when I bought it but that brewery fits quite nicely across the end there doesn't it. 

I've no plans yet for the other end module other than it will also need to have an R117 loop. Might be a town scene of some kind. It'll need a station of some kind I think. I may draw some inspiration (i.e. blatantly copy) from some of the videos I'd posted in another thread.

I'll be wiring the reverse loops with a system I picked up from Azatrax.

Don't think much building is going to happen over the next couple of days as there's this strange energy in the air that only a nine year old can generate at Christmas time. Best holiday wishes to one and all.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman

Thanks guys. Krackel, I'd seen all of those trucks, might get the Tsugawa one if I can't find any others. 

Don't think much building is going to happen over the next couple of days as there's this strange energy in the air that only a nine year old can generate at Christmas time. Best holiday wishes to one and all.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Lol the only part of the holidays I still enjoy!

I may be able to help out on the truck.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Todd, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I went through the pictures that are supplied with that 3 Wheel Truck, especially the one taking the truck out of the box.  If the box is only 60mm, then that truck looks good for N scale.

Just my opinion, but I was convinced enough to order one for myself.  This will look great driving down my DioTown Streetscape.

gerryo

Edited by gerryo

Merry Christmas Jerry!

Looking at the photos of the truck I think it's going to be too large for N scale. An N scale VW van is only 30 mm long.

Let me know when yours arrives because if I'm wrong I'll buy one ASAP.

I think it'd be HO or even O scale. Don't forget that it's based on a tiny truck that used a motorcycle engine. Here's a picture with some hands for reference.

10275438b.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

The little tomytec n scale guys are about 5/8" long. The actual vehicles are about 6-8' long so they would be 12-16mm long scale (easy quick and dirty scale reference is 2mm scale per real foot).

Jeff

Built a little Sankei bus stop this afternoon. I quite like the Tamiya Craft Bond glue I got. Makes it easy to work with the glue and get just enough where you want it to go. 

totoro8.thumb.jpg.05428d4a8bb32048c340e12612083a28.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 2

Today I hacked up some foam for the module. Got the railbed down and the track laid. Didn't take much thought there, just had to make it wide enough for the catenary poles and a bit of ballast on the sides of the Kato Unitrack. Got the ditch dug as well.

Here's a couple of pics.

totoro9.thumb.jpg.ccbbbd2eae19e87929fe9be09b6aaae1.jpg

totoro10.thumb.jpg.86987851c2b4930254bbf224b32d8b19.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 9
Davo Dentetsu

I have a few fans of this movie on my Facebook friends list, so have been sharing around.  I'm liking the look of this!  :)

Spaceman Spiff

Looks good Todd. Have You run some trains on the layout yet? I ran trains on mine prior to doing the scenery just in case there was issues with track plan.

Spiff

Have you tried the Shorties on that 150mm radius point yet? If not, then make sure they run properly before you screw anything down.

I had major problems persuading B Train Shorties on the Bandai chassis to take the diverging route on the 150mm points, they tended to derail instead. Don't know whether filing a slight taper into the tips of the point blades (as with the #4s) would help, as I've yet to try it.

I suspect the Bandai inside bearings don't help as they allow a fair bit of slop, Kato bogies might be better as they have conventional pinpoint axles.

Spiff and Welshbloke, sure have. Here you see a B Train Shinkansen on a similar layout. The corner on the left end is R117 mm track and it's R150 mm at the right end. No problems! I'm using Kato trucks and 2 Bandai power units on this train. There's also an R150 mm turnout on both end loops.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

Have you tried the Shorties on that 150mm radius point yet? If not, then make sure they run properly before you screw anything down.

Adding two small guide rails before the points like on tomix turnouts helps keeping the wheels centered and the flanges away from the blades. Actually a piece of styrene or wood filed into a octagon shape, painted and glued down works too.

Edited by kvp