Trane Train

Guest ___

http://www.trane.org/ngage.html

Sorta regretted not buying any of these back in 05 in Kyoto so when I had the chance to buy some in 08 in Tokyo, I bought a boat load. sadly not very good for modeling, thought the Enoden (#84) train set looks pretty good on a T-trak module. Still sorta cool to have. I also bought a (x3) container train(#74)  and an EF81 (#63) at Ueno, and I grabbed a pair of 103's Osaka Loop Line (#06) at Akihabara for next to nothing. (only damn deal at the Akiba)

I saw them EVERYWHERE in Kansai, but strangely enough all the time I spent in Kanto and Kyushu I hadn't seen anywhere near as many of them offered for sale. In fact I can't recall single a single place in Miyazaki that sold them.

Most of them look pretty bad, but there's a few that look pretty decent, and could pass for stock sitting back in the far end of a yard. The Endoden ones look pretty good and sit well on my sole T-trak module.

EDIT: Reply was made to one posted by redracer which subsequently was removed by Doug.

yeah they look good in the box, but a bit klunky once out. ok desk toys as they are pretty sturdy!

the Bandai Star Train models look a lot more realistic and were pretty cheap (usually under $5 shipped) when they were available. these were 1:150 models of end cars (most of the shinkansens and many express and interurbans). simple kits of like 10 pieces and the plastic track section. they were sold in convenience stores for like 200yen (with the piece of nasty tasting tasting chewing gum for the tax man.)

now days only one or two pops up on ebay. In the end there were 5 collections of 12 trains each. too bad bandai didnt keep them going or have not re-released them. when i get some time ill take some photos of them, i have most of the sets. keep meaning to make a static display out of them and mount them in a clear plastic wall display box, but never have gotten around to it. figure it would make a nice show display.

cheers,

jeff

I bought the Enoden set just to have for the T-trak module as a display piece. One day I'll actually build my Gundam battle scene and have the 305 sitting on the tracks near the battle.

alpineaustralia

I have a whole bunch for my little boy. They actually dont look too  bad as props provided you dont place them on a live track (the wheels are not isolated and short circuit the current).  The wheels also do not turm and so they had a special track that they run on.

I love em.

I am seeing over 130 listings for "Trane N-gauge" on Ebay as of today. Are these usable as engines or just paperweights? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm just indroducing myself back into the hobby!

The small print from way below:

A maker: Because it is a type that can not run the train automatic, rail that the flow of current (Model Train Track Please never be placed rail, etc.). N gauge train Corporation will have received the consent of the commercialization from the train companies.

So they are cast metal, non moving (including non moving wheels) and will cause a short when placed on any kind of energised track. They are paperweights, but fairly expensive ones.

Kristen,

Good paperweights, that's about it. Heavy cast metal shells and metal wheels and axles that will short things! Detail is less than a tomytec or bandai star train model.

It is about the only end car models like this out there though. Wide selection over the years.

About 6-7 years ago bandai was doing the star trains that were neat pop together plastic models sold in convince stores (with a piece of candy to avoid tax). They were really nicely detailed and cheap and had most of the Shinkansen and may express and commuter end cars. Really cool and neat display models. Unfortunately they never kept them going, I think btrains came in and took all their attention.

Cheers

Jeff