Hakone Tozan line in N Gauge

tridentalx

tridentalx

Hi alantrains,

I really like how you laid this out and I look forward to seeing further updates.

My layout building hit a bit of a brick wall as i didn't have anywhere useful to store and work on it. So, I have spent some time reducing the size of my OO layout to make room for a Hakone layout. Work has started on rebuilding it with a double track circuit around the bottom just for the "playing trains" bit and I am working on the second and third level. I think this version will be better. 

I also have a Kato powerpack and some point switches now so I can wire it all up as I go.

• Like 1

IMG_0757_zpsvgqeouwx.jpg

Prototypical incorrect in just about every aspect.  But like reading this thread.  So make a Hakone layout within a small layout, you need to compromise.  Which I think you have done nicely.  Even though there are many things prototypically incorrect in the layout.  If still have the switchbacks and inclines that give it the feel of Hakone.  I like it.

• Like 2
tridentalx

Some pics of the start of the layout in its new permanent location. I have decided to remove one of the tight loops and build up the track height across the back of the layout. This also means that Gora station is seen face on and I can perhaps model the shops around the station and maybe the start of the walk up the mountain.

post-839-0-22690500-1462389974_thumb.jpg

post-839-0-99091200-1462389984_thumb.jpg

post-839-0-58135500-1462389996_thumb.jpg

And I have a very short trip to Japan in late August so I can stock up on all the bits and pieces that cost too much to ship. 

Edited by tridentalx
  • Like 3
tridentalx

With the approach to Gora station now coming in from the left (haven't built the layout up to that level yet) I am hoping to get a better display of the platform area and perhaps the shops behind and if I'm lucky a backdrop of the Hakone Gora park as seen in the second pic.

post-839-0-87855000-1462469708_thumb.jpg

post-839-0-15923700-1462469721_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
tridentalx

That second pict is such a nice mini scene!

Jeff

I know. Time will tell whether I can evoke the same theme. Given my limited creative skills, if anybody can suggest a suitable kit or ready built model of shop similar to the ones on the right of the pic (or the one below) I'll get an order in.

post-839-0-23755000-1462473464_thumb.jpg

Tomytec have some shops that are close but you will need to modify them a little to get the same effect. Some of them have open front shops like this along with interior details.

Sankei shops might work as you could easily cut out the street front walls to get the open shop feel. Shapeways has some fruit boxes in n scale. Might be something Toni could add to his beer crates!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126410

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8VWQQLLU8/16-n-scale-fruit-boxes?optionId=8015268

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12g-Glass-Micro-Beads-No-Hole-0-6mm-1mm-Nail-Art-Caviar-Marbles-Microbeads-J-17-/121919527588?hash=item1c62f85aa4:g:d8YAAOSwv9hW2WYn

You can make these by slicing off bits of rectangular stryene tubing. Then just fill with microbeads, sand, etc and paint your item color on.

Tomix corner shop also might work. One of the forum members I think used the tomix corner shop to kitbash a similar looking open corner shop, I'll look for the thread.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
tridentalx

Thanks for the suggestions Jeff. I like the Sankei shops. I might hold on and get some of these in August in Tokyo.

Couple more pics of progress.  I have laid the track and crossings on the turnback. As this is intended to be a permanent layout the wiring is passed through drilled holes in the baseboard and will eventually be connected to a controller on the front of the layout.

Proving run with an EF81. The power tracks are in the turnback area.

post-839-0-20742800-1462827655_thumb.jpg

post-839-0-44272400-1462827724_thumb.jpg

Obviously all this will be secured neatly in due course. The Kato points are so easy to wire compared to Peco point motors.

Edited by tridentalx

Returning to this thread after nearly a year .. where has the time gone. I made another couple of false starts with this layout. I just couldn't get the spirals and risers up to the next level right. I also wanted to see if I could actually turn a bare baseboard into something with scenic work on it. 

During a further brief visit to Japan last August I picked up quite a few bits and pieces for the layout that otherwise cost loads of money to get shipped to the UK. 

So here's a tiny bit of progress.

IMG_1729_zpsmgyuqk1j.jpg

IMG_1728_zpsrtn3vqfk.jpg

The effect I'm aiming for is this:

Hakone-Tozan-Kami-ohiradai-Signal-Sta.jp

Edited by tridentalx
  • Like 13

Hi all,

A bit more progress. I've done a bit more ballasting with the Kato scatter material. I have also finished most of the woodwork apart from some additional supports under the top baseboard. 

All the track has been laid out in broadly the right position for Gora station. Except I realised I was one left hand point short - hence the gap in the photo - but I've got one on order.

Off to Oz (Melbourne) for work for a couple of weeks so will be a bit of a gap again before I get any further.

I'm determined to use my Tomix bus turntable as there is a turntable in that location at Gora. The base of it is quite thick though so how have others created roadway that is the same height (although the ramp for the crossing is close by and that is nearly flat on the ground).

IMG_1903_zps3yz8lpzu.jpg

IMG_1904_zps2uxi4evz.jpg

IMG_1901_zpsjvcpipag.jpg

Edited by tridentalx
  • Like 9

Hi Tridentalx,

I'm also looking at a Hakone Tozan layout, I have managed to find 5 of the units through some very active ebaying...

I'm using Peco Settrack though as I had some in my bits box and the short radius. My aim is for a 4'x3' layout so I can transport it in the back of my car...

Unfortunately building it has ground to a halt as we're tydying up now the builders have gone...

Cheers,

Friso

• Like 1