Tram Party - Rock On Little Trolley

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

What do you mean, what's the prize? Its right behind you! :D That has got to be one hell of a rewarding hobby.

3421148130_33ac4edb77_b.jpg

When you're done there, the Museum of Transportation here in St Louis has been working up a list of other trams they want your help with :D

http://transportmuseumassociation.org/interurban.html

EDIT: Split from http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,903.0.html

What do you mean, what's the prize? Its right behind you! :D That has got to be one hell of a rewarding hobby.

LOL! I'd never thought of it like that!  ;D

It is rewarding, although there are times when I scratch my head, wonder what the hell I'm doing, and wish I'd taken up the slide trombone instead...

When you're done there, the Museum of Transportation here in St Louis has been working up a list of other trams they want your help with :D

That's an impressive list. The Illinois Terminal cars would be something I'd particularly like to work on.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well, by the look of that well-worn Type C-2 macadam and the obvious poor repair of the Zeldman-Lopez road paint, which was last produced in 1979, all of which indicates a location in the Western US, I'd guess San Francisco.

Sushi Train

Well, by the look of that well-worn Type C-2 macadam and the obvious poor repair of the Zeldman-Lopez road paint, which was last produced in 1979, all of which indicates a location in the Western US, I'd guess San Francisco.

BINGO!!  ;D

Geez, I just assumed it was San Fransisco because of the footboards on the tram... ;)

Cheers,

Mark.

CaptOblivious

The surprisingly insightful technical evaluation of the roadwork, and a reverse lookup on your email address, indicate you must be a civil engineer near Virginia Tech? Or, more likely, just pulling our leg ;P

(B)

Fairly close on the general location, completely off on the career.  :)  I'm in Charlottesville, home of UVa, not Blacksburg, and my public identity is that of a mild-mannered environmental planner.

Sushi Train

These were ahead of their time...until the city scrapped them in favour of buses in the late 60's, worst mistake they made.  :'(

Me thinks this thread has been hijacked  ::)

post-147-13569922508343_thumb.jpg

Based on experience with our example, No. 548, I have mixed feelings about the FM/Phoenix cars. But there's no doubt they were an advanced car for their day, and a very striking looking design as well.

3432112020_c20180ee59_o.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

Mark,

The restoration they you fellows do is outstanding. Would you mind starting a new thread about the Trams that you restore?

Sushi Train

Based on experience with our example, No. 548, I have mixed feelings about the FM/Phoenix cars. But there's no doubt they were an advanced car for their day, and a very striking looking design as well.

3432112020_c20180ee59_o.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

post-147-13569922540506_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922541282_thumb.jpg

post-147-13569922541838_thumb.jpg

Mark,

The restoration they you fellows do is outstanding. Would you mind starting a new thread about the Trams that you restore?

Thanks for the compliment - I'd be happy to, Bernard. (But I can't take any credit for 548, it was restored some years back. All I do with it is keep it serviced and accredited.)

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

If y'all are gonna have a tram thread SOMEONE gots to post the Key System.

Here, I'll do it.

The modern, bi-articulated tramcar which we now call "light rail" was actually invented by the Key in 1936. Then the city planners decided they wanted to "clean up" the Oakland streets of messy streetcars. So they got scrapped and replaced by AC Transit buses which still ply the original routes.

post-161-13569922636556_thumb.jpg

marknewton

Go the Brill "Bullet" - a super tram indeed! That's a nice photo, Aaron, was it taken at a trolley museum?

Cheers,

Mark.

CaptOblivious

Mark, just a note to put a smile on your face!

While perusing the bookstand at the Queensland Workshops Rail Museum, and browsing the latest issue of Railway Digest, I saw a familiar face! I about started when I realized it was you (and your friends Ben and Dave), in a blurb about the new "Shooting Through" book.

That was a happy moment, I have to say :D

alpineaustralia

Some photos of my recent afternon at the Tram Museum, Sydney.

Mark - I tried to call you beforehand but the phone just rang out. It was a spur of the moment thing. When I got there I was told you dont do Sundays at the museum.

The last one is of "Madam Butterfly", the nickname given to the Nagasaki tram at the musuem, together with my little boy.

Mark will be able to give far more detail about the tram than I can.

post-29-13569923020885_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923021533_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923022494_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923023031_thumb.jpg

alpineaustralia

From wikipedia:

Sydney, the largest city in Australia, once had the largest tram system in Australia, the second largest in the Commonwealth (after London), and one of the largest in the world. It was extremely intensively worked, with about 1,600 cars in service at any one time at its peak during the 1930s (cf. about 500 trams in Melbourne today). Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, an average of more than one tram journey per day was made by every man and woman, infant and child in the city. Patronage peaked in 1945 at 405 million passenger journeys. The system was in place from 1861 until its winding down in the 1950s and closure in 1961. It had a maximum street mileage of 181 miles (291 km), in 1923.