Nankai 6100 series retired

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Looks like an ex-SEPTA R2 cars painted in MARC colors for my tastes :)

Ah, I had a weird feeling I'd seen those colors before.  Now I know...

We like blue and orange for some odd reason. They tried under the last (MTA's GM) administration to go red and silver butt somehow it all went back to the blue and orange.

Shame as I like those units and I was planning to travel up and down the Nankai Line on those as well. What type of units have replaced these classic's now then?

Mudkip Orange

We like blue and orange for some odd reason. They tried under the last (MTA's GM) administration to go red and silver butt somehow it all went back to the blue and orange.

MARC was just making another vain attempt to be as cool as MUDUKIPU DENTETSU

bikkuri bahn

Shame as I like those units and I was planning to travel up and down the Nankai Line on those as well. What type of units have replaced these classic's now then?

It's not such a big loss, as many of the 6100 series have been converted into the 6300 series, by having their Pioneer bogies swapped out for more conventional Minden type bogies, the carbodies remain the same.  Also, there are the 6200 series still running, quite similar to the now retired Tokyu 8000 series (and built by selfsame firm).  All can be seen on the Takano line, which is where Nankai seems to keep all their stainless steel corrugated stock allocated.  The Nankai main line to Wakayama utilizes somewhat different stock.

Wikipedia Japan article on 6000 series:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%97%E6%B5%B76000%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

CaptOblivious

I was reminded of this thread whilst catching a QR commuter train in Brisbane the other day: I noticed that many of the models passing by also had outriding disc brakes, which really do sort of jump out and grab your eye, if you've never seen them before.