In-train camera

Socimi

Wow I have been subscribing to this youtube user's channel and he made a really interesting video car!

Complete with computations to achieve the desired '130km/h' speed in N scale ~

Coupled with some video editing, it almost looked like a real front view camera!

Amazing Work...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow.

I don't think I've come across that channel before, he has a seriously nice layout, going to have to spend some time with those videos.

That is excellent! I love how he edits the cab view into a mask and puts it over his video.  Great looking layout too. Thanks for sharing!

Hi all,

Here below some info I put together about the Tomix 5591.

Here a pdf version:

Cheers and enjoy!

Nxcale

Tomix 5591 – The TCS Camera-Equipped Train System

Introduction

The Tomix 5591 is basically an in-train camera system which allows experiencing the train driver’s view during a running session. What makes this system different to other systems is that the Tomix 5591 transmits the video signal trough the rails from the train camera back to the video receiver. I was not into the hobby when the Tomix 5591 was released so I can just imagine how big was the reception of this one-of-a-kind item by the Model Railroad Community in and outside of Japan.

Parts

The following items are part of a Tomix 5591 pack:

• Kiha 187-5001 - Camera  (1 unit)
  • Kiha 187-1501 - Motor  (1 unit)
  • Tomix 0425 - WDT61A Driving Truck (2 units)
  • Tomix 0427 - WDT61A(T) Driving Truck (2 units)
  • Tomix 5592 – Image Noise cancellers (2 units)
  • Tomix 0111 – Gap Joiners (4 units) 
  • Set of Manuals

Characteristics

• Camera: 250,000 pixels / C-MOS type
  • Voltage: 12DC Volts
  • Video Output: Video composite –NTCS (only video)

Configuration

As shown in the figure, the basic configuration requires that a Tomix controller to be plug to the video receiver (both – D.C. and TCS cords). Then, a D.C. feeder (Tomix 5534) connects the video receiver with the track.

Testing the Tomix 5591

With the help of a basic oval track set, a Tomix 914092 and a Tomix 91063, the following layout was arranged for this test.

Some info about the following footage:

• The video was taken at night
  • No noise cancellers were installed
  • The track used is approx. two years old
  • The track was not very clean but not very dirty
  • In the middle of the footage the direction is changed to see the reaction of the camera
  • The video was recorded with video capture device

Summary

The Tomix 5591 delivers a video image which is enjoyable regardless its low resolution. The manual provides several tips to improve the video quality with the use of noise cancellers, gap joiners and the secondary D.C. feeder. However, I found that these are not really critical for small layouts (i.e. the video in this article was made without any noise canceller installed). Something else I like is that the camera keeps working while the train is at stop (but it still needs to be powered).  In addition, the system apparently works well with Kato track/turnouts.

On the other hand, some flickering could appear if the wheels and tracks are not really clean which is the same scenario for flickering train lights. I think that the major issues with this item could be its availability and price. As the Tomix 5591 appears to be discontinued, it has become a rare item which is also now reflected on its tag price.

The Tomix 5591 was a quite unique contribution to the Model Railroad Community not just in Japan but around the world. Let’s bear in mind that this item was released more than ten years ago with the technology available by then. So, let’s hope that Tomix is already planning to launch an improve version of this item in the coming years.

Info Bonus - for the people who likes technical stuff

The manual sheet indicates that this system could generate some “ghosting” (i.e. a replica image which is offset and laid over the main image). Ghosting occurs due to unwanted signal reflections and multipath distortion. That is, a replica image is generated after the camera train transmits the main signal which reflects on some parts of the track layout. Then, the video receiver would get both the main and the replica signals which would also travel through multipath tracks (depending of the layout).

To improve the later scenario and others, the manual provides guidance about the use of noise cancellers and other tips as follows:

• Use of noise cancellers, gap joiners and the secondary D.C. feeder: the location of noise cancellers and gape joiners will depend on the type of layout configuration. The video receiving unit also has a secondary D.C. feeder with an incorporate noise canceller.
  • Use of Tomix turnouts/track
  • Keep track and wheels clean – this reduces flickering although this can be also present due to track gaps and turnout blades.

- End-

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 5

Oh wow! We haven't come across a good descriptive review article for sometime now... Thanks for making this! Truly informative!  :)

Someone has posted a wonderful video of the TC-9 + Morse Type S, including installation and modification of the train cars to accommodate the system:

What do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, but TCS track power would work just fine with a filter setup. Essentially the same flicker free filter circuit used for internal lights. (bridge and caps) Maybe throw in a zener+resistor in the middle. Works fine with DCC too and it gets rid of the battery.

Edited by kvp

Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to see comparison between images when using "filtered power" against "internal battery".

Cheers,

There are some rf cameras that are used in drones that transmit HD but they can get bigger and expensive. There are also options in recoding cameras that can get small enough that can record HD as well, but getting one small enough to fit inside a train.

Biggest issues with using these camera systems on model railroads is that most all are based on systems that have a much longer focal range setting on them, not the in close focus and depth of field you need on the layout. Really needs one that has and adjustable focus. Cheaper ones use a pinhole lens which gets you great depth of field but not the best overall picture quality.

The little rf systems camera setup was great (think it's oop now) as it was made by a company that did endoscope cameras so they were use to having good up close focusing and depth of field!

Jeff

I'm liking this Tomix set. https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10429157

It would be fun to make a camera train, but $180 for a three car set with camera isn't a bad price. I actually want to own this train anyway. The three car set without the camera costs $81. 

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/products/tomix-92462-jr-series-e233-3000-suburban-train-3-car-basic-set-a

So the train camera is really just $100. 

My question. Is the camera DC compatible. Will AC power kill it? Is there enough room in there to add a function decoder for the front lights?

From the Tomix product information, it looks like the camera operates from track power. I'm guessing that means that with DCC I'd need a function decoder to give it a DC supply.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5594.html

Anyone have a guestimate for how much it costs to make an equivalent system (all things included).

Edited by gavino200
On 5/17/2016 at 4:13 AM, JR 500系 said:

Someone has posted a wonderful video of the TC-9 + Morse Type S, including installation and modification of the train cars to accommodate the system:

What do you guys think?

This does look like a fun but difficult project. TC-9 is the camera? What's a Morse Type S? Did you happen to price out the hardware?