Time to restart and get myself in gear

Drunkenclam

So after attending some shows and speaking with various people and generally mooching around the web. I stopped my current layout plans,

Although all the track was down and landscaping started. It became clean that in some places it would be impossible to clean the track as large sections were hidden. ALthough I did leave access to get to trains if they derailed or needed assistance, But getting to the track its self. No chance!!!

Also I was really unhappy with the main station. It had 4 main lines running through it with 3 island platforms and 1 one sided platform. Once the pointwork went in. The longest commuter train that would fit was only 6 coaches long. Been spending time using SCARM trying to come up with a new idea, Still using my unitrack and viadust pieces. I needed it safe for a 5 year old to use, I also wanted a viadust station to intersect the main station at 90 degress, rather than just being a high level station running behind the ground level. A bit like at Shibuya So I can run JR and Private trains. Its cetainley not a prototype, Its for fun.

post-3115-0-94826500-1449406467_thumb.jpg

As others have said Unitrack is not great when using track planning software. Even when I copied an example from Kato's website, It didn't line up correctly on SCARM, But I've come up with something I'm almost happy with. Still with the 4 main lines running through, Then a basic overhead loop. So Clam jr can have 6 trains running at once with no risk The only thing I want to adjust is there is no crossover on the viaduct loop. Then add some storage siding in the middle on the left side.

post-3115-0-07211900-1449406620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drunkenclam
  • Like 1

So added some storage tracks and the points to the overhead station, Now planning on what wood to get so I can get on during the Christmas shut down.

post-3115-0-96165300-1450040907_thumb.jpg

post-3115-0-96295800-1450040993_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Guest Closed Account 1

I like this layout.

Yes, one must be able to have access to all points of the track. You can pull track cleaners to keep the track clean but when trains derail just because they will, one needs to recover them.

The layout plan is biased for clockwise travel. One more double crossover in the lower left will allow the train to get to the upper level sooner; going counter clockwise.

If you don't mind the added expense, buy mostly double concrete track and cut them up to fit the turnouts. Its easy and looks nice.

Edited by Webskipper

Good call. Thanks Webskipper

I was thinking about the double concrete track, especially through the station areas, as it helps keep things straight and tidy (plus less ballest to put down)

I did spot one floor in the upper level design, and that is the station area with the points isn't a multipy of 248mm. So I need to add a 124mm section. This pushes it off the base board size shown. But I measured the space I have availble and if I make the board bigger. It still will fit in. 

Counting the platforms up from the bottom. I have 7 platfoms. The bottom 1-3 I can have one colour line running, 1 clockwise, 3 anti clockwise. 2 passing or waiting in either direction.

the same with 4-6 but a different colour line.  4 clockwise, 6 anti clockwise.

Then the top platform 7 I can run small local train from a rural station near the storage sidings to either the upper or ground staion.

Just my luck that last week I was on emergency call and the phone never stopped ringing so no chance to do anything but pick up some timber, Then this week, we have been having electrical trouble and a circuit breaker keeps tripping out, so to help find the fault, we have isolated the power to the out buildings, including where the layout will go, So only limited time a day as no lighting availible. I got a lot of the old layout removed and half the base board, stripped, cut and re assembled, but not fixed in place yet. I'm starting at the top rh corner. working down to the centre station then across as the support for the viaduct station need to sit right in the middle of 2 tracks. 

Rules I tried to keep to, All the point layouts and spacing I took from Kato's own website like the reverse R481-15 to move the track axis by 33mm.

Finished stripping out the old baseboard today, got half the new board in place, Only managed to slice two fingers open, I built the original very well and getting it apart was a nightmare. I hope for good weather tomorrow so I can complete the main structure.

No I haven't fallen asleep in the shed :D

So most of the board is down, all the old unitrack I've taken and washed off the ballast from the previous model except for the double viaduct track. Started laying it out to see what I need.

post-3115-0-21984500-1454866959_thumb.jpg

I needed a few more of the 124mm straight peices, So I ordered up the double track items. Not realizing that the new concrete sleeps stand out a mile against the older wooden sleepers. A result I didn't like. Oh well live and learn

post-3115-0-15590300-1454867023_thumb.jpg

Next error :D where the upper viaduct track goes down from the station in a single line. You can't use a double piece and a single piece to get the 3 tracks coming off the standard width station. So I'm going to have to change the first section to 2 pieces of single track viadust to fit it togther.

post-3115-0-97308500-1454867228_thumb.jpg

Oh well. Life goes on. No major disasters

post-3115-0-43868100-1454867262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drunkenclam

After a disasterous week starting last Saturday when the exhaust broke on the car, followed by almost getting knocked out at work on Monday (head still hurts now) I managed to get what track I have down and made a list of any missing parts. Mostly points but I do need some 381-30 curves. Plus the double viaduct at the back.

Yes I know there is a gap in the baseboard :D Next is to work out my track wiring and see if I'll get and shorts through the points.

post-3115-0-57562600-1456694152_thumb.jpg

post-3115-0-65907500-1456694172_thumb.jpg

followed by almost getting knocked out at work on Monday (head still hurts now)  

[

Now this is why you don't mention you are a Model Railroader to your work mates! Lol!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope you got yourself checked out by a doctor

Drunkenclam

I don't think my spare budget this month can afford all the track in one hit. So will get all the stuff to complete the rear section and the missing curves.

Drunkenclam

Update time.

Despite Mrs Clam trying her hardest to give me other tasks this week end and Royal Mail trying it hardest to not forward me my stuff here is a progress report.

Although it make seem like a step back :D

So I modified a section of double track and single track viaduct and merged them into one solid piece followed by a light coating of white spray paint. Thats now in place and looks a lot better than just the stock track. Just need to put a little infill in the corner.

post-3115-0-44143800-1463947941_thumb.jpg

I fitted into place the 2 sections of base board with the flying track and started putting the viaduct back in with all the supports (I am 6 short at the moment) and putting the supports for the catenary poles.

post-3115-0-11948600-1463947980_thumb.jpg

post-3115-0-69603300-1463948025_thumb.jpg

post-3115-0-58554400-1463948048_thumb.jpg

So next I need to order a more pack of viaduct supports. Although it would be helpful if I can get new old stock of the original version which comes with the narrower cantenary pole supports. Not the newer one with the supports out side the viaduct walls. I think I have enough of the original type. But fingers crossed.

Edited by Drunkenclam
  • Like 6
Eurostar25

Looking really good, I especially like the multiple tracks with the viaduct station situated above, that'll look really good with multiple units running underneath

• Like 1
Drunkenclam

Here's a minor query.

On the single viaduct sections going up to the station. Would it be more correct to have the centenary poles on the outside of the curves or the inside. Or is it a case of what ever looks best.

On curves catenary masts are almost always placed on the outside of the track, so that will be the best option if you're going with a prototypical look.

Edited by Densha
Drunkenclam

Managed to do a little bit more, But Mrs Clam seems to be keeping me busy, despite all my complaints.

The station area has had some modernization and the old rotting wooden sleepers have been replaced with the concrete versions.

post-3115-0-83186500-1467142411_thumb.jpg

Where the lower level platform canopys meet the over head station. Looks like I'm going to have to do a little cutting to fill in the gap. I'd rather they butted up to the viaduct station.

post-3115-0-25209200-1467142664_thumb.jpg

You can see now why I want that extra bit of walkway to finish the station off, Before I take it all up and put leds in it :D

post-3115-0-32685300-1467142539_thumb.jpg

My wire has arrived from the ebay seller, so I can complete the wiring for the two viaduct tracks. (one day)

• Like 6
Drunkenclam

I had some bridges left over from a previous layout. So I have started to put in a river.

serotta1972

That's a very impressive station area you made there. I hope you're able to find or make that missing piece. I look forward to seeing the many different trains sitting at the station.

You could either (razor) saw up one section of formed roofing, or build something cantilevered off the overhead station.

• Like 1