Stunning Work

Wow, great videos, would be wonderful to know what he is saying, but the visuals alone are great to watch and learn!

Jeff

Todd,

Looks like air dry modeling clay. You can soften it with water like he did and it drys hard in a day or two.

Also looks like he may be using PVC foam board for his scratch build. I just got some 1 and 2 mm thick stock of a brand of this stuff that is sposta be very easy to cut with a blade.

Jeff

Bernard may chime in here, he did street track like this with plaster and it was a super mess to get the flange way cleaned out well...

Air dry clay is a lot softer when hardened than plaster!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Very cool sequence of the coming together of a great little diorama. Good use of commercially available kits, kitbashing and scratchbuilding. It looks like a very personal project from the builder who has tried to recreate a scene he remembers from his childhood from where he grew up.

The clay used is 石粉粘土 (Sekifun Nendo), or stone dust/powder clay and can be bought everywhere in small packages in 100 yen shops.

Amazing... Truly amazing...

It seems like he is having fun doing it too! Look at his excitement after finishing the custom made tram!

Greenmax seems to be the sponsor here perhaps? A lot of its kits were used...

Wonder how much he sold the 'Nostalgic box' for....  :) 

Yeah the stone dust clay is the nicer of what is called air dried clays here. Simpler ones for kids are more like play dough but not fine surfaces. I think the fine stone dust clays would probably give a nice scale texture for road surface if it was painted with thin washes and not globed with paint. But scale texture you could only notice with very close viewing or photos!

Jeff

The clay used is 石粉粘土 (Sekifun Nendo), or stone dust/powder clay and can be bought everywhere in small packages in 100 yen shops.

Thanks for that Toni!

Todd

Great series, as soon as I saw Akihiro's name I knew it was going to be good :) There is another of his discussed here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7650-outstanding-ho-scale-modeling-by-akihiro-morohoshi-how-to/

Seems like Das would achieve the same sort of effect as the clay he used? I've used it for filling in between tracks before, again smoothed down with a little water. Works really well, and easy to scribe afterwards to look like cobbles.

Of course now I want to make a diorama like this... :)

The clay he used is pretty much like das I think, basic air hardening clay. There are a range of these, but essentially the same.

Jeff