My CRH380A (China Railways), based on a … ADDED VIDEO

FastFranz

Ciao,

After a long break (time runs differently in Africa) here I am again … 

Surfing the net I noticed the remarkable resemblance between the ICE III (DB) and the CRH380A (china Railways). Siemens train were used as “test train” when China approached the High Speed train (same has been, as far as I know, with Bombardier and Kawasaki units, but may be I’m wrong at this regard). Namely first CRH380A prototype differed from the German ones because of colour(s) and marking(s).

Having at hand a (3 units, extremely cheap) ICE III by Minitrix I decided to look after the matter. :sign5:

A friend of mine (Giacomo S. countless thanks to him) prepared the logo drawings while Max Model (www.maxmodel.it) realized the “real” sheet of decals. Eventually another friend took them in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) where, now, I live.

All I needed – beyond stuffs I took from Italy – were, then, a white spray can, a transparent spray can and a really “soft” grinding paper. The first two I got in a shop selling building materials (!!!) while another friend donated me ONE sheet (cm 20x30) of grinding paper as it it was the most precious treasure (only after that I discovered that to get such a sotf “grain” he needs to shop in Germany).

Being – in the end – aware that a humidity rate possibly >90% won’t help the paints I begun my attempt. :sign5:

1. Removing original paint and (DB) markings
  2. Sand papering the three coaches
  3. Spray painting – white - the same three unit (the paint sold as glossy turned out as matt)
    1. Allowing it to dry, A LOT!
  4. Applying the decals
    1. One by one and proceding further only when the previous one proved to be dry, A LOT!
  5. Spray painting – transparent – the whole train (also in this case the paint sold as glossy turned out as matt)
    1. Allowing it to dry, A LOT!
  6.  Test run (engine unit first, complete set then; forward and reverse).

In the end, I will mention things that differs from the “real” (compromises I had to accept). A too strong (a bit too strong) satin look because of the bad quality paints available here and – way most serious – the windows of the central unit differs a bit from reality (but due to the lack of proper tools I decided of not be too fussy and leave them as they were).

In the end I'm satisfied with what I, eventually, got!!! Then … ;)

BINGO!!! HERE WE GO … SEE PICS. A SMALL "DYNAMIC" VIDEOCLIP WILL FOLLOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Francesco

PS: if anyone is interested in a file (pdf) containing the actual decal layout then  … simply drop me a line!

post-2923-0-06554800-1449247977_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-17166500-1449247990_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-01419800-1449248003_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-43549000-1449248015_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-85179700-1449248022_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-26871200-1449248032_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-99419700-1449248041_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-64489600-1449248051_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-19784200-1449248061_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-45421500-1449248072_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-73414600-1449248080_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-99863000-1449248092_thumb.jpg

Edited by FastFranz
  • Like 9

Hey, nicely kit-bashed model, especially when no-one has done a working N-scale CRH as ready to run!

But, as a rail fan living in China, I would like to point out that what you have made there is actually a CRH-3, which is the version of the Siemens Velaro produced for China, which you correctly stated is based on DB's ICE-3.

The CRH-380A, though, is a different train..... It's actually a hybrid of European and Asian HST technology with a maximum cruising speed of 380 km/h.

This picture is a CRH-380A. China runs a large variety of different CRH classes, some directly based on imports, others are modified or "kitbashed" to suit the needs of the high speed lines!

Ewanpost-2625-0-57206900-1450444377_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Glad to learn something more! As You, correctly, say lot of CRH runs in China ... then being not so much into those train I grabbed info here' there and what shown is what i managed to get (also considering that Africa - where I happen to live now - is not the "homeland" of train modelling). At any rate building it has been fun ... A LOT!

THX again for Your input! ;)

Francesco

Wow! Amazing work Francesco! Thanks for sharing!

Amazing work on that kitbash model! Looks great! The layout is nice too, and the Japanese music is a nice touch ~

Yes, it is a nice model, Francesco! Especially as you are in Africa, and N-scale is not a very commonly used scale to model Chinese trains! N-scale Chinese trains are usually intended for display only.

Case in point: Bachmann does do a static CRH-3, but it comes bolted inside a perspex tube and mounted on a heavy base as a display model.

I know at least one Japanese modeler has done a CRH-2 based on the Kato E2-1000. He posted it on www.diotown.com.

http://www.diotown.com/creative/2011/05/china-express-crh2-type.html

Ciao,

... a static CRH-3, but it comes bolted inside a perspex tube and mounted on ...

Where it can be seen? No chance to pick-it out from the "cage" ... ;)

Francesco

Heheh, it is inside a clear plastic tube. To get the model out, you'd have to take the mounting and 'cage' apart, then unbolt each bogie of the train. I bought one at the CRH Pavilion at the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai.

Ewan

Yes, it is a nice model, Francesco! Especially as you are in Africa, and N-scale is not a very commonly used scale to model Chinese trains! N-scale Chinese trains are usually intended for display only.

Case in point: Bachmann does do a static CRH-3, but it comes bolted inside a perspex tube and mounted on a heavy base as a display model.

I know at least one Japanese modeler has done a CRH-2 based on the Kato E2-1000. He posted it on www.diotown.com.

http://www.diotown.com/creative/2011/05/china-express-crh2-type.html

Yeah, that's it.  I like the shape of the E2 but don't like the livery - the CRH-2 looks much nicer.

Ciao, 

... has done a CRH-2 based on the Kato E2-1000 ...

Frankly? I do not know (and I think NOT) if I'll never risk a Kato Shinkansen in such a "risky" business. Kato sets are (in Italy, forget Africa!) expensive and hard to get, beautiful to look at and  - last but not least - are fine runners (already "off shelf"). My attempt ik realizing a kitbashed CRH380-3 took place with a cheap "basic" set that - thus - looked to me worth risking. All the same may be I'm wrong.

I'd like having a TVG "La Poste", from years but then ... no way with Kato - see above - and the (four cars set) the old Lima option (personal experience, I have it!) puzzles me a lot: all in all it's not doing bad but is, eeeeerrr ... SLOW, TOO SLOW!!!

LaposteV02.jpg

Francesco

PS: of course compared - and I think is not 100% correct! - to ... "today's models"!!! ;)

Edited by FastFranz

I can understand why you wouldn't want to bash a KATO or TOMIX model around, but if you really want a CRH-2, it's the only way to get it! My biggest problem with that is what to do with the 2 extra cars? A CRH-2 only has 8 cars, so you'd have a spare Green Car and Standard trailer left over....

Here is my static CRH-3 from Bachmann. As I said, I bought it at the CRH Pavilion of the 2010 Shanghai World Expo.

post-2625-0-64653500-1451053845_thumb.jpgpost-2625-0-08914300-1451053990_thumb.jpg

The Chinese label reads: CRH-3 "Hexiehao (Harmony)" 350km/h EMU.

Ciao,

Here is my static CRH-3 from Bachmann. As I said, I bought it at the CRH Pavilion of the 2010 Shanghai World Expo.

Interesting! Chances are - looking at them - those "bodies" will fit on Minitrix (or alike) chassis but - regrettably - I happen to live in Africa NOT China ... LLLOOOLLL!!!

Francesco

Ciao

I can understand why you wouldn't want to bash a KATO or TOMIX ...

It's not (only) the problem of what You want to get is the "bravery" to touch a Kato/Tomix train, if - by anyy chance - something goes wrong ... May be - if and ever I get it at a reasonable price - I'll make a further attempt with a Lima (four elements) train ...

Francesco

Well, the real CRH-3 is an 8-car set.... Which is what I would go for! All of my J-trains, except my 489 Series "Noto" are the full scale length....

Ciao,

Plan is to add at least one/two/three pieces, it depemds on a) finding them b) left decal ... ;)

Francesco