Photos from Greenberg show - Wilmington, MA

velotrain

I hadn't been to a train show for a while, so took a multi-modal trip Sunday.  I rode my bike to North Station, took MBTA commuter rail to Wilmington, and then biked 3 more miles to the show, stayed a couple of hours, then reversed the process.  While waiting on the Wilmington platform for my train back to Boston, I saw the Amtrak Downeaster pass by on a connecting track.

A well-lit and very full garage

gallery_941_135_62918.jpg

NTrak Amtrak Florida AutoTrain

It looks like the guy forgot to bring his rerailer - or more likely he's just gotten lazy over the years.  Actually - I wondered if that whole NTrak club has gotten slack, as I didn't detect much enthusiasm.  I was considering building a module (see recent AnyRail post), but maybe a small, stand-alone layout is more my style.

gallery_941_135_136635.jpg

By far the most impressive part of the NTrak layout - two six-foot long modules by a guy who really likes his bridges.  We chatted for a while, and he said each module weighed 90 pounds, and he needed help tilting them up to get onto the two-wheeler, and then into his van.  I think he had 3-4 lines running besides the mains.  He also had a switchback up to the mountain division, but wasn't using it as there were no other modules with mountain division track.  It was a bit over the top, but very well done, and certainly got lots of attention.

gallery_941_135_30433.jpg

gallery_941_135_122475.jpg

gallery_941_135_69415.jpg

gallery_941_135_71285.jpg

The Euro-station - say, isn't that a Japanese park down there?

gallery_941_135_153087.jpg

The T-Trak display, with all the modules by one guy.  I pointed out that his destroyer was listing to starboard, but he said that was only because the tide was out and the keel was on the bottom.  All the modules were boringly flat, and it tended to dampen my enthusiasm for the concept.  I also don't like looking down at stuff sitting so low.

gallery_941_135_43330.jpg

An interesting small layout representing B&M, with trains running on three levels.  I asked the guy if the size was 30" x 6', and he said "good guess"; I didn't bother saying it wasn't really a guess.  You usually see a few solo older guys at every show, who bring a small layout just to entertain folks and keep themselves in the game.

gallery_941_135_149999.jpg

gallery_941_135_119740.jpg

About 10-15% of the vendors had non-train stuff.  Typical Sunday afternoon at a train show - everyone looks like they're just hanging in there for another hour or two before they can start tearing down.  I may not go to any more shows - they seem more sad than anything else.  A lot of guys / couples sitting at tables looking forlorn - perhaps partly because there are no customers in sight.  Seemingly endless rows of vendors selling the same old stuff.  There were a couple selling tools, but none with the scratchbuilding supplies that I was looking for.

I imagine that I would enjoy shows in the UK more, with the greater variety of exhibition layouts.  Certainly the European NG shows, including the big one outside Paris earlier in November.  The Springfield (Big E) show is better, but then there are other things to deal with there - such as huge lines and potential snowstorms.

• Like 2

Charles,

To be fair the Greenberg and more general regular shows are not big, grand events, but more practical small events, bit more like a swap meet. Usually local clubs and vendors. It's a very hard business to run and the Internet has really taken a big chunk out of the vendor side. Greenberg does let a lot more toy stuff in than the other circuit we have in this area does, I think to have something there cheap for smaller kids to get a toy at the show, probably a good thing.

If you want the uber precision displays you will need to go to an nmra convention or regional show as they are much more into things bein as you like it. Won't be as big though usually for regional shows.

Clubs have fun with what they do and the public enjoys the layouts, even if not perfect. Good for the hobby to have someone out there keeping model trains alive in the public eye. It takes A LOT of time and energy and money to do these shows as a club for the public, and most Modelers never get into it, but it's super important to do to keep the hobby alive.

If none of the club offerings appeal to you how about rolling your own small show layout? Something unique does not have to be large to make a big impact on folks. Most of the shows love smaller layouts as they can be fit into a smaller space and you get into the center of things for more eyeballs. Also opens you up to doing more non traditional things like a Saturday at the library! The JRM layout is just small enough to fit in a standard isle at the GSMT shows so we get put in the center of the show. Vendors like that folks stop for a spell at the layout as they may take more time at their table and they get a refresh from vendor table max out.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 5