Power Chassis identification

Lawrence

Guys, I need to ask for your assistance again in identifying the correct power chassis.

I have a Tomix 92062 JR DC Series Kiha58 4 car set, nothing I have done makes the power chassis run better so I will cut my losses and get a new one, if someone can identify it for me.  None of the numbers in the leaflet parts list relate to the chassis so I am stuck!

Actually there is also, on page 2 of the leaflet, a picture showing what appears to be a frame for a flexible gangway, but I can find no number for this either.

Anyone have any idea if flexible interconnecting gangways are available for Japanese stock?  Just an aside really, need to get this new chassis sorted first.

Thanks in advance

post-193-0-36510800-1447510021_thumb.jpg

1. Search in 1999.co.jp/eng "Tomix chassis", and see if you got some good lucks. But don't your train box contains the part numbers? It's also can be found in Tomix catalog.

2. About flexible gangway, I saw one on YT a while ago, it seems to be from a small company, I'll look it later.

Ah, here we go

but it still had troubles.. Edited by HantuBlauLOL

Wow did he yabber on!

He seemed to dislike the loose end connection. Just split the diaphragm in 2 and use a pair of 2x1mm rare earth magnets to hold them together.

I had some accordion diaphragms like this when I was a kid for my sp daylight cars and they used one in each car and one had an insert that fit into the other to hold them together pretty well. Use 2 of the magnets and you could wiremthentrainnfor all wheel pickup!

Been thinking it would be nice to have diaphragms lately.

Jeff

I have emailed the guys at hobbysearch to see if they can help, I did email plaza but they just said they didn't have one, without telling what the 'one' was :icon_scratch:

Lawrence,

A few questions. Based on a few words you stated (cut my losses) and the search for the gangway one could reason that it one of those coin toss buys(could be good or ahhhh man!!). Some core components are not available and I think Kato is one of a few companies that part out units for purchase parts.

In any case what is happening with or what is the power car doing. It might be worth it to post a close up picture of the chassis or a video of what it is doing. Sometimes people will go into the units and not put them back together correctly and sell it for that reason. Its worth a look see.

Inobu  

It just runs so intermittently Inobu, stalling on straights, on curves, sometimes just stopping.  Everything has been stripped out and cleaned, contacts checked, back to backs look good too.

Just a bag of spanners really!

Have you checked the motor alone? If that is ok and runs fine outside the car, then you can check the contacts if there is a pickup problem. If you add a small bicolor led (with a resistor) to the motor car (to the main pickup strips), then you can see if the pickups are bad or the motor. If the led stays lit when the car stops, then the motor is the problem. It can be something simple and hard to notice, like a contact problem between the motor and the power conducting strips. If everything above is ok, and the motor tries to move, then it can be a bent or damaged mechanical part that binds or slows down the transmission chain...

ps: i think it might be easier to source a single part than a whole chassis

Lawrence,

I think your problem may a simple one. I would try swapping the orientation of the components. Most of the time the front of the unit is designated be an arrow. Although the parts looks the same they may be skewed enough to cause intermittent issues.

The problem may be a tab that is not catching allowing the motor to shift or the contact springs may be moving around. Try running the motor car without the seat in place and jumper the spring pickup to the motor spring pickup.

That way you can see what is going on. I'm not sure what the chassis looks like.  it appears to have a long wheelbase so it may look like this.

tomix-nex3.jpg

Try running it like this so you can see what it causing it to stop.

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Thanks Inobu I will give it a go, unfortunately I am working away from home next week so will have to look at it the following weekend.  Although, I have never removed the motor, only the drive mechanisms.  There is what, I am assuming, a smoothing capacitor pushed into contacts at the back of the motor.  Perhaps it is a bad connection or the capacitor is breaking down :sad1:

HantuBlaul - Nariichi or Dave - sorry I don't know who you are referring to :icon_scratch:

Thanks Inobu I will give it a go, unfortunately I am working away from home next week so will have to look at it the following weekend.  Although, I have never removed the motor, only the drive mechanisms.  There is what, I am assuming, a smoothing capacitor pushed into contacts at the back of the motor.  Perhaps it is a bad connection or the capacitor is breaking down :sad1:

HantuBlaul - Nariichi or Dave - sorry I don't know who you are referring to :icon_scratch:

I would agree. That has a high probability of being your trouble.

Inobu

I would agree. That has a high probability of being your trouble.

Inobu

So either solder the capacitor in place and/or replace it with a new one if I can identify it lol.

Time will tell

Put a 9V battery on those 2 middle springs and see if it spins the motor.

I have a different chassis to that one, with two contacts bent up from the chassis but similar concept

KVP - thanks for that, appreciate it

Lawrence,

I think your problem may a simple one. I would try swapping the orientation of the components. Most of the time the front of the unit is designated be an arrow. Although the parts looks the same they may be skewed enough to cause intermittent issues.

The problem may be a tab that is not catching allowing the motor to shift or the contact springs may be moving around. Try running the motor car without the seat in place and jumper the spring pickup to the motor spring pickup.

That way you can see what is going on. I'm not sure what the chassis looks like.  it appears to have a long wheelbase so it may look like this.

tomix-nex3.jpg

Try running it like this so you can see what it causing it to stop.

Inobu

You can't run that.

You can't run that.

The direction stated to jumper the pick up springs with the motor springs. That way you can make an decent observation. Depending on the chassis type you may need to tape components down to prevent those components from shifting under torque. Lawrence stated that the unit runs intermittently. This means all components are functional at one given moment.

So either there is

• A loss of power from a contact point- (bad solder - loose connection)
  1. track---pickup spring
  2. pickup board to pickup spring
  3. pickup spring to motor capacitor
  4. capacitor to motor
  • Loss of drive train power -
  1. gear shift or movement
  2. motor movement
  • Component failure -
  1. capacitor faulty.  

Fundamentals of troubleshooting.

Problem Observation - breaking the unit down in the prescribed manner allows for observation.

Problem Duplication - placing the unit on the track allows for the unit to function in its natural operation

Problem Resolution - is achieved by remedying the observed and duplicated problem

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1