Japanese railway signals - quotes needed

Melandir

Hi all,

Does any of you have blueprint with quotes of Japanese railway signals or do you know were I can find them?

I need only the standard ones from 2 up to 6 lights to start, do you also know the japanese word to search for more images in english there is limited choice of view, especially of back views

my goal is to replicate them if possible

Thanks

post-2159-0-44551100-1446114598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melandir

Thanks Kvp,

how signal works it's currently out of my scope (I'll study it later), what I need now are the quotes of the signal to create a scale model of it, and if possible from some of our fellow forum members that leave in Japan if they can take pictures of the back and side of the signal, there are many picture of the signal front, but almost none of the signal back, that I need to see if I want to model it

Cross section image from one of the manufacturers:

StationModal01.png

Essentially they are black boxes with a black oval plate mounted on the front. They are usually mounted to whatever pole the location allows. The second link above gives you a few back views of the N scale models of the common JNR pole type. I can't seem to find official drawings though...

Another link i found on the net (with google, sadly i don't understand japanese):

http://yazaemon23.blog45.fc2.com/blog-entry-721.html

Btw. what do you plan to build with the home made signals? (other people might be interested in them too)

thanks Kvp the last link you have provided was perfect,

what I'd like to build are the 2-3-4-5-6 light signals in kit to be built (brass and other materials) like the one you have provided in the image

it looks simple enough to be my first trial with photogravure technique

but I need the dimensions to be able to scale it down to 1:150

the signals are required to respect a standard, but due to my lack of japanese language skill it's impossible for me to find it

If you have a few names and links of manufacturer, I can try to ask them if they can provide me the exact signals dimensions to be able to reproduce it

Hello,

You really only need 3 and 4 aspect for modelling.  2 aspect is fine for most branch lines.  5 aspect is for long version of "distant" marker signal.  On a model layout you would not encounter.  Most likely used for an express service.  6 aspect was installed in subway, but I believe that most has been replaced by in-cab signalling.  If you want to look decidedly Japanese I recommend 4 aspect on your main line in urban areas, 3 aspect in rural areas, and 2 aspect on branch lines and spurs.

• Like 1

Melandir,

If you are going to build kits. I would suggest buying an existing signal and taking it apart. The thing you want to avoid is designing into a problem that requires rework or redesign.

By taking the signal apart you can see how and reason why the manufacture designed the signal the way they did. As you disassemble the part you can divide it into systems and components and rebuild it they way you want too. The reverse engineering process. Electronics, housing and mounts.

I chose Digitrax as my DCC equipment based on their product offering. Although their systems is some what convoluted their offering surpasses most.

This is their signal mast that you can break off and solder lights to the PCB terminals below it. 

SMBK_jpg_350x900_q85.jpg

This is how the PCB looks.

10oinfront.JPG

Eventually you want to get here only JR version ( here is the blog http://waynes-trains.com/site/Signals/OtherSignalStuff/ModularSignalMounting.html)

Double_back-on_mount.jpg

I'm passing on this information to help you succeed in your undertaking. One of the issue I ran into was

time and results. Some times these projects take so long that we lose interest. The reason being is we see no results in an allotted time or the results are slow coming.

(The faster you can see flashing light the better off you will be.)

The lights require logic in order to drive them which is another task in itself. My logic behind using Digitrax is that they are my backup. If my project starts to die off (interest)

I can continue on by purchasing what ever it is and keep going without having wasted time and effort.

So if anything get the mast and start with the leds. Create your prototype and work on the basic operation.  This  # Instruction sheet has all the basic info you need. 

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Thanks inobu, that is not a big issue, I have some small experience now in PCB design and I'm able to create a similard board for DCC,

I'm just trying to reproduce the signal on exact scale that's why I need a typical sygnal with as much quotes as possible... to be able to shrink it and reproduce it with photogravure technique

One of the problem you will run into is in the scaling. You will be able to create the facing to scale but the problem will be in getting the electronics to fit. That is why the existing signals look some what skewed. 

Using brass provides the sturdiness in respects to getting the face but tying in the components becomes a problem. That is why ladders and pole look far off in N scale. The material is too fragile and requires larger diameter supports. Brass is used but ends up being 2.5D instead of 3D.

It is a pain in the neck trying to get things to look right.

Inobu

I can try Inobu,

but if a fellow modeller has been able to do it for an Italian signal in 1:160 I think I can at least try the same for a Japanese signal in 1:150

I'm already in contact with him and hes is available to support me on this creation, but I first need to know the exact quotes :(

here you can see his work on the Italian signal

http://www.amiciscalan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5980

Vai Vai......... Non mi dico niente adesso. LOL.

Spettacolo non e basta

Inobu

I should translate.

After looking at the blog I told Melandir, Go Go !  I'm not going to say anything now, Spectacular is enough to express the guys work. 

Edited by inobu