113/115 Front/Face Design - What other trains have it?

serotta1972

That is cheap but already got the Tomix counterpart.  Thanks for looking out.  

Hello,

You will find the Kato version has different running numbers and, it is likely, subtle differences between car numbers may be reflected in the model.

Another question, this time about the 455 Series "Green Liner".

I can only find videos of these running in three or six car sets. Did they ever do anything odd like borrowing SaHaShi 455s for a railtour/excursion, or running with 457 Series in the old JNR red/cream livery?

I ask as I've noticed the Kato 10-189 can be found surprisingly cheaply in some places...

I've now ordered a 457 Series basic set and a SaHaShi 455, might add the 457 Series add-on in a few weeks if it's still in stock. SaRo 455s seem to have disappeared, at least in green stripe form or at a low enough price that I'd accept one without said stripe. The one ebay seller claiming to have them for £5 or so has previous form for advertising stuff they don't have and can't get, so I won't be ordering from them.

Edited by Welshbloke
  • Like 1

I applaud you Mr. Welshbloke for putting together prototypically correct consists.  I just ordered the 455 Series "Green Liner" and yes it is cheap as it's a fairly old model but still nice.  Right now I'm just trying to get my hands on any Tokai Type Trains with different liveries.  I will definitely double up on some such as the Shonan Color and Nagano Area as they seem to be very common among the different Tokai Type Trains.  I see that you ordered a 457 Series set, I was going to recommend the Tomix as it's a much newer model compared to the Kato.  I'm very partial to Kato but for the Tokai Type Trains, I found Tomix to have the better offerings as they are much newer and most of them are the HG models with close coupling although a little more expensive.  My next purchase will be the Kato 165 Series and will patiently wait for the Kato 153 Series.  

One easy mod to do on the older models: Fit tightlock couplers.

If you order Kato 11-703 (there's an alternate number for the same thing in grey) then the contents are a straight clip-in swap for the Rapidos. I've equipped a few items with them so far (117 Series and my two Kokuden 103 Series) and they make a very noticeable improvement. You'll also need them if you want to run the 165 Series formations from the Kato site, as for some weird reason the add-on set is delivered with Rapidos on the cab ends. Fine if you want to run a six car (2 x 3 car) set, but not much use when you're trying to build the longer sets with two SaRos and a SaHaShi.

I'm guessing it's similar to German enthusiasts who named the pre-production batch of Br.216s "Lollo". Like a certain actress of the era they had a protruding rounded front...

The V160 was called "Lollo" because of an Italian actress of the '60s, Gina Lollobrigda. Wich exactly had that...

xx9yz.jpg

Edited by DavideTreni

Speaking of the Tōkai-style EMU's, I really wonder now will JR West purge all of their 115's based in Hiroshima and Shimonseki and replace them all with 227's? In short, all the commuter EMU's operating from Shimonoseki Station in the west to as far east as Himeji on the San'yō Main Line and Banshū-Akō Station on the Akō Line? Speaking of which, has JR West mentioned when will we see the first 323 Series EMU intended for the Osaka Loop Line?

Edited by Sacto1985
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Speaking of the Tōkai-style EMU's, I really wonder now will JR West purge all of their 115's based in Hiroshima and Shimonseki and replace them all with 227's? In short, all the commuter EMU's operating from Shimonoseki Station in the west to as far east as Himeji on the San'yō Main Line and Banshū-Akō Station on the Akō Line? Speaking of which, has JR West mentioned when will we see the first 323 Series EMU intended for the Osaka Loop Line?

For Hiroshima division - yes, they would be completely replaced with 227 series (though the first one would be those around Hiroshima city)

For Okayama division - currently there are no plans to replacing all of Okayama depot's 115 series trains with newer models

I think JR West Okayama depot's 115's could start heading for the scrapyard by 2020 because they are starting to get way up there in age and even with spare parts from other retired 115's, the cost of maintenance is not going down. That's why keep an eye on possible additional orders for the 227, which may finally purge every 115 between Fukuyama and Himeji.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

That's why keep an eye on possible additional orders for the 227, which may finally purge every 115 between Fukuyama and Himeji.

Hope it would sport the different color scheme (at the cost of having the beloved "末期色" paintscheme would be completely annihilated  :grin )

I think most 113's and 115's are headed for the scrapyard over the next five years anyway, not only from the sheer age of the trainsets, but also their inefficient use of power compared to modern trainsets. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, that the 113/115's now running all-stops service on the JR West Kusatsu and Kosei Lines are eventually by more modern EMU's.