High speed rail in Australia

Oz_Paul

There's nothing strange about bypassing Canberra. No-one with any sense wants to go there. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There's nothing strange about bypassing Canberra. No-one with any sense wants to go there. :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Hehehe, even the motorways don't serve it directly.... it's not on the M31 Hume Highway, but rather at the bottom end of the M23 and A25 "spurs"....

Ewan

Takahama Trainwatcher

Cheers,

Mark.

No international flights service it... so no customs or quarantine based there. After all, it's only the nation's capital.

Takahama Trainwatcher

Years ago I subscribed to Railway Digest magazine. They were always on about the Inland Rail Expressway (freight) idea (this does not seem to be it, but a cheaper Band-Aid); it hasn't come to fruition as of yet and can be filed away with the Australian VFT (Very Fast Train) proposals and other high speed ideas. Australian rail development is perpetually disappointing - a freight line paralleling suburban tracks through part of Sydney or a flyover in the Hunter Valley constitute major news. The Victorian Regional Fast Rail project was famous for "improving flexibility" on the Bendigo line by ripping up one of the two tracks and forcing single track running.

I thought I stopped reading Railway Digest to save myself money and time, but maybe the whole thing was - taken over a longer timeframe - just depressing. I'm so glad I've discovered the railways of Japan.

The article is talking about population growth and influx into the cities. The grpwth rate is 1.5% and there is no mass movement. Also imho australian cities are as suburban as you get. The 1960ies japanese demographics just dont work for Australia right now. At least not without short term mass immigration. Imho this is why new shinksnsen projects don't really work economically even in Japan.

ps: realistic high speed rail idea for Australia: a strong and fast locomotive and a comfortable push pull set, like a railjet rake with a hercules locomotive (it's a diesel siemens sprinter) that can run on any standard gauge line and can be made in a hybrid version

Without some major infrastructure project like this we run the risk of getting even more urban/suburban.

This continues to be in the news and hopefully this will get somewhere.

A good article today (would love to travel Canberra to Sydney in 64 minutes although final completion is slated for 2065!)

New push for Australia to adopt high-speed rail

final completion is slated for 2065!

Which is why it will never happen.  Our politicians can't see past the next election.

bikkuri bahn

There is the problem with nations who run their government according to common law- everything is subject to court interpretation and controversial issues can be tied up in courts (or subject to the whims of politicians).  It goes against the steady, long-term commitment necessary for mega-size infrastructure projects. This may be partly why nations in Europe and Japan, who use civil law, tend to have better rail infrastructure than their common law counterparts.

Takahama Trainwatcher

Another brain fart from our sleek and sleazy PM. High speed rail will never be built in Australia.

Mark.

• Like 1

What a surprise.

No, just joking. The wanker of Wentworth says one thing one day, and another member of what we humourously describe as our government says another thing the next.

No high-speed railway will ever be built in Australia.

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

FWIW (again):

After years of talk about a very-fast train between Sydney and Melbourne investors are starting to put their money where their mouth is.

A consortium of international and local investors, including General Electric, Japan Rail Central and Mitsui have already purchased more than 37,000 hectares of land between Sydney and Melbourne with a view to fast-tracking the development of a high-speed rail link between the two capitals and the subsequent construction of no less than eight new, purpose-built mini-'cities'.

It's all happening under the auspices of a local company called Consolidated Land and Rail Australia (CLARA).

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/general-electric-japan-rail-and-mitsui-all-aboard-highspeed-rail-proposal-20160512-gotq5d

• Like 1
Takahama Trainwatcher

Revolutionary - "value capture".

Surely it will be worth the wait, with "the world’s most advanced high speed rail". Quite possible if the rest of the world are using magnetic levitation by the time we lay the rails.

Talking of big calls, Channel 7 tonight have "The World's Best Metro" on at 8 pm. I believe it is about the Sydney Metro.

• Like 1

Wow.

They've got a promotional video that includes every visual and spoken cliche known to advertising, a board that includes such "luminaries" as failed former Victorian politician Steve Bracks, corrupt former politician Barry O’Farrell and gimlet-eyed hard-right ideologue Andrew Robb, and they've got the temporary PM Malcolm Turnbull - the smartest bloke in the room - on side.

I'm convinced.

Not.

Mark.