Kato's Overhead Transit Station

enodenlover

I'm planning on ordering the Overhead Transit Station from Hobby Search but I'm not sure what platforms to order with it. Kato makes numerous car door-level platforms for the Unitrack system, and I find them all a bit confusing. I need a two track island platform that will accomodate a four car commuter/rapid transit train. What should I be ordering? Thanks.

Well, to begin with, Kato basically makes two types of overhead stations and corresponding platforms: an older green model and a newer more modern reddish one.

As for the older green-roofed overhead station (Kato 23-200), you can for example use the Kato 20-806 island platform set, but there are several other platforms in this style available as well.

Ken has some info on his website on the newer reddish one, including which platforms to use. Here's the link: http://sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/OverheadTransitStation/

I think you need the Kato 23-120 island platform set for the red-roofed station. So far I was able to figure out, the total length of this set is about 64 cm long.

Edited by Densha

depends on your track setup.  different platforms are designed for different layout configuations.  single track? double track?

23-122 + 23-120 this would work if you use 2 R481-15 in a "S" to to be the centre line distance from 33 to 66mm for double track.

-or-

23-200 + 20-806 this would work if you have single track and use R718-15 points to make it double at the station.

I'm guessing you mean the 23-122 set?

The best match would be the 23-120 Island Platform Set, and the V15 track set. These two are designed to work together. I think you can now buy 248mm straights with concrete sleepers to match the set and allow you to lengthen the platforms. You can use a turnout at each end if you're using it on a single line layout, or the outer ends of the V15 pack have standard 33mm track centres to match the double track sections.

If you want more platform roads then there's an expansion set for the overhead station, which will allow it to cover another island platform and V15.