100 series Electric Coupler conversion

JR 500系

As per earlier noted on the 'What did you post deliver...' thread, I would like to share how I changed a non-electric coupler shinkansen to that of the newer electric coupler ones that we all grow to love so much ~~

The subject today is Tomix 92624, a rather old set of the 100 series, that comes with 7 cars; 2 front and rear end cars, 2 double decker Green cars, 1 motor car and 2 normal middle cars.

20151004_192238_zpsxbdnnats.jpg

The thing is, being the older generation of Tomix sets, this is didn't come with the all wheel pickup, which means no springs are included in the 2 double decker cars as well as the 2 normal cars. The front cars have them for the front and rear lights and the motor car, well, is a motor car. That means 4 carriages require an additional steel pickup piece that connects the wheel with springs to contact the plate so that the carriage can be installed with interior lights.

While I was doing the installation for the springs, I thought; would it be possible to fit them with electric couplers too? Turns out they can be done! Here's the step by step guide for doing this, including the installation for the electric piece for spring contacts:

20151004_192304_zpstv4ipdrg.jpg

Missing springs on the older models hence interior lighting is not possible...

20151004_192327_001_zps3q0uikta.jpg

Closer look

20151004_192507_zps0wbzavvc.jpg

First step is to remove the old bogie...

20151004_192524_zpszv9k1xya.jpg

I couldn't find the exact part number for buying the metal strip that I need to sit the springs, hence I got a different bogie from 'strange' source, as I only need the metal strip to sit the springs...

20151004_192559_zpsixeduuj8.jpg

Remove the metal strip that I require from the bogie...

20151004_192658_zpslktwins4.jpg

Install them on the 100 series bogie, and snap off the old hook-ring coupler... I hate this step, this just means the process is ir-reversible...  

20151004_192826_zps1ijxzosb.jpg

New 100 series bogie with metal strip for contact springs

to be continued on next post...

* Dang I always get the message: "You are posting more images than you are allowed to....'  ....  :(

• Like 1

Continued from above:

20151004_193102_zpsdzpcxgbh.jpg

Install the contact springs...

20151004_193128_zpsu0wldo3g.jpg

Place the electric coupler onto the springs; hook for front end and hole for rear end of car...

20151004_193215_zpshmfoffxm.jpg

Install back to its original place on the car and it's ready!

20151004_193850_zpslsfdlrea.jpg

Let's connect-to!

20151004_193801_zpst9bepy3p.jpg

Perfect!

20151004_193816_zpszkc5tnts.jpg

View from the sides...

20151004_193830_zpsurqe4xm8.jpg

View from below.

Sorry my layout is still out otherwise I might give this a run and see if the connection is as good as the new ones!

Now my 100 series has electric couplers~   :)

• Like 6

damn you jr500 i was worried this would work! must start looking at some conversions. it appears you were easily able to order enough of the pickup sets easily. in the early days of all wheel pickup i attempted to order enough for a train but no one would have more than a couple of the parts and could not get lots more from tomix...

it does get expensive if you need to get those pickups from other trucks.

jeff

damn you jr500 i was worried this would work! must start looking at some conversions. it appears you were easily able to order enough of the pickup sets easily. in the early days of all wheel pickup i attempted to order enough for a train but no one would have more than a couple of the parts and could not get lots more from tomix...

it does get expensive if you need to get those pickups from other trucks.

jeff

Yap ~   :P

It's actually a good thing, isn't it? Now we dun have to worry about the non-power coupled sets like the older ones ~ It seems they are quite easily converted, but I cant be sure until I tried it also on the Tomix E1 Max which is my next set without power couplers.

Come to think of it, it may also work on other trains like limited express or commuters ~~ Might need to try this out ~

I got the parts from my usual China secret source, which have the bogie set per piece for around 15 RMB per set which is around USD$2.40 or so... Not too bad, considering luckily I only have around 7-cars for this set and another 6 cars for the E1 Max... It sure adds up if you have all 16 cars to convert....  

Then there is the couplers, which, from the same source, cost around 15 RMB per set of 2 couplers (male & female) which is around USD$2.40.

So one car will be around:

2 bogie sets = 2 x USD$2.40 = UD$4.80

1 electric coupler set = USD$2.40.

Total = USD$7.20 * U can ignore the bogie sets if the springs for pick up are already present in the set.  

Total cost for converting a 16 car set (assuming older models WITHOUT pick-ups like this 100 series) =

USD$7.20 x 16 = USD$115.20.  

Deduction = USD$2.40 for couplers (only 1 set for both end cars) and USD$4.80 x 3 (No need for both end cars & motor car) = total deduction- USD$16.80

Total = USD$98.40

Yes it will be an expensive project for conversion of a 16 car set ~~ Luckily I don't have 16 car sets ~  :P   But the results are sure worthy!

Swap the bogies between cars do the pieces leftover from the cutting will face away from each other and wont catch the arms.

20151004_193830_zpsurqe4xm8.jpg

Great conversion.

Did you change the wheels also to the newer versions? Or use the older version wheels?

Edited by katoftw

Swap the bogies between cars do the pieces leftover from the cutting will face away from each other and wont catch the arms.

Good idea! Might try that ~

Great conversion.

Did you change the wheels also to the newer versions? Or use the older version wheels?

Thanks!

Sharp eye! How did you figure that?  :)

I wanted to use back the wheels from the 100 series, but they wouldn't fit in after the installation of the new metal strip... So I had to use the wheel that came with the new bogies, and swap the 100 series wheels back to the new bogie. ~~

I assumed you would've used the new wheels, but wasn't sure.  After attempting to use the newer style wheels in some Tomytec Train Collection trains, I didn't think the older ones would fit.