Small children riding the train in Japan

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

It’s a common sight on Japanese mass transit: children troop through train cars, singly or in small groups, looking for seats.

They wear knee socks, polished patent leather shoes, and plaid jumpers, with wide-brimmed hats fastened under the chin and train passes pinned to their backpacks. The kids are as young as six or seven, on their way to and from school, and there is nary a guardian in sight.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/09/why-are-little-kids-in-japan-so-independent/407590/

• Like 2

Interesting article.  I'm not shocked at what I am reading.  But others from poor public transport areas with high crime rates and from lazy cultures may be shocked.

Edited by katoftw

I don't see it as a big thing either. I was always going to school alone after the first two years (8 years old). But back then Budapest was much safer. Today it would be more dangerous, regardless of having at least one public transport stop within 300 meters everywhere within the city limits. Japan still seems to be much safer than the rest of the civilised world.